1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Powered Auto Fan only $19.99 (+ shipping)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by timtim2008, Aug 9, 2010.

1. 10priusII

10priusII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Solar fan ....interesting!!

2. ProfPlum

ProfPlum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The other drawback that nobody has mentioned is that, unless you remove it every time you drive somewhere, you get extra wind noise, especially at highway speed.

It's also a hassle to install, as you have to close the window with just enough pressure to hold the unit in place, but not so much that you distort the thin plastic case to the point where the fan won't even turn. Probably easy with a hand-cranked window, but almost impossible with an electric window.

3. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One of those whole house fans (like what is in my house's attic) would work really, really well in a Prius, as far as moving the air out. But I suspect it would look pretty silly on the roof of a car.

4. Michaelvickdog123

Michaelvickdog123 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

But you get the idea that removing, or displacing hot air in the cabin of the car (or attic of the house), helps keep temps down in the car (or house).

Same laws of thermodynamics apply in both case.

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You just mount that fan on the roof in place of the sunroof, and when you drive off hit a button that pivots it up and then you have air power assist like an airboat!

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a well-written paper but isn't consistent with my own real world experience. If I park my car for a few hours in the valley, I always return to a significantly hotter interior if the windows are clamped shut versus cracked opened all the way around.

7. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I even saw it selling for $14.99 @ Walmart. But it's still the more expensive of the 2 comparing with the Prius' solar panel, cause its usefullness is 0, and $anything/0 = infinitely expensive. Now if you rank its usefullyness as -1 'cause it lets in rain, do your own math:D