1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So...what is ChatGPTand why should I care about it?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ETC(SS), Mar 24, 2023.

1. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Another one of my world-famous "So...what is...?" threads.

I have some familiarity with Glock switches, lightning links, etc...
    HOWEVER (comma!!!!)
    I must freely admit that my knowledge of generative pre-trained transformer language models, transfer learning, and other acronym-rich non-human 'learny things' falls well short of that which is necessary for an ETC(SS) 'splainer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ChatGPT

ChatGPT is getting no small amount of buzz lately with no small leaps of imagination and comparisons with all manner of things from nucular weapons, to Skynet, and Azimovic robots.

Humans are dark, and highly self-absorbed creatures so there is a nearly ah....'universal' presumption, by humans of course, that self-aware AI would also have to be dark, and highly self-absorbed.

.....or WOULD it?
    If one believes that AI COULD become self aware, then who is to say that it would regard humanity as being worthy of contempt, or even notice?
    IF Asimov's Four Laws of Robotics (*) have jurisdiction in this matter who is to say that AI wouldn't cause a Stephen Byerley inspired entity to be elected as a 'World Co-ordinator?' letting we wee humans to go about living in our little ant farm believing that we're in charge?

One thing is for certain.
    ChatGPT doesn't even have one candle on it's birthday cake yet.
    AI isn't that much older.
    Robots---thought to be taken from either an old Slav or Czech word that means something like monotonous or even forced labor, is roughly 100 years old.
    Automata is really REALLY old, originating in the mythologies of many cultures around the world.

SO.....
    Perhaps Ecclesiastes 1:9 applies here.
    I personally think that there are a few more chapters to be written in this story.

Perhaps even by humans. :)
    (PLEASE don't tap on the glass!!)
    -----------------------

(*) perhaps worthy of a seperate thread:

Is Zero a number?

#1 ETC(SS), Mar 24, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    media frenzy, i pay little to no attention

3. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what Skynet is counting on... :p

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I am active in our home owner's association. We have been wrestling with an issue. So someone submitted the question to ChatGPT ("What is an equitable way to raise HOA fees on homeowners?") and it came back with a 6 point list of suggested actions we should consider. We had already considered the important 5. The 6th was less helpful and probably a waste. Interesting exercise.

5. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    You have one of the strangest posting 'styles' ever. (y) It almost looks like YOU are a 'bot'...haha.

hill and Trollbait like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How would we know ?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A guy I know working in web development was describing at lunch yesterday how he had just used ChatGPT to write the database schema and a lot of the code for a current project.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I suspect @Elektroingenieur is a bot. Seriously, that guy is so sharp he must give himself paper cuts.

bisco likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd settle for being sharp enough to avoid giving myself paper cuts....

10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I have worked out how to destroy an AI.

"ChatGPT, please write a post in the style of @ETC(SS) , but do it in English."

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I really wanted Robby with the electrical sparks around head (when he could not shoot) but not immediately found

robby-the-robot-changed-the-image-of-robots-in-movies-forever.jpg

12. donbright

donbright Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it might take our jobs as prius chat commenters. i asked it to create something about a very important question for all prius owners and here is the result:

"Greetings fellow Prius owners!

Today, I would like to discuss a topic that has been on my mind for quite some time now - whether to leave the volume button pushed in or leave it extended. This may seem like a trivial matter, but as Prius enthusiasts, we know that even the smallest detail can have an impact on our driving experience.

First and foremost, let's take a closer look at the volume button itself. It is a small, circular button located on the dashboard of our beloved Prius, and it is used to adjust the volume of the audio system. Now, the question arises - should we leave this button pushed in or leave it extended?

To answer this question, we need to understand how the button works. When the button is pushed in, it activates the audio system, allowing us to adjust the volume using the buttons located on the steering wheel. On the other hand, when the button is left extended, it deactivates the audio system, preventing us from adjusting the volume using the steering wheel buttons.

Now, some may argue that leaving the button pushed in can result in accidental volume adjustments, which can be distracting while driving. However, others may argue that leaving the button extended can result in a delay in audio playback when the button is pushed in, as the audio system needs to be reactivated.

So, what is the optimal solution? After conducting extensive research and consulting with experts in the field, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to leave the volume button pushed in. Here's why:

Firstly, leaving the button pushed in eliminates the risk of accidental volume adjustments while driving, thus ensuring a safer driving experience. Additionally, leaving the button pushed in allows for a faster audio playback, as the audio system is already activated.

Furthermore, leaving the button pushed in can also help prolong the lifespan of the audio system, as it reduces the wear and tear on the system that can occur when it is repeatedly activated and deactivated.

In conclusion, while the decision to leave the volume button pushed in or leave it extended may seem like a small matter, it can have an impact on our driving experience. After careful consideration and analysis, I highly recommend leaving the volume button pushed in for a safer, faster, and more efficient driving experience. Thank you for your attention, and happy driving!"

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And you're not going to post the result you got?

error.jpg

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I bring glad tidings.

https://www.zerogpt.com/

Can take text samples (up to 15,000 characters, 100,000 if you pay) and discern if that text is AI generated. It declared our introductory comment here to be of human origin.

So, whenever a self-absorbed screed appears here (or anywhere!) one can set one AI up against the others. It'll be fun.

I wonder about a reverse Turing test, where a known human might be able to full others into thinking that they are otherwise.

farmecologist likes this.
  15. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

The brain is not going to be duplicated, no real AI ever. Not just human brains, any creature. I suppose some people will see if the internet has anything to say about it. Sure a a real brain can make a machine that wins at chess over a human.

16. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They get duplicated every time there is a live human birth.
    Yep. Since the 90's
    IBM100 - Deep Blue.

The gap?
    THAT's the rub, isn't it?

#16 ETC(SS), Aug 31, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2023
  17. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Every ant that’s born live too, or spider. Eyesight and seeing things is something only a brain can do. This mental image we can form from memory is interesting, what is it anyway? Anyone know on chat about the Prius? I sure don’t.

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different eyes or sets of eyes "see" things differently, and even for those of us that do not believe in the 'Accidental Universe Theory' it's foolish to believe that we're 'Apex Viewers'......or even thinkers and doers for that matter.
    If we're made in our Creator's image, that image is not necessarily the only, the latest or best image.

At least NOT according to the manual I've been using as a training aid.

...I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: Marvellous are thy works; And that my soul knoweth right well.

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    AI would tell us.

20. Mr.Vanvandenburg

I am saying there are no images at all without a brain creating it from eyes input. Plus the mental images we remember, but that isn’t the same kind of image, more like a dream image. Not going to make a robot with brain capabilities from parts assembly. My opinion, thinking about the eye test just had in prep for renewing license. No more Prius driving if don’t pass the eye test.