1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SoCal 2008 Prius, Package #6, 3-year-lease up to $450/month -- Good deal or not?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by lolabelle, Aug 26, 2007.

1. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Hey everyone,

I'm moving to L.A. in late October and have been talking to different dealers in the area about having a 2008 Prius, package #6 ready for me when I arrive.

The best deal and best service I've found so far is from the North Hollywood dealer. He says he can get me the 2008 Prius, with the color and specs I want (Barcelona Red, bisque leather interior, Package #6) by the day I get there for around $400 a month for a three-year lease.

That being said, he said it could be UP to $450/month to as low as $350/month -- depending on my credit score which he can only check the day I get there as I have to sign some papers in person. My credit score's pretty high (about 750) so I figure it'll be lower than higher.

Is this a good deal? I'm moving from New York so I've never owned a car and am kind of clueless about this all!

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Daniela

P.S. Is getting the invisible bra worth it? How much will that add to my lease payments?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 26 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]502363[/snapback]</div>
    Invisible bra is good in that it protects the hood from chips if you're doing a lot of freeway driving. But how much are they charging for this? You might get a better price shopping for it yourself. Unless they are requiring you do it because it's a lease and then you're stuck paying their price. Which could be very high.

There is a lot here that isn't said. What is the outright purchase price? How much extra cr@p are they going to force you to add on? Like paint protection, etching, lojack, etc? And when the three year lease is up, how much more would you pay to buy the car outright if you want it?

I'm paying about what you are but at the end of five years, I'll own my car outright and it will still have some value. There's just not enough information.

I'd think you would be able to find a car for purchase. Or is there a reason you only want to lease? You might be better off in a rental and then shopping around for a car. We have plenty of dealerships in So. Cal and if you're willing to drive a bit you can certainly find your car and a deal. Even if you have to drive to San Diego. (2 hours from L.A.)

Consider contacting Howard Sheehy, the Internet/Fleet Manager at

Kearny Mesa Toyota,
    4910 Kearny Mesa Road,
    San Diego, CA 92111

ph: 858-335-5815,

email: [email protected]

They don't add on and they don't charge more than MSRP. They also won't lie to you and tell you they'll have a 2008 when they won't. I'd check with them even if you're not planning to buy or lease.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 26 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]502363[/snapback]</div>
    You are going to be paying at least $12600 for the priveledge of driving a car for 3 years. IMO you'd be better off buying it. Read through www.carbuyingtips.com. Don't finance any add ons. You can use www.cars.com to search through dealers' inventory.

The VentureShield job on my car is worth $500 for the bumper, hood, and lights package. If I had known about it a year and 16000 miles earlier the first trip would have been to the installer. I have not had it installed long enough to see it prevent any damage but it will protect the paint against chips, scratches and scrapes. The plastic is installed by an indy shop. It may be done at the dealer but you will pay more.

4. knownasmichael

knownasmichael New Member

damn 450 a month for 3 years and you dont even own it? im paying 450/month right now for 5 years to own. You could do the same and by adding 2 more years u can own it.

5. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

everyone -

Thanks for your replies.

Just FYI, my dealer isn't asking me to add the invisible bra or anything else -- this is just something I've read about on these forums. But after reading what you all replied, it sounds like I probably want to get it separately (i.e. not through the dealer) as I'll save some money. Is it an in-and-out kind of thing, as in I can drop it off Saturday morning and have it back Saturday evening? Being in LA without your car for much longer would be a big bother.

Anyway, I do NOT want to own the car as I will likely move back to NYC at the end of 3 years and definitely don't want a car there. Also, please note that I'll be paying UP TO $450 but it's more likely to be $400/month. Or even lower, perhaps, depending, like I said on my credit score. So is $400/month for a 3-year-lease when I DON'T want to own it, a good deal?

Thanks again for everything!! I really appreciate all your help. I feel like Larry David on 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' - makes me want to say hi to every Prius owner out there! ;-)

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i hate to echo the masses here, but even $400 is a car payment, why not buy the car, pay on it for 3 years and then sell it? if i were you, i'd run the numbers and see what will be cheaper at the end of 3 years and go with that.

i have friends who lease their cars for $250 a month each. that sounds more like a lease payment to me, $400 seems very high.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you drop your car off in the morning you can get it back in the afternoon providing it isn't going to rain. My guy wanted to keep mine overnight because it started raining in the afternoon and he didn't want me driving home on the freeway in the rain with it newly installed in case it started to peel or something.

I also echo the buy it and sell it. If you can afford to buy it outright or on a three year payment it will be cheaper in the long run than the lease. Selling it won't be a problem if you plan ahead. You seem like a plan ahead kind of person.

If you only need the car for three years and plan to sell it at the end, I wouldn't be so fussy about the color. Sure, get the highest package for resale and put the clear bra on it immediately to protect it. But if you can't get a red/bisque and end up with a blue/gray, take it. Especially if they offer a better deal financially, I.E. below sticker. If you are a member of CostCo try going through them. If your bank or credit union has a car buying service, go through them. You'll be assured of a better price and having the car on time than a promise from a dealer. Dealers make all sorts of promises. Not all keep them.

8. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

Hey all,

Thanks again for your continually helpful advice.

I unfortunately really don't want to buy a car unless the amount I save is SIGNIFICANTLY high. Anyone have any personal experience estimates on that?

Thanks for the info re: the invisible bra. Do you get this installed at any car shop or is there a brand name? (Sorry for what may same like obvious questions -- this is a New Yorker who's about to have her first car since high school!!)

I will call the dealers some of you personally recommended and see if they think the $350-450 range is too high or on the mark.

Thanks again everyone, and keep the advice coming! :)

Galaxee, I meant to ask -- your friends who are paying $250 per month to lease their cars -- are they Priuses? Please note that I am interested in package #6 (because I need GPS - no sense of direction here! especially not when moving to LA for the first time!; and want leather seats b/c Ã'm known to spill!). For a high-end Prius, you still don't think that a $400/month lease is reasonable?

9. jjlawyer

jjlawyer Junior Member

The current money factors and residuals that toyota provides for the Prius are not that good. I think the money factor is .00275 and the 3 year residual is about 50%. there is no way you will be getting a package 6 for $400 per month without significant money down. I think you will likley find the payment well over $500 with tax with no money down. You need to ask your dealer for the specifics of your deal: money factor, residual, msrb, selling price, bank charges, cap cost reduction, payment. With those numbers, we can tell you if its a good deal.

10. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jjlawyer @ Aug 28 2007, 07:38 AM) [snapback]503170[/snapback]</div>
    JJLawyer:

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I will try to get these numbers as soon as possible and come back and check everything with all of you helpful folks.

He did indeed say I would be getting $400/month wiht $0 down to due to my good credit but I'm going to check with one or two more dealers that people on this forum have recommended to see if they think that's possible or if this guy is just making impossible promises.

Thanks again, everyone!

11. jjlawyer

jjlawyer Junior Member

You can tell the dealer I will take one too if he does the deal at $400 with 0 down.

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 28 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]503221[/snapback]</div>
    How many miles will you be permitted to drive during the lease term and what is the charge for excess miles? Quoting unrealistically low mileage allotments, i.e., 8,000 miles per annum, and charging usurious rates for excess mileage is a favorite method of advertising attractively low lease payments.

13. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

IsrAmeriPrius: 12-15,000 mi/year so it's reasonable.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolabelle @ Aug 28 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]503487[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, 12,000 to 15,000 is reasonable, but the cost for 12,000 is substantially lower than the cost for 15,000. Which one is it? I don't like the fudge factor. If they are not giving you complete, accurate and detailed information, they are out to scam you by plain old fashioned bait and switch. Beware.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Daniela, it should take 4 hours to install the clear bra. You can find a list of installers at www.ventureshield.com. Read through www.carbuyingtips.com. You don't seem to be getting straight answers from the dealer. A good sign of a bait & switch. It may be time to run, not walk away.

16. lolabelle

lolabelle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Aug 28 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]503540[/snapback]</div>

Thanks everyone. I'm definitely not done with my search yet. To be fair to the dealer in question I haven't asked all the questions I should have yet, so he hasn't yet had a chance to asnwer them. If he doesn't give me 15000/mi year I'm looking elsewhere. Thanks again all! (and I'm already reading carbuyingtips.com)!

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't sell the cloth upholstery short. It clean up remarkably well, even if you are a spiller.

And I'd be talking with at least 3-5 dealers at the same time, not just one.

18. Katebell1977

Katebell1977 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I dont know but I just signed a deal i dont have my car yet but i got a 07 prius package 2 with leather and extended warranty and gap coverage for 468/mo purchase I have not accepted delivery so i hope i got a good deal because its hard to get a deal on these since there are hardly any rebates and I could have gotten a package 6 but no warranty and gap because that would have put my payment super high without a down payment. i drive around town a lot with my kids and i have a dodge durango 07 model year with a hemi. So i thought getting a prius would be better than settling for a loaded avenger or cobalt. I am looking into satellite radio for it but i am not sure if its wired for it or not. my car is green with dark grey interior i am excited about it. i dont know if i can get used to it but i am going to have to :) we went to hb toyota in orange county because my husband works on the owners cars. My husband is a mechanic for a very high end line so we dropped the name of the place he works and i got some $$$$$$ off the warranty and got the package one price on a pack 2

19. SilveradoCyn

SilveradoCyn New Member

If that is the only information you are getting from the dealer, you could be getting a great deal, or being taken to the cleaners.

Leasing has a few other issues to consider:
    How long is the lease?
    How many miles are you allowed each year?
    What is the residual value at the end of the lease?

How much do you pay up front?

No one here can tell you if you have a good deal or not. That will depend on how you use your car.

20. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    DON'T lease. As stated, You are giving 100% of your money away. To me, that is significant. Mileage will be limited to about 12000 per year. Scratches, dents, tire wear will be assessed with NO mercy. You could look at several hundred or thousand to get out of the lease. Lease and loose are synonymous.