1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So why did you buy?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Rascal, May 26, 2008.

1. sophia_frederika

sophia_frederika New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got spoiled being able to drive my (at the time) husband's hch while he was away for a couple of years. After I relocated to the other side of the country to stay with family I found that I just couldn't stand regular cars and having to gas up once every week (and sometimes twice). It was the reputation for reliability, easy maintenance and high levels of customer satisfaction that tipped the scales in favor the Prius.

And what other car is there that has its own cult and gains you a free 10 year membership with purchase?

2. dwdean

dwdean Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Well, it was a mix of environmental considerations and economic protest.

A couple of years ago it became clear that the automobile operation line-item in my budget was getting steadily larger and there didn't appear to be any reason to believe that it would shrink anytime in the foreseeable future. With that realization came the understanding that while I couldn't really control the size of the line-item, unless I could make un-realistic changes in my life, I could control where I spent it.

The choices were pretty cut and dry: I could just carry on and give all of the line-item to big oil; or I could give a large chunk of it to Toyota or Honda and doll out little dribbles to big oil. To my way of thinking that was a no-brainer, the company with the best hybrid was going to get the money and big oil could have what was left.

It may not be much, but sooner or later enough people are going to do something similar. The smart energy companies should already be looking for other things to do (besides chasing the whole hydrogen fool thing.)

3. Ailu

Ailu Prius Groupie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GREAT post. Perfectly articulated. And I couldn't agree more.

4. metal_chair

metal_chair Nashville Prii Unite!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    overall concept

5. CLEEVE

CLEEVE National Security Advocate

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I bought mine simply to save money at the pump.

6. N3FOL

N3FOL Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1. I did not get rid of my other car, but sold my old '96 minivan. In Nov. of '07, I had a bad dream that gas prices will increase by next year :eek: so I decided to get the most fuel efficient small car in the world today.;)

7. pjcheck

pjcheck New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I do home health physical therapy for a living - so I do alot of stop and go driving, averaging around 10 miles between patients. I was driving a 04 outback and would get around 26-28 mpg around town. My husband was driving our 99 protege and it was dying. So it only made sense for me to get a car that was much more efficient and for him to take the subaru for his 10 mile daily commute. I've had my prius for 2 weeks now and i'm averaging 48-49 mpg (it has over 700 miles already - had 36 when I got it).

I have two kids 3 and under and I drive a prius and I love it! I'll never own anything bigger than the subaru (it's the biggest car i've ever had) and I hate the soccer moms who feel they have to have a SUV....and I refuse to ever own a minivan.

8. stacyh

stacyh New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've been obsessed with them from the start, and my parents decided to buy me one for college. It's great because I can be green and also save on gas, since I have to pay for that myself. It's also made me a much safer driver, what with braking really, really slowly and not accelerating on city streets - now I have an incentive. (Oh, how the economists are right about that.) I never knew how to parallel park before - no idea how I passed my driving exam - but thanks to the rearview camera I can do it in one or two motions now.
    I named it Pip. (This was long before I knew that also referred to the bars of gas left - I had in mind the LOTR character.)

9. Malkavian

Malkavian New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It was a combination of things.

Gas mileage--my current vehicle (06 accord 4cyl) gets about 26-27 mpg, which is fine on my 60 mile round trip commute, but at 200k miles on it, pieces are falling off. For mileage sure, I could have gotten a used Civic, paid cash for it and done the same thing I'm doing with this car--driving it till the wheels fall off. But, that brings me to the next point:

Reliability. I had great luck with my first used Accord, but the second nickel-and-dimed me to death with problems. Besides the reputation of the Toyota brand, I wanted to get a new vehicle that would be supported by the manufacturer.

So between those two things, and the fact that Prius is commanding an amazing premium in this area so far as I can tell, the TCH was my choice, and hopefully I'll be getting the keys to one in a month or so :)

10. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wanted a new car because of our first baby was coming and wanted a safer car with a hatch. We had an old GEO Metro sedan. I chose the Prius because of it's low emissions. That was really the main reason. It is just a bonus that it looks great, is very reliable and full of cool gadgets. I'm very happy with it.

11. loftishb

loftishb HughB

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Gas Mileage, Reliability (its a Toyota), but when I test drove - I thought I would probably end up getting that Camry anyway, but the technology of the Prius was so cool to me that I was sold.

12. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Previous car (95 Wrangler) was well beyond retirement. I'd put in about $1300 in the past year & it seemed to want more. All signs were converging toward Prius.

Removed the Thule roof rack, and the rest of her went to trade-in.

Never looked back, but ... every so often, when I least expect it, I do a phantom gear-shift -- I do miss the manual transmission.

13. TerryRoss

TerryRoss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Necessity. My wife broke her left ankle in February, and would be unable to drive stick for a couple of months. We had already been talking about replacing her car (a 5-speed 1994 Sentra) and couldn't see any point in buying something with worse mileage, so the Prius was an obvious choice.

That said, we've been delighted with the new car (2008 Barcelona Red, Package 2, about $1000 below MSRP).

14. chinoloco93

chinoloco93 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was ironic. We were celebrating Earth day on the sunday before (4/22) taking my daughter to learn about the oceans at the Aquarium of the Bay in San Francisco. We talked about the prius for the longest time but my it wasn't economical since I owed more on my then lexus then it was worth. Gas prices hit 3.81 I think that day and since we were talking earth day, my wife and I took the plunge and showed our daughter we can take responsibility for the earth. She knows the prius as the "saving the earth" car. Do we get money savings? Sure do. Enough to offset the losses from the previous car? maybe in 5 years when the prius is paid off, but responsibility always came with a price and for us, it was the best thing to do and it allowed us to teach our daughter valuable lessons in doing what you can to make a difference.

15. 4G63

4G63 I quit boosting

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    gas mileage! enough said. i think a hybrid is a good long term investment. and i was tired of shifting my own gear... and now i'm kinda bored because i'm not able to shift my own gear.... :tongue1:

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in the same category as Brodie here. As a student of ecology, watershed restoration and a land conservation intern It is hard to understand the problems associated with fossil fuel use and not act to reduce my own negative impact. I try my best to limit my hypocrisy. lol

17. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We bought this car two years earlier than our general plan.

<------ The reason is entirely my fault, my car had an electrical fire.

She was waiting for the Volt... She likes the Prius and since they have them out now, and they are quite a dependable ride, we opted for one of them now.

18. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Needed a new car;
    Cool techno geegaws;
    Big!;
    Screw camel jockeys and 2-bit dictators.

19. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought mine in Sept 05. It was time to replace my Jeep. I was tired of $50+ fillups and didn't really need anything the Jeep offered.

At $30k for a new Jeep, I opted for an 05 package 5 (I think - whatever the best was :D) and added leather to it. It ended up being about the same as a Jeep would have been and had more

I'm saving about $4k a year now by driving the Prius with gas prices at their current high.

20. Tardis Wannabe

Tardis Wannabe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ordered a Prius this month because:
    1. own a V-6 Passat that gets 22 mpg
    2. love that space with the hatchback! How many bags of pine bark will fit in there?
    3. think the technology is cool!
    4. Think the car looks distinctive and modern
    5. ready to help out the environment
    6. Ok, I've been secretly coveting them for years

covet covet covet