1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof and mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRos, May 8, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you -- this is the type of source I am looking for. Yes, I is a little unclear -- how much of the roof has solar cells? Is it the part that doesn't open and the other part is basically a regular moonroof? If so, I would imagine that approximately half the roof weighs 551bs, and the other half will weigh whatever a normal moonroof weighs...?

Why I am so interested in finding the actual sources of information is so the next time some bozo tells me that the solar roof weighs 2, 3, or 4 hundred pounds or whatever I can counter that with more than well, people on Priuschat say it weighs about 60. Not that it really matters, but I don't like the fact that these guys are perpetuating untruths.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok, so 55 lbs for the panel and they replace how much weight in roof materials?

oh oh...wait, making it complicated!!... strike that post. what is official weight of your vehicle? mine is 2985

3. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think you should be able to get an exact answer by looking at the load carying sticker on the frame inside the drivers door. It should show GVW , net weight and load capacity left. Only thing you need to do is compare a Prius III Mod 3 or 4 both with and without the solar roof. You should be able to get the exact difference that way.

Also on the subject of fuel effeciency with it open, well in my opinion with it open you may be able to avoide using the AC sometimes that way, so the loss of effeciency in aerodynamics will be offset somewhat by that fact.

I know I am still waiting on mine aPrius III Mod 4 with Nav and Solar roof, cant wait but been waiting 2 months so far.

You know salesmen like to sell what they can sell you now, my salesman says most of the salesmen dont even want to wait on a customer who wants to do a preference for a Prius.

:deadhorse:

4. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a plan. What is GVW? Would someone with a IV with Nav only, and someone with a IV with solar (and nav), please look on their respective doors and provide this info? :)

5. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    GVW is gross vehicle weight, the tag should show GVW and Max load capacity and or net weight so you can calculate load capacity.

I cant explain all the abbreviations, but my 07 Prius shows the following
    GVWR 3795 lbs
    GAWR FR 2235 lbs
    GAWR RR 2250lbs
    So the balance is 3795 - ( 2235+2250) = 790 lbs capacity left.
    The manual says 810 lbs load limit.

So no way does the 2010 sun roof add 400 lbs. I know I am comparing a 2007 to a 2010 but lets get real here.

So some one can look at the 2010 tag both with and without solar sun roof and the tag should tell what the GVWR figure is and then we can compare the two.

:(

1 person likes this.
  6. 12parsecs

12parsecs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck!

I've completely given up trying to educate people like that.

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I guess I don't expect to really educate them .... but maybe they'll think twice before spewing forth something inane to the next customer.

The thing is, the majority of customers are not following these discussions and will take whatever anybody says for the truth.

8. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Alrighty PCers, we heard Prius Team was needed. We're here to help.

Our records say HTML (your lovely Gen III forum mod) had some early and solid info for the community. The Solar Roof is about 60 or so pounds, add a few more for the Navi system which comes paired with the Solar Roof and the whole Solar Roof Package will cost you about 65 or so in weight.

As for availability in the US, there seem to be two issues raised in this thread. Here's our response:
    1) Why is Toyota making so few Prius with SR package?
    Prius Team response: it's not about MPG limitations or an evil plot to make you hunt around for SR packages, it's about demand outpacing supply. We estimated lower demand for SR and now we're doing our best to catch up and match the supply with the demand, but this does take time.

2) Why can't I even build a Prius III or IV with SR online if I input my zip code?
    Prius Team response: as many have noted, the configurator online matches your zip code with what is being ordered in your region. Different regions order differently so you won't always be able to find all 10 builds in your local area. Same issue for colors. Some regions will change this over time as they get a better pulse on demand, others may not. You can always try a different zip if you're willing to cross regional lines.

Hope that helps.
    Erica G, Prius Product Marketing, TMS, USA

3 people like this.
  9. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you very much for this information. Now I can feel much more confident about correcting someone the next time I hear "Toyota had to limit the number of Priuses with solar roofs in order to keep within EPA ratings for fuel efficiency" and variations on "the roof weighs hundreds of pounds."

10. seadub

seadub New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is an interesting question. I just received delivery of my '10 Prius IV with solar, nav, remote AC yesterday. I live in LA and the sun can certainly get hot. I decided on the solar option and the remote AC in order to get the car cool before I get in... just a decision based on comfort and nothing more.

I was also told (by one dealer) that there would be very limited numbers of Prius built with the SR option. I absolutely didn't default to thinking this was due to some nefarious plot by Toyota to skew the overall Prius MPG figures. The dealer told me that there was a weight issue which is why the '10 Prius V does not have the SR option.

At any rate...I'll watch my mileage and let you know how it averages over the next month. My fingers are crossed (it can't be as bad as my old Lexus RX400h...HA!).

edited to add: whoops... I didn't see the end of the thread. Thanks to the PriusTeam for letting all of us know about the SR option weight and for the simple refresher course in supply and demand.

11. Prius2010818

Prius2010818 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought a 2010 Prius IV with Solar. I read the manual which states you can use the EV setting (battery only) to travel up to 1 mile as long as you dont exceed 25mph and the traction battery has enough power.

I have tried many times to use the EV mode to go to my office which is 3 blocks away. The traction battery is fully charged, and every time I get to 10mph, it turns off stating I have exceeded the maximum speed.

What am I doing wrong?

12. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Max speed is limited to 12mph or so until the car (ICE, I think) is fully warm. When it's cold, it will only get up to 10 or 12mph before kicking out of EV mode.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nothing. There are a lot of factors controlling EV operation. Keep in mind that the Prius is not an EV vehicle, and driving around in EV mode is not a great way to save fuel. A pure EV would be better for your commute, or better yet, a bicycle or shoes.

Tom

14. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the ev mode is a gimmick

15. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And that's an unnecessary, incendiary post that doesn't seem to add anything useful to the conversation. Lot's of people, myself included LIKE the EV mode and find it useful. So perhaps you'd care to make a cogent argument instead of an ad hominem proclamation?

16. tzor

tzor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Of course it's a "gimmick." Ever since the original Gen I came out which freeked out the people when the engine turned off at the intersection, the comparison to the original Knight Rider series and that car's stealth mode, were commonplace. Even if it is only good enough to drive along the parking lot and freek out friends or drive down the neighborhood it's worth it in my book.

(P.S. The Gen I originally promised electric mode until speed X as well, assuming that the battery didn't require recharging or the engine was not warm. In practice that number was also exaggerated and the engine kicked in around 15 MPH as well.)

17. alcor

alcor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have the sun roof/solar package and I really like it. However, I am not getting the mileage many on this forum claim to be getting, and before buying my “Gen 3,” I had a “Gen 2” for five years, so I’m used to driving the Prius and my expectations are not exaggerated.

Driving the exact same roads and distances, I would generally get between 49 and 52 MPH with the Gen 2, now; I’m getting between 45 and 49mpg. As of this posting, I only have 850 miles on the car, so I am hoping things will improve a little.

I would buy the sunroof again, and I love the car. For me, it’s worth the small loss in MPG.

Alan

18. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    i don't think you should attribute this decrease, which is too early to call a decrease, to the solar roof. I got 50 mpgs over 10K miles on my commute last summer in my gen 1, and after 1200 miles of the same commute in my 2010 IV with solar, i am getting 55.3. Should i give credit for this increase to the solar roof?

check your tire pressure and stay patient and lets see if things improve

19. grizzy

grizzy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

We recently purchased a 2010 Prius with the solar/sunroof package. With 1400 miles on the car we are averaging ~53mpg with about an equal mix of city and highway. We live in Arizona and the temps regularly have been over 115. I can tell you from experience that the solar cooling vent makes a HUGE difference in how cool the car is after its been parked in the sun for awhile. I would be surprised if it does anything to the actual mpg either good or bad.

1 person likes this.
  20. alcor

alcor New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcor [​IMG]
    I have the sun roof/solar package and I really like it. However, I am not getting the mileage many on this forum claim to be getting, and before buying my “Gen 3,” I had a “Gen 2” for five years, so I’m used to driving the Prius and my expectations are not exaggerated.

Driving the exact same roads and distances, I would generally get between 49 and 52 MPH with the Gen 2, now; I’m getting between 45 and 49mpg. As of this posting, I only have 850 miles on the car, so I am hoping things will improve a little.

I would buy the sunroof again, and I love the car. For me, it’s worth the small loss in MPG.

Alan

i don't think you should attribute this decrease, which is too early to call a decrease, to the solar roof. I got 50 mpgs over 10K miles on my commute last summer in my gen 1, and after 1200 miles of the same commute in my 2010 IV with solar, i am getting 55.3. Should i give credit for this increase to the solar roof?

check your tire pressure and stay patient and lets see if things improve

I simply answered the question and gave the results I've experienced since my short time with this car. There are people all over this form, with obviously low mileage on their “gen 3’s” getting 50 or better mpg, to date, I am not experiencing this.

Alan