1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOLAR-PANEL connections?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by PCV-III, May 6, 2010.

1. PCV-III

PCV-III New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Where can one "connect" to use the electricity for operating a portable transceiver ~ while camping ~ TNX, PCV-III

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i don't get what you're asking.

if you have a 12v solar panel, you could connect it strait to your cars 12v battery. it may be topped off already and this may provide you with no gain. (very minimal anyway) maybe you should look into a second 12v battery for solar charging purposes.

if you need an inverter, you could hook that up to any 12v battery. i tend to run my car while using my inverter though.. to keep the battery from driving.

3. treet007

treet007 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you mean you wanted to tap into the solar panel that is installed on the 2010 Prius with the Solar Package (like the Prius III)?

If so, I do not believe you can without voiding the warranty. You'll have to bring a separate solar panel for your camping needs.

4. PCV-III

PCV-III New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My question is about where to connect to the Solar-Panel ~ so that when the car is parked, I can use the cell-energy to power a transceiver. In these warm and sunny days it does power the A/C fan nicely ~ I didn't ask about the WARRANTY

5. baconrocket

baconrocket New Member

Model:
    II
    There's gotta be a wiring diagram somewhere. i guess at last resort you could take down the fabric roof panel and find the wires.

6. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can try a search. The topic of tapping into the solar panel has been pretty much well discussed. If I remember correctly, I don't think it will work.