1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Socket turns loose on spark plug head

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gabriel Teixeira, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Gabriel Teixeira

Gabriel Teixeira Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to replace the spark plugs of my 2006 Prius, but the deep well 5/8 socket attached to a 2 in extender just turns loose, as if it does not fit in the top of the spark plug. I tried also 3/4 and 13/16 but those don't even fit in the spark plug well. I tried in another spark plug to the same result. Does someone had the same problem to replace to spark plugs?

2. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ive never had a problem but if your socket has a rubber insert make sure its pushed all the way to the bottom or remove it but you will need some way to pull the plug from the hole once its lose ..if that does not work Im not sure what to tell you, changing plugs is pretty straight forward

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My Gen 3 spark plugs took a 9/16" socket. I had to go find a deep swivel socket with magnet. Found one at Auto Zone on third try.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the proper gen 2 sub forum from the Prius v sub forums...

If ya'll see a thread in the wrong forum, report it; the report we saw for this thread was from someone who didn't even reply here. Thanks.

5. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Sounds like you're trying to change them without removing the wipers and cowling, it's worth it to remove them, only takes a minute and gives you a better view into the cylindrical hole you're dealing with, and do remember to have either a magnet or rubber grommet type device to extract the loosened plug, and keep everything clean. It's worth getting the correct plugs so as not to repeat the process frequently.

6. Gabriel Teixeira

Gabriel Teixeira Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realized my mistake of using a socket without the rubber insert, so the top of the spark plug would touch the end of the well of the socket before the hexagonal socket mated to the spark plug. Just went to AutoZone to buy the proper socket and replaced the spark plugs. First time I ever did it and worked like a charm! Thank for all your help!

bisco likes this.
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That had to be a deeper socket, too, since the rubber grommet doesn't reduce the socket depth.

8. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Also make sure you hand-thread the spark plug back into its hole before tightening. I've hear of people cross-threading the plug and its the engine head that cross-threads since its made of aluminum.