1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof and dash sensor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by chartquist, Sep 4, 2012.

1. chartquist

chartquist New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I have a 2010 gen III with the solar roof and just recently purchased a reflective windshield shade. The shade covers up the light sensor on passenger side of the dashboard. I'm probably crazy, but it seems like the fan connected to solar roof does not operate as it did when I did not use the shade at all. Seems like it's actually hotter inside the car now. Any thoughts or feedback? I'm considering cutting a slot out of the bottom of the shade so the sensor can once again get full sunlight.

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I've always used a full windshield shade and not noticed any effect on the solar fan ventilation effectiveness. I thought the dashboard light sensor was only used in conjunction with the AC.

You might make sure the solar ventilation switch didn't get turned off by accident - it's easy to miss since there's little visible difference between the on and off positions. I put a small strip of bright orange label tape on the edge of the switch opening to show more clearly when the switch is in the 'on' position (pressed in).