1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof and mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, May 8, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My original question was about weight (after all, larger/heavier tires are supposed to reduce the mpg) but other people brought up the drag factor when it is open, which is also a consideration. What the salesman told my friend was that "glass is heavier than metal" blah blah -- so that in itself could add to the weight as well as the motors and fan, etc.

I see your point that people carry things and people in the car so weight shouldn't be that much a factor. Nevertheless, it could be a factor if the sunroof adds a significant amount of weight. If it's 5 pounds -- obviously it's insignificant. But if it's 50 -- I think your FE would be affected if you were carrying a 50-pound sack of sand around with you all the time.

2. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I think the news is definitely encouraging!
    Even though there is quite a bit of additional weight and some drag when open, apparently it is offset somewhat by the reduced need for a/c.

I will check out the mpg forums as well. Of course, one can't really judge unless compared to the cars without the roof.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Added weight up high can affect handling too. If you have to go slower around corners you need to accelerate more after them.

4. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Iv sr - 1st tank 49.8, 2nd tank, so far 52.0, with the sr open as much as possible for city driving.

Mosttoysrk mentioned buffeting when open. I have found that if the rear windows are open just a bit the noise is greatly deminished. Front windows work too, but just adds more sound to the front of the car.

I have never owned a sr before, so i had no idea what to expect, but i have to tell you i'm thrilled with everything except the fact that there is no auto-close when the car is off. All there is is a little beep when the driver's door is open. This would be an easy thing to miss if you weren't paying attention.

Sorry for the caps. I'm at work (oh, did i say that out loud?) and that's all we use here.

5. alohabailey

alohabailey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

One dealer today told me that I can't get the 3 with a solar package, only the 4 right now. The 3 with the solar is not coming out for 6 months she said. I'm wondering if this is an east coast thing. I am getting very frustrated with these dealers. So much so, I might quit bothering to look.

6. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since it's 60+ pounds it has some effect but from people's reportings on FE I still think driving style has more effect on overall FE. 60+ pounds on the car probably has a much less significant effect than the unsprung weight from the heavier 17" wheels. Bottom line many of us opted for the 17" V and many for the SR, so if we take a 2 mpg hit but really enjoy our car, it's all good.

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know about NY, but in this area (Washington DC) you can't even configure a III with solar roof on the Toyota "build your Toyota" page. The solar roof option isn't available if you choose a Level III trim.

1 person likes this.
  8. LaurieTx

LaurieTx Proud new owner!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't know about other areas, but they are just beginning to be built for the Gulf States area. The dealer showed me the July build sheet--all of 4 Prius III with SR are being built for the 5-state area. :-( I went ahead and put an order in for a IV with SR. I don't want to wait several months for my new Prius.

9. alohabailey

alohabailey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm beginning to see it may be an east coast thing. In another thread, someone from CO said he had his 3 with solar already.
    I just don't want the leather, I guess I'll have to wait then.
    Thanks for the info.

10. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You're welcome -- also check out the poll results in:

PriusChat Forums - View Poll Results

You'll see that already 14 people have already received a III + solar (probably more, since, amazingly :eek:, not everybody knows about this board or answered the poll). You'll have to look at each user to see what region they're from. I think I did see someone from around here, but I don't know where he/she bought it.

11. Randall Rash

Randall Rash Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I used to car pool with a coworker who was very "portly". Someone once asked me how much he weighed and I replied "2 miles per gallon". (They thought I was being humorous). Anyway, I am sure the solar roof wont have that much impact.

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :pound:That's funny!

13. 2010_Prius_Owner

2010_Prius_Owner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am using the four fifty cooling system on my Prius to get it down to ambient outside temperature. Four windows down at 50 mph. lol.

Actually I think the Solar cooling roof is very cool :cool: and I am a little jealous. Good stuff. I would like to hear how people like it. Does it work well, is the car significantly cooler than if the windows were up with no solar roof and it baked in the son for a few hours?

14. taftjr

taftjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the solar panel works well. The car IS noticeably cooler on a sunny day.
    It is also very sensitive to variances in sunlight. I sat in my 2010 Prius one day while the fan was running and a small cloud momentarily passed by blocking the sun. The fan got softer and shut down just as the cloud was passing overhead and the instant the cloud cleared the sun the fan again came on at full force.

15. CASUMIK

CASUMIK New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I CURRENTLY DRIVE AN 07 AND HAVE A SOLAR IV ON ORDER DUE 7/20. I HAVE A QUESTION. WHAT DOES THE SOLAR PANEL DO IN THE WINTER? I'M IN INDIANA, WE HAVE VERY HOT SUMMERS AND PRETTY COLD WINTERS NORTH OF INDPLS.. DOES THE SOLAR HAVE ANY FUNCTION IN A COLD CLIMATE? ALSO, THERE WAS DISCUSSION ABOUT THE GEN 2s MPG BEING AFFECTED BY COOLANT TEMP.HAS THIS BEEN IMPROVED ON GEN 3s AND COULD THEY NOT USE THE SOLAR PANEL IN COLD CLIMATES(OR WARM), TO KEEP THE COOLANT SLIGHTLY WARMER SO THERE IS LESS WARM UP TIME AND BETTER MILEAGE?

16. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    THAT'S A GREAT IDEA, USING THE SOLAR ROOF TO HELP HEAT THE CAR! BUT UNTIL SOMEONE MAKES A BREAKTHROUGH IN HACKING THE SOLAR ROOF, IT'S USELESS IN THE WINTER.

17. LaurieTx

LaurieTx Proud new owner!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What is the deal with all CAPS?!?! And is it contagious now? LOL

18. TracyJ

TracyJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It must be an area thing because i was originally looking for a III w/SR and it showed up yesterday... and it is an option down here. i have since changed my mind and want to wait for the IV so here i sit with no car yet. oh well. :eek:hwell:

19. nola_Prius

nola_Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does the remote A/C option that comes with the solar roof simply turn on the A/C on the last temperature that it was set at?? Or does it automatically go to the lowest temperature setting to cool the car as quickly as possible?

I ask because this could obviously be useful during cold months, if you left the thermostat at a high temp, it would then heat the car when the remote A/C was activated...right?
    Or does the fact that it's battery powered mean no heat?

20. wsrussell

wsrussell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It will use the last setting.