1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOC question on a PIP vs Regular Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by elementnomore, Jan 29, 2014.

1. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dear PIP forum,

I have a regular prius gen iii and I use a scan gauge ii to help monitor 'things'. One of the 'things' I monitor is the batteries SOC and I have noticed if I use regen down large hills (6 miles) I can bring up my battery to 80 (amps) and then the battery won't take any more charge and the engine runs to slow the car. I would guess that if you took a PIP down that same hill you could use the regen to take on more charge, is that correct? Does a PIP register more than 80? I ask because I do notice that there are some hills that I drive up and then down and I miss out on all the regen possibilities.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

2. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know the actual numbers or whether it show on a scan gauge, but the PIP can indeed store more regenerated power then the regular Prius. If you switch to EV mode when going downhill, the stored energy is allocated to provide more EV range, even if you had previously used it all.

3. chesleyn

chesleyn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Element, I use a SG2 as well. If you are using this xgauge:

Battery Amps 07E2218A 0461858A0000 2810 0001000AF334 amp x.xx Amps (+ for draw) [Does not work on PHV]​

then we can't check how many amps... at least I never tried because it stated it does't work for the PHEVs.

I'm using SOC, total fuel cost, load, and something else.. Let me know the xgauge and I will check it out.

4. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And now the bad news. If you had a PiP and fully charged it at night (as most folks do) there would be no room left for regeneration down that 6 mile hill. My hill is only 1 mile but I have to go into Neutral about a quarter of the way down or the ICE starts and ruins my mpg for short (all EV) trips.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    in that case, the best thing to do is use the timer to limit charging before you leave. a bit of experimentation will teach how much to leave off and pick up free on the downhill run.

6. elementnomore

elementnomore Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Chesleyn, Thanks! I misspoke. I just looked and yes I do use amps as well as SOC. I had actually never noticed the PiP can't use amps.

Amps allows me to see how much draw I am taking off the battery and putting back on it. I read somewhere that braking hard enough to read 60 amps is most efficient to charge my HV battery. So if I am coming off the 10 highway on a long exit ramp I can push the brake hard enough to read 60 amps and recharge my battery as quickly as I can. It also helped me to not brake harder near a red light. SOC, apparently the car likes 60 (why I was confused 60/60) and I can bring it up to 80 if I go down a high hill and then the motor kicks in. If I am careful driving around on near flat grades I can 'ride the pack' and not accelerate too hard and draw the battery down from 60 SOC to near 50 or 48 but then the motor kicks in to charge the battery pack back up to 60. I also see this on the freeway in stop and go traffic for miles with the ac on. Moving along at 10 mph I can just run off the HV battery to a point. I think that I am answering my own question in that 60 vs 80 are just a percentage of the battery back and if the PIP has a larger battery pack, you can take more of a regen charge.

CaliforniaBear, makes total sense. I was more thinking that you are out for a drive and encounter a large hill pass, you drive up eating up all the battery and then you drive down capturing some energy but for me if the hill is to great I dump that regen energy on the way down. But if you did live at the top of a canyon you would want to sleep with the car empty as you know you are just going to coast down the hill.

State of Charge 07E2015B 0441855B0000 2808 03E800FF0000 SOC

Thx,

Ken

7. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately the timer works on time not amount of charge. Since my SOC before charging isn't the same every day and I don't leave the house at the same time every day there is really no start time or end time that will work and you can't set both. With a 1 mile hill its not big problem to leave home with a full charge and just use Neutral at the appropriate place on the hill. A 6 mile hill would not be so nice.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    gotcha.

9. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    CaliforniaBear, are you saying that if you lived at the top of a 6 mile hill, didn't charge overnight, and started down that hill each day without refreshing EV miles, you could completely recharge all 13 or so EV miles in a matter of just minutes rather than the standard 3 hour (or half that at 220v), maybe even have to shift to neutral? That's some pretty crazy regen capability that the system has if so. Did I understand correctly?
    Thanks,
    Bill

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    of course the steepness of the hill would also affect recharge rate. so a combination of slope and distance will add X miles per minute. i'm not sure i've ever seen anyone do this calculation, but i think some might have recieved a full charge in the mountains out west.

11. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I didn't say that. I said there is no convenient way to partially charge the battery so that going down a 1 mile hill will exactly fill the battery and won't cause the ICE to start. With 1 mile of downhill I can prevent the ICE from charging by using Neutral for the last part of the hill. With 6 miles that would be too dangerous, to long and fast in Neutral or too much friction brake use.

6 miles would never fully charge a fully discharged battery and doesn't relate to my comments.

12. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lithium battery can't crank out that much amp in the cold weather. This is where NiMh is better.

I had an incident where ICE triggered (around 45 mph) on my 3 miles short trip, started with a full charge. At the end of the trip, I turned on Torque to check the allowed discharge power. It was 21 hp (15.5kW) and battery temp was 58 deg F. I must have exceed that limit and the ICE triggered. Under normal condition, I would have 38 kW.

Tracksyde likes this.
  13. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've done a full charge from Donner Summit to the Sacramento Valley. Its about 65 miles but there are some flat spots and uphill areas where I use HV so its not a simple charging run. I keep just below 62 mph downhill so the ICE doesn't run when charging.

markabele likes this.
  14. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hello,

I travel about 60 miles each way to work 5 days a week. I leave the house with a full charge (about 12 miles). I get about 9 actual miles. I have a gradual climb for about 30 miles (2500 ft to 5400 ft) upon arrival at work I have driven about 24 miles in EV mode. I have regenerated about 5 miles on the down hill. I do however keep the car at 60 in EV mode. Currently I am able to charge at work. I get about 8-9 miles before charge is depleted. I am very happy with the results.

15. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Try to use the EV miles for the very slowest parts of your commute where the ICE isn't as efficient. You may be able to get 11+ miles of range this way.

16. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks for the tip, all suggestions are appreciated. I will make this change and see if I improve the distance. Thanks again.

17. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A continuous dropping road takes 15-20 miles to fill up the battery...depending on how steep it is.
    For example, Tioga pass to Lee Vining is ~12.5 miles and 3200 ft drop with no real flat or uphill segments. On this I got ~10 miles of charge, out of ~13-14 for a full charge. Some parts may have been too steep and I was foreced to use friction brakes instead of flying off into the canyon 1000' below.

Mike

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What do battery temps get to when you are filling the pack that fast?

19. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I have no idea. Obviously the car is designed to handle this and probably much worse. When I did it the air temp was probably 75-80F.

Mike

20. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Mark,
    I made some adjustments yesterday, saved my charge for non highway driving on the way to work. Ended up using the full charge with about a half mile left on my trip. Then, on the way home I changed my route to stay off the highway and I got nearly 11 miles out of the charge of 13.4. Do you know what changes the estimate amount of miles after being fully charged? I have had from 16.4 to 11.6 after charging.