1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar panel discoloration

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by firsttoyota, Jun 1, 2014.

1. firsttoyota

firsttoyota New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, Just picked up the car and everything looks good so far and I will give it a good look tomorrow.
    Bottom Line.
    1. No mention of this being a courtesy repair at dealership or on work order at pick up. (States replaced due to delamination.)
    2. Roof liner did not have to come out. ( I am Happy)
    3. A second replacement panel had to be ordered on inspection due to delamination. ( Reinforces my "not the first one" theory )
    4. Work sublet to glass Co.
    5. Warranty replacement cost quoted from dealer, $1853.04
    6. Overall dealer satisfaction, Very satisfied. (Dealer is Ira Toyota Of Danvers)
    Hope this helps any who also experience this problem.

prinut likes this.
  2. prinut

prinut Pri Nut

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for providing feedback. It will definitely help future owners with the SR panels.

3. Heat Gun

Heat Gun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I knew this was going to happen but it is too early !
    I noticed discoloration on solar panel as well, car is 2.5 months old, around 3k miles.
    Can a dealer say it is normal wear and tear even though car is literary brand new? Does lemon law apply to defects like this?

IMG_20140621_162826 (Large).jpg IMG_20140621_162908 (Large).jpg IMG_20140621_162826 (Large).jpg IMG_20140621_162908 (Large).jpg

#23 Heat Gun, Jun 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did the dealer or glass company say what the cause of the discolorations was?

5. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After reading this, I'm almost glad I didn't get the solar roof option. I wonder now if Toyota will not offer it on the Gen 4 due to these issues. Maybe it's impossible to prevent panel degradation to some extent; maybe all such cars will show it at some poinr. Too bad; this was a (literally) cool option that further set the Prius apart from other cars.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I have my doubts that it'll make it over to the 4th Gen Prius but at least for the 3rd Gen, it was a pretty cool option and I'm happy to have it in my vehicle. I hope they can find a way to improve the solar panel to reduce the size/weight of it so that it can be used to charge the vehicle or at least be a cheaper option than it is now. It does make the vehicle unique (though the Leaf offers a solar panel but it's a small one on the rear spoiler to charge the 12V battery).

I suspect they may swap it out for a panoramic roof like the v since that will be an easier sell.

7. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    At first I really wanted a model with solar. In the end I opted for a white atp model 5 instead. i'm really glad i did as I doubt any solar panel mounted on a prius will ever last more than 5 years let alone 10.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I also wanted the solar, but in the end just couldn't justify it. My wife doesn't really like sunroofs and I understand why. Also, I just wanted convinced it does much in this Arizona heat, though I suppose 115 inside when it's 115 outside is preferable to 130 inside. Still, I've lived without it this long and if it really were worth the cost, I'd see more around here.

9. Wandering Elf

Wandering Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is another example of solar panel discoloration and suspected moisture intrusion. I noticed this on a Prius itech (Australian high spec model) in the car park yesterday. The year was 2009-2011. Seems like this might become a common problem :(
    IMG_3934.JPG

10. Wandering Elf

Wandering Elf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Out of 4 2009 Pri with solar panels that I have seen, all 4 have this kind of discolouration to a greater or lesser extent.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Until the discoloration includes corrosion of elements, I wouldn't worry about it. When the blower functionality is compromised, I'd consider having it replaced. That said, as I get closer to the end of my Platinum warranty, I'll pay closer attention!

For those who had it replaced, was blower functionality compromised, or was it more cosmetic/proactive?

12. Striker09i

Striker09i New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is there a place we can report this? I have 2011 with this discoloration and fan failure

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NHTSA or toyota.com/owners?