1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, what phone works?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Raenstoirm, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Lars Herrnsdorf

Lars Herrnsdorf New Member

Re: Sony P900

I have tried with P800 with original BT software (not updated) with no sucess in my prius but my Nokia 3650 works !

Lars from Sweden

2. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have an extra Sony T-608 that I got as a replacement directly from Sony. It does not have the MSL# needed to change it to Verizon. I will sell it to someone that's on Sprint. I have the identical phone with the MSL# that I was able to convert to Verizon and it works fine.

3. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II

What was involved to get Verizon to convert your T608 from Sprint? I asked about it today, and the folks at the Verizon store led me to believe that it wouldn't work.

I'd like a pda/bluetooth phone combo that works with my prius 2004. I've concluded now that this is not going to happen from Verizon unless I do what you've done... either with the T608 or maybe the new Treo 610 coming out.

But I am also reading about needing MSL and ESN numbers and companies closing back doors as to prevent such conversions...... Is it too late? What's involved to get Sprint phone working on Verizon?

Thanks!

4. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You must have the unique MSL#. You get it from the person you buy the phone on from EBay. There are other ways to get it but I have only had success when the seller provided the MSL#.
    This only works for the Sony T608.

Instruction sheet for using the Sony T608 phone on Verizon

1) Charge the phone.

2) Find the MSL code for your specific phone. This code allows you to access
    certain service settings in the phone, such as the service provider.
    You can find it by ???

3) Find the ESN code for your specific phone. It's located under the battery in
    the phone.

4) Activate your phone with Verizon. If you already have Verizon service and are
    replacing an old phone, your new ESN can be entered over the Web. If you don't
    have Verizon service yet, call up and pick a plan, give them your ESN and write
    down your mobile phone number. They will ask/tell you that you need to dial *228
    to activate your phone - DO NOT DO THIS YET; tell them you will call later to
    activate it.

The following steps are somewhat tricky, so please read all the steps carefully
    before attempting them; because you are actually reprogramming the phone,
    varying from these steps can cause the phone to cease functioning. We are not
    responsible for any mistakes made under this section.

5a) Dial ##, then your 6-digit MSL code found in step 2.
    5b) Press the "Preferences" key. It should be the lower left soft key, the key
    on the left side that is the same as 'c' on the right side.
    5c) Select option 3, "Add Number".
    5d) Select option 2, "Edit".
    5e) Change your MDN to your full 10-digit mobile telephone number.
    5f) Approve it by pressing OK.
    5g) Change your MSID to the same full 10-digit mobile telephone number.
    5h) Approve it by pressing OK.
    5i) Select option 3, "Done".

6a) Access the Service Menu by dialing *#06#. When you dial this on the keypad
    it triggers the menu, so don't hit "Send". If you dial it incorrectly, do not
    panic - just wait several seconds and try again.
    6b) Select option 5, "NAM Programmi".
    6c) You will be prompted for a code: enter your 6-digit MSL code found in step
    6d) Select option 1, "Std. Parameters".
    6e) Scroll way down the list to Svc.Prog.Code, which is another word for the
    MSL. Change the MSL to 000000 (six zeros).

This upcoming last step basically dials Verizon so they can change the remaining
    settings on your phone OTA (over the air). Make sure you are in an area with
    good digital reception.

7a) Call *22801 (this time hit "Call").
    7b) At the prompt, select option 1 to activate your phone. During the music,
    they will change all of your phone settings (including the MSL) and activate
    your phone for use on the Verizon network.

The last thing to know is that your "phonelock code" will be set to the last 4
    digits of your mobile phone number. This is the code required for access under
    MENU:Settings:Security.

I have done this successfully twice without difficulty but with some apprehension even the second time.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Does GSM work at DFW and ORD?

About 3 years ago, I was a Cingular (PacBell then) customer and the GSM would not work anywhere but So . Cal. Major problem was DFW and Chicago airports- when your plane got stuck at the gate (and they let you use your phones), everyother carrier could get through but Cingular (GSM).
    I also go to remote areas in Ohio, with no GSM signature. So I switched to AT&T TDMA with analog band.

Flash forward 3 years, and things have changed. Cingular is buying AT&T, bluetoooooooooth only works on GSM, CDMA (back to Cingular/AT&T GSM, T-Mobile, Sprint) . Now in my area- Orange County AT&T TDMA service is getting lousy, so it will force a change in January (contract up).
    Questions:
    1. Does GSM now work in DFW and ORD?
    2. Is there a tri band phone with bluetooth (TDMA, GSM, analog and bluetooth) or am I just wishing???? Seimens has a tri-band but no bluetooth, so far on this phone.
    3. Any word on what Cingular is going to force us into ? all GSM???

6. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    So... I have a Prius 2004, and a new SE K700i, but no Bluetooth in the Prius. :( (None of the Canadian model Priuses have Bluetooth.)

Still while I can't test the K700i Bluetooth compatibility with the Prius, I can warn you guys that while it's an excellent phone, the K700i's battery life is poor with Bluetooth active. (I use a Bluetooth headset.) I'm not surprised though, considering the significant across-the-board upgrades this phone has over the T630. It's kinda weird being able to play video and movie trailers on my phone's tiny little screen. :D

[Broken External Image]:http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/i/z/rv/2004/03/se-k700-350x300.gif

The firmware still has a few bugs though. So, if you're in the market for a new small feature-loaded phone, this is a definite option, but you might want to wait a couple of months until the bugs are worked out. But by then, maybe the S700 will be out. ;)

7. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    It looks like that at least for now, the SE K700i is problematic with the Prius.

This could be due to the firmware though, since there have been a couple of Bluetooth bugs with this unit with the current firmware. However, a new firmware is out which may hopefully correct the bugs. (There have been at least three revisions up to now but I haven't tried any of them yet.)