1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Panels for my home

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Jnbrown, May 16, 2017.

1. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I got a quote to have solar panels installed on my roof. $7,500 for 3.6 KW.
    I figure with charging the Prime my monthly electric bill be about $91 per month.
    Even with solar I have to pay a $16 per month fee. So it will take about 8.5 years to break even.
    I am 60 years old and hopefully will still be alive and living in the same house 8 years from now.
    But its not a clear cut decision. I like the idea of being more green by using solar, but spending a big chunk of cash on it after putting $10K down on the Prime is not so appealing. I know I could get a loan but really don't want to do that.

dubit and 'LectroFuel like this.
  2. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Check out 'Sun Electronics' or SunElec.com for systems that are pretty inexpensive. You still have to get it installed and permitted, but at least you don't get ripped off for the cost of the components and you own it. If you have a small trailer and are withing reasonable driving distance, you can save a huge amount on shipping. They have a warehouse in Phoenix.

priuscatprimeguy likes this.
  3. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Go for it. Even if you sell the place it should help with resale.

4. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I was reading about that on some real estate site and they actually said solar doesn't add value but helps with resale when competing against similar houses that don't have solar. But if you get a loan on it and try to pass the balance on to the buyer then it makes the house harder to sell.

5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our house is on Solar Power. Don't forget to look into tax depreciation on your solar equipment :)

Our battery bank charges up during the day [on sunny days], but the Prime charges at night. So they do not line up well

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is similar to what I'm hearing. Any leased solar system is a negative, it is much better for it to be wholly owned with the house, and paid up.

7. Jnbrown

Jnbrown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The system I would be getting has net metering which means there is no battery bank. You sell electricity to the grid during the day and buy it back at night.

8. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In our town, most homes using solar power are generally off-grid. There is one home here that did the more expensive net-metering setup. We went with an off-grid system to get us reliable power and to save money.

9. ArcPrime

ArcPrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    We installed a 24 panel system last June. Costs is ~$22K. No battery backup. Then you get 30% Tax Credit from Uncle Sam. For the last 10 months even we had some much rain and cloudy days. We have generated more electricity than we used. Past 10 months my electricity bill is less than one month's bill before we put in Solar System. In So Cal, we had to hook up to SCE grid. Now I started to charge my Prime at home at night so I could some of the electricity from Solar system. Our Solar system best is about 37KWH a day.

10. ForestBeekeeper

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    In Maine net-metering will never pay the homeowner anything. You can feed the grid and get 'credits', those credits expire in 12 months if you don't use them. Net-metering is closely regulated, and with those regulations comes at a much higher cost [fees, installers, and bank finance fees]. My off-grid system has 20 panels [4400 watts] and produces 22 to 25 Kwh/day, including batteries it cost us $20k.
    Most days, I am out doing errands during the day, so the Prime is charging at night. Which drains our house battery.
    Today I am home, heading out this afternoon. So our Prime is charging more directly off the solar panels.

j12piprius and benagi like this.
  11. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The $22k cost is after tax break or before? What is the capacity of panels? like 5KW or 8KW?

12. Dave14Prius

Dave14Prius Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be careful of bad dealers. My sister and nephew in Florida had about 25k worth installed about 2 1/2 years ago and really regret it. Not anywhere near the savings promised "verbally".Maybe saving $100 month at the most. I have two other folks I know who are happy with thiers, one in Fla. and one in Missouri. Dealer and installer really matter.

13. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Get 3 bids from companies that have been in the business for a while with a long warranty. Don't necessarily pick the cheapest. In my case, the cheapest was the best as well. There are 3 basic types of systems: string, microinverter on the panels (Enphase), and a system that blends the two (Solar Edge). I have the Solar Edge type system.

benagi likes this.
  14. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Can you share the price detail and capacity? I am in Northern California and I got a quote for 5KW installed for roughly $20k before tax credit. thanks.

15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That's a bit pricey. What part of Northern California are you from?

We installed a second 4.575 kW array of panels about a year ago (Enphase - Microinverters). We paid $2.80/W (DC) before the tax credit. This was probably about $0.20-0.25/W (DC) below what it would have cost for an initial system - we already had supporting electrical hardware in place from our first installation in 2012. Prices had come down considerably since then.

The operational area of many solar installers is only a radius of 50-100 miles. Agree with getting several quotes. Not sure how much solar installation costs have gone up from a few weeks ago when solar tariffs were announced and came into effect a few days ago.

16. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I an in great Sacramento area. Your price is really good. Hope I can use your installer. Thanks

Son of Gloin likes this.
  17. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My system is 7.56 KW. Paid $24K almost a year ago. West Coast Solar in Brentwood. They may serve Sacramento.

18. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for info! Yes their website says they server Sacramento. Would get a quote.

BTW, may I ask $24k price is before Federal tax credit?

19. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yes, before tax credit. Also, if you go with them, refer me to them and I get $ for the referral. Both my neighbor and I got systems from them and we've been happy with everything.

iPhone ? Pro

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just got a quote today from SunPower for a 4.5 kW system for $14.5 after the 30% federal rebate:).

The wife also gets a $1k rebate from her work so this will drop the price even more;).

Solar City (Tesla) also quoted at ~$14 without the rebate available:(.

But they said they would match the rebate(y).

edthefox5, Son of Gloin and SFO like this.