1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Panel Removal - How?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by kn6vv, May 7, 2016.

1. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2013 Prius solar roof panel is showing signs of the green tint on all the internal edges of the wire elements. As others on Priuschat have pointed out, this is a indication that moisture has invaded the elements inside and thus a matter of time before the panel fails. I have 11 months of warranty left and Toyota will not "fix" it as it is not "broken". The ventilation system and solar panel still operate so I'm looking at a replacement down the road, possibly after the warranty expires. Ouch $$$

If I have to replace the solar panel on my own after the warranty, does anyone know how they are removed? I didn't know if the panels are glued in place, "snapped" onto the roof with special clips or more likely, attached to the roof from inside the car requiring the headliner being removed? :(

Thanks in advance! Tom

2. Jimi1976

Jimi1976 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    "Green tint"....on a wire....indicates oxidation.
    Not necessarily due to water exposure, but moisture in the air.
    I wouldn't worry about it.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    An auto glass shop can tell you how they remove it and probably how much it would cost.

I don't think you "have" to replace it if it fails. Just live without it. It actually does very little. Other than look cool, and it does that even if it doesn't work. ;)

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's glued on like a windshield, you cut through the adhesive using piano wire with handles on the ends, then lift off with suction cups. This happens after 15 steps of disassembly of headliner and moonroof rails, which you can find in the manual.

Goes back on like a windshield too ... Primer M, Primer G, Windshield Adhesive, don't drive or slam the doors for n hours depending on cure temperature, good as new. :)

-Chap

5. kn6vv

kn6vv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks greatly for the informative reply. I am a little puzzled however that it would require removal of the headliner and moonroof rails since the glass is only glued on like a windshield. I'm assuming that the power wire plug has sufficient slack to lift the glass high enough to reach under and disconnect the plug.

Best wishes, Tom