1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

softex vs leather

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by edward james, Jun 8, 2013.

1. edward james

edward james New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I started a discussion on this at the rav4world web site and I am continuing here as the softex is also used on the prius.

ok, here it is. I have had my 2013 limited RAV4 for about 4 weeks now. previously I had a 2002 limited high lander with genuine perforated leather seats. the issue is that my back and seat get very hot and damp in the softex seats. also, it doesn't seem you slide as comfortably on the softex. we have already discussed how different clothing material makes some difference and I heave even made temperature measurements that confirms that body heat and moisture get trapped in these seats/material. has anyone else who has had good quality perforated leather seats before noticed that the softex tends to trap heat and moisture. this is extremely uncomfortable and I am becoming quite unsatisfied with these seats/material.
    thx

2. Alan Stoddart

Alan Stoddart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I noticed it only while wearing nylon pants - my rear was sweating. No problem with any other fabric.

3. edward james

edward james New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    nylon is pretty close to polyester which is where I have the most issue. so they really expect to select the clothes we wear based on the inferior seat material they want us to believe is great? regardless of clothing material, the seat/material is nowhere close to the comfort of leather. Toyota needs to stop marketing this a being as good a leather.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we picked up a hycam with softex yesterday. i don't know how it will work ou, (probably better than the cloth we've always had previously) but they had a couple cars in the showroom with 3 tone aftermarket real leather. they were beautiful and felt very comfortable in the showroom.

5. edward james

edward james New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    so please take note of how the leather seats felt (the ones in the showroom) and the softex. most notable, leather is soft, supple and you slide in and out of it. with the softex, as soon as your seat makes first contact there is noticeable effort to get into final position. also, it just does not feel as soft. now wait until a hot day and your back and seat will feel hot and damp. let us know!

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i will, we pick up the car next week and should have some good hot weather coming. if it's bad, we'll have to suffer for a few years. hopefully, it won't be any worse than cloth. they do feel firmer than cloth at least.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

The Camry Hybrid doesn't have SofTex. The Camry SE has optional SofTex with ultrasuede. The Camry Hybrid optional upholstery is leather/ultrasuede.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hopefully they can figure out a way to put perforations in SofTex like you do in leather without compromising strength. (or if that isn't the issue, just manufacture it with perforations to allow air to flow)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    naturally. the salesman had no clue. can you describe the differences? the hycam has leather? trim and some sort of woven material seating and back.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well they both have ultrasuede in the centre of the seatback and seat bottom. Ultrasuede is synthetic suede so it's a bit easier to take care off than real suede. This is the woven material you speak of. It's the bolsters that are different between the two models (SE has SofTex-upholstered bolsters and the Camry Hybrid has traditional leather-upholstered bolsters... i.e. dead cow). Oh and I guess the rear centre position is also upholstered in SofTex (SE) or leather (Hybrid). Ditto the headrests.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! will report back on how we like it after some use. it was comfortable on the test drives, but that's not saying much.:)

PLSPUSH likes this.
  12. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I have softex on a v and have not experienced any overly hot/damp issues. I wear cotton outer pants, various fabric underwear. I've had ventilated seats, leather surfaced seats, cloth seats and softex seats in the last 3 years and don't notice any difference. I got softex because I have grandkids and they spill. Plus I couldn't see me climbing in the car after a golf game with sun tan lotion on my arms with the cloth armrests.

13. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My Bimmer had leather. Easy to slide, cool. It wears out though at some places. The hot California sun faded it.

I have Softex in my Prius. Looks good. To soon to tell if it will hold up for 10 years though. It is hot and sticky

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cam Hybrid has ultrasuede on loaded XLE $$$

I like perforated leather seating area. Have sampled new Accord EX-L which just went to perf'd leather for new gen car. Pretty good stuff.

For aftermarket .... Car Leather Upholstery | Custom Auto Leather Interiors by Katzkin

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, tide corrected me in #7. to be honest, i don't know the difference. this is our first car in 40 years with anything but cloth, (if i don't count my merc 300sd with leather that felt like vinyl, try sitting on that with shorts on after car has been sitting in sun on a hot day) should be interesting!

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Sure! The ultrasuede should help keep things warm in the winter and cooler in the summer. It felt nice when I drove it and sat in it as a passenger.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and, they're heated! i think he said the new hyav had a/c seats?

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heat only.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, he must have mentioned another car.

20. asposner

asposner Junior Member

Can anyone report back about how SofTex seats fared during the summer months?