1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar panels on a pip?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I know they are an option on non pip prii but do they make anything for a pip?

I ask because I found a good deal on a pip that has hail damage. Rather than paying to have it repaired I thought Id see if I could cover it up with a solar panel. I figure it would cost me $1000 to have it repaired so why not spend that money on panels instead.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not from toyota unless you buy the part for the non pip and try to adapt it somehow. probably would be cheaper to buy a flexible solar panel and glue it on or something.

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    and you are planning to power what with it?
    If it has a 12 VDC or better, you can trickle charge the AUX battery and does about it.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i guess you could put a little fan in the window.:p

5. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done a little more research tonight and I see that its not really feasible to add solar panels to the roof and have them really do anything. Next I want to research why Toyota didn't offer a sun roof/solar kit on the pip and if its possible to retrofit the package into the pip. Back when the Corvette Zo6's first came out a coupe was the only option. My friend bought one off the showroom floor then took it to a company in Canada who chopped off the top and added a convertible top. He had one of 8 convertible Zo6's in the world. I gotta assume its possible to retrofit the Prius package.

6. mikenewmediary

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had discussed this with Mitch, when I picked up my spare tire. Mitch thinks it may have to do with the weight of the glass. I beleive the PIP battery weighs more, so it may have to do with the weight of the car and MPG.
    A sunroof would have been nice, as well as the solar panels on these hot summer days.

Anyway, I am still enjoying the car, and recently recorded 850 miles on a tank of gas, and the fill cost me 27.00.

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow thats incredible mileage. Is that normal?

8. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Son of Gloin likes this.
  9. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The solar panel on the roof is only 59w. It only powers a small recirculation fan in the A/C system (not the A/C). In full sun it would take 68 hours to charge the 4kw traction battery.
    You can go to a company that installs Webasto moonroofs and get that for about $1500. My Prius has the solar/moonroof. the solar panel is cool technology, but it really is more of a gimmick. I wanted the moonroof.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Even if you covered the roof of the car in one massive solar panel it would only produce a trickle of power that might give you a mile or two after being parked in the sun all day. You might get 5 miles or so after a week parked like that.

Perhaps you're better just getting solar on your house roof and using that instead.

11. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah thats pretty much what I have read. :/
    I cant think of any other options to cover up the hail damage. I guess Ill just need to pay to have it repaired.....

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You can always have the american flag painted on the roof and maybe the stars of it matching the hail dents.:D

Son of Gloin and chesleyn like this.
  13. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why not a large confederate flag?

14. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I applaud you for just asking the question. I enjoy people who think outside the box even if the conclusion arrives at what occurred here. I would love a solar panel on mine too Jimbo but thought the weight issue was probably the reason why they didn't offer it too. We live in interesting times. Both scary and wonderful at the same time. It's great to be able to connect with other Prius owners here.

Cheers

Jimbo69ny likes this.
  15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The usable battery capacity is only around 2.8 kWh and the output of the solar panel is DC, not AC. DC-DC converters are around 95% efficient, compared to the 85% efficiency of the Prius Plug-in battery charger which has to rectify AC to DC. So the charging time in full sun would be closer to 2800 / 59 / .95 = ~50 hours.

16. tomstodola

tomstodola Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    right you are! Still a lousy proposition.
    I guess the fan works to a point - it is easier to cool hot, fresh air than hot, stale air. The real heat, though is not the air, but the massive front dash. It sucks up the heat and radiates its for quite some time.

17. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While this idea may be impractical for most folks, it could work for me. My employer will not respond to written requests to install 110v outlets and dedicated EV parking spot signs, so I currently cannot charge at work. I typically work for 4 days straight, which this time of year could yeild nearly 50 hours of sunlight.

I'm less interested in the OEM 59W panel than I am in a flexible mat that I can use as an external windshield shade, like this 4 1/2 lb 62W panel:

Solar Panel Windshield Cover.jpg

Mounting on the windshield would not only shade the interior more effectively, but angle toward the sun more efficiently (at my latitude, anyway).

Can any of you smart folks think of a way to wire up a solar panel to charge the traction battery?

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    methinks you need an entire car cover.;)

19. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And trailer!

20. ultraturtle

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You jest, but that's not a bad idea. Again, anyone think it possible to rig up electronics to charge the traction battery?