1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Softex Cleaner

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vinoh, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can regular leather cleaner and conditioner be used on the Softex material? Thanks. --Dave

2. priusvgator

priusvgator New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was wondering the same thing! I haven't checked the manual yet.

3. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On page 350 of the 2012 Prius V owner's manual it states the following,

"Cleaning the synthetic leather areas:
    - Remove loose dirt using a vacuum cleaner.
    - Apply a mild soap solution to the synthetic leather using a sponge or soft cloth.
    - Allow the solution to soak in for a few minutes.
    - Remove the dirt and wipe off the solution with a clean, damp cloth.

I edited my original post as, after taking another look at the manual, I noticed that I had posted the directions for cleaning regular leather vice synthetic (i.e. Softex) leather. I'm not really sure why Toyota has instructions for cleaning regular leather as the V only comes with Softex. With this being said, the directions aren't much different for the synthetic leather. Woolite isn't specifically recommended ... I think it would still be safe to use, however you might want to do some more research in order to determine what Toyota considers to be a "mild soap." :)

4. Vinoh

Vinoh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the good info. I had leather in the past that cracked badly because I did not use conditioner regularly. Maybe Softex does not have the same problem. --Dave

5. Guill

Guill Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Vinoh,

Please take another look at my post, I revised my post to include the correct directions for cleaning Softex.

6. fattymoocow

fattymoocow New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I need help! My Prius is only a week and 3 days old and I have been wearing dark jeans and I noticed on the left side of my bisque softex seats (driver side) where I would get out of the car, there's already a bit of staining from my the dye of my jeans rubbing off on the softex. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to get rid of this? I'm really bummed about this and this was one of the reasons why I didn't want the light interior but I just fell in love with the car. I can't believe it's barely been a week and there's already some discoloration on my seats. The staining is light and I saw it early but I'm just wondering now what is considered "mild soap" so that I can go ahead and get rid of it and keep up with my seats. I can already tell this light interior is going to be part enemy! :(

7. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed a pen mark on my SofTex seat the other day. I've tried rubbing alcohol to remove the mark, and it didn't work. Does anyone have any suggestions for other things I might try?

8. Wanderer

Wanderer Hybrid neophyte

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I haven't used any of these but this is what I'd try:

I would try this in an inconspicuous spot first but maybe an alcohol and baking soda solution? Rubbing alcohol and Wisk? (it may be a pain to remove the blue from Wisk) Or Woolite or Maybe Dawn detergent diluted.

Zaino also supposedly has a good product for cleaning synthetic leather but again no experience.
    W

9. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wanderer, thanks! I'll look into all of those ideas and let you all know if any of them pan out for me.

10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner should work great for this. $14/gal. Go to their website and see if they have a distributor in your area.

MB860 ? 2

11. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just put in an order for a pint of P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. Thanks, The Critic! Will report back on how it works out.

1 person likes this.
  12. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    For what it's worth . . .

I bought an aluminum ladder and slid it over the softex on the back seats, leaving black marks.

Soap and water did no good at all.

So I got the "Weiman Leather Wipes" product that we use on our leather furniture. It comes in a pop-up container like Wet Wipes do. It took the black stuff off immediately and completely.

13. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Let us know how well it works. If anyone is local to the San Jose area, Id be glad to let you have some of my gallon.

14. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you have some kind of heavy stain try "orange oil"

15. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, the P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner didn't work on the pen mark. Oh well! I'm sure I'll be glad to have it when other cleaning needs arise, but it's back to the drawing board for the pen mark removal.

16. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry to hear. Hopefully it will still be of use for routine clean-up.

MB860 ? 2

17. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Try a 'Mr.Clean" eraser....!!!

18. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    An update: I bought a Mr. Clean eraser per CLUBGUY's suggestion, but hadn't gotten around to trying it yet. At some point though, I did notice though that the pen mark seemed to be fading. It's actually barely visible now! I have no idea how this happened -- if it was residual P&S Xpress cleaner that slowly worked on it, or if it was sun-bleached away, or .. I don't know what other options there might be. So I'm not sure how helpful my update will be to others, but at least it says that pen marks can go away! Attached is one photo of the original mark, and one taken of the same spot today. I can still see the mark if I look very carefully, but it's essentially gone. I haven't touched it since the P&S Xpress cleaner attempt two weeks ago.

Attached Files:

19. UserError

UserError Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone tried the armour all leather wipes?

20. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You might try Gonzo stain remover. You can buy a 1 ounce spray container on Amazon for less than $6.00 which includes shipping. I haven't used it on SofTex but I have used it on other things with good success.