1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SofTex seats stained by jeans

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by therealdana, Jan 9, 2017.

1. therealdana

therealdana Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Howdy,

Over the summer i purchased a 2013 Prius v with the Softex leather. As we move into the colder months, i've been utilizing the seat warmers more and more. Then, one day, to my horror, the light tan seats showed tremendous staining from blue jeans (mind you that they have been washed probably 20 times, and are a year or so old).

Googling, i found a thread on another forum that mentioned a solution. Here's the content since I can't post links:

"Woolite and water at a 6(water) to 1(Woolite) will do the job. A soft bristled brush may be needed. The seats are leather with a vinyl coating so a product like Aerospace 303 will keep them supple once cleaned without being greasy/shiny. I always use distilled water due to the super hard mineral content of the water where I live but it's not a must. Using high dollar leather products on "treated" leather (vinyl encapsulated) is pointless. On Euro leather (no vinyl) then quality leather products are called for.
    The New 2017 Corolla iM" (Rav4 forum post from 2010)

I haven't tried the woolite yet to get the stains off. The first time the staining occured, I used leather cleaner/conditioner all-in-one to remove the staining, though some was still visible. I plan to use woolite next to try to get new staining out.

Now, the stains have returned AGAIN and are equally as marking. Reminder, i have 3 pair of jeans that are at least a year old, so it's not something that should be happening. Regardless, I've never seen a leather seat stain from jeans, ever, in any other car.

The car is three years old, and had zero signs of staining on the seats. Why now are the seats staining? Is there some sort of repellent that has worn off finally?

Can anyone else chime in on a solution, or experience with this problem. I can't imagine having to deal with this on a regular basis. The stains are saddening and make my new (to me) car seem beat-up. :(

Thanks in advance!

2. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had stains from jeans on my softex seats a couple of times. I just cleaned it of with some all purpose cleaner. I don't remember which one. The seats cleaned up easily each time it stained. It seems the softex is pretty durable and the stain was only on the surface. No worse than cleaning dead bugs off the windshield.

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Any all purpose cleaner or a simple mild soap solution. Remember that anything you put on there could react with the jeans and cause more staining. I use Windex on mine. Leather cleaner/treatment is the worst thing you can use.

BTW, the seats are certainly NOT leather with a vinyl coating.

4. therealdana

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    The stains on my seats are not simply wiping away. It's taking some scrubbing effort with a cloth and then there are still some residual stains left. Do you have seat heaters? I'm guessing the heaters are allowing the softex to open up a bit and absorb the dye.

How often do you have to clean your seats? Have you found a way to prevent the stains (aside from taking my pants off)?

why would leather cleaner/treatment be the worst thing i could do? If they seats are NOT leather with a vinyl coating, then I'd assume you're telling me that SofTex is plain old leather. To me leather would benefit from leather cleaner/treatment. Seemed to work fine before in my cherokee, and before in my Tahoe.

Thanks for the help everyone! Keep the tips coming :D

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Softex is not leather. What is SofTex®?

I rotate wearing about 5 pair of jeans from 3 manufacturers in my light grey Softex '12. Some of the jeans have been new never washed, some very old. No stains.

#5 mikefocke, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. therealdana

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the google. I have seen that page before and have also seen conflicting opinions on this site and others.

So what's causing the stains then? Mike, do you have seat heaters? it seems to me that the seat heaters are the only variable here that might be the issue. warming the material is allowing it to absorb dye, i suspect. If that's the case, Toyota has severely effed up with their testing of this material. On the flip side, I bought this car at the end of August, and in Richmond, VA it was still VERY hot some days meaning the material was very warm. I was wearing jeans to work, so it should have stained the seats basically from day one.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Jeeeez, one last time:
    Softex is NOT LEATHER. Do not use leather treatments on Softex. The reason you had stains come back is the greasy leather treatment you put on the seats. Don't do that!!!! If all else fails, read the manual.

8. therealdana

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the input. Contrary to my post number, I consider myself a seasoned forum user and could not find on this site information about staining and preventative maintenance for SofTex. If you could, please provide links to some threads that have already provided answers to this issue. Thanks in advance!

From what you're telling me, my manual should include a section that details the care and maintenance of the SofTex. Part of the information will tell me that the greasy substance in the leather treatment will react with denim and result in staining. Is that correct? I am at work and will verify when i'm able to get to my manual at home.

It's also important to note that the stains occurred before I treated the seats, mistakenly, with leather conditioner/cleaner. So we're still not at the root cause for the staining.

Thanks for the input, peoples.

Edited to add the last few sentences.

#8 therealdana, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  9. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Well....jeans are notorious for staining leather in many different brands of automobiles.
    You are not alone in this.
    So...change your brand of jeans or wear pants of another material.
    Yet my best advice....drive naked...haha

Good luck.

therealdana likes this.
  10. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The real Dana: No I do not have seat heaters. My car has been driven in 6F to 100F temps and sits outside at times. In the extreme heat, I'm probably not wearing jeans. I have never treated or even cleaned my seats. That is a variable.

My seats are an after delivery addition to the Model 3 but are the part number that Toyota would put on to create the models with Softex "standard". Thus no heated seats. Though yesterday when I climbed in at around 10F I wished I had them.

therealdana likes this.
  11. therealdana

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    well, it's a bummer that this is a widespread issue.

I guess it's time to drive naked! :D

Roger that. Perhaps the heaters are aiding in the staining in my case.

Thanks for your help in getting to the cause! :]

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just jumping in here to say that I've had this issue as well and it's really bad with the cool raw selvage type jeans. The indigo dye rubs off an anything you sit on!

Meguiar's Interior Cleaner seems to clean it off the Prius Softex nicely. I followed that with a vinyl protectant, 303 Protectant.

13. ShayShay99

ShayShay99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank you!! I just started researching this bc my jeans have stained my 2018 Prime in its first 6 weeks. It looks permanently bluish and I was trying to not freak out. I’ve never treated it with anything and this thread scared me a bit until this last response.

mediahound likes this.