1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Roof Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Xjmyway, May 29, 2019.

1. Xjmyway

Xjmyway Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So I've had my solar roof (used purchase) for about 6 months now and it's been pretty cold most of the time. The weather is warming up and I can't seem to determine if the system is in fact working or now. The switch is pressed in always and never get's turned off (out position). I have released it and pressed it while the car is running also. The car has reached upwards of 70° or higher and in direct sunlight. I hear no signs of a fan running or feel anything in the car. I can't find any real "troubleshooting" info online anywhere. Does anybody know of common things to look for that would cause malfunction or something out of a service manual that explains any test procedures?

Thanks in advance!

2. 2014

2014 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    New to a 2014 Prius with solar roof. The manual says to press the switch when the car is on. I did that and came back to the car and heard the fan running (passenger side at top of hood/bottom of windshield). Wasn't sure if you need to press the switch every time before you leave the car but I did not and I heard the fan running again when I returned to the car. Was a hot day, maybe 75-80. Not sure if the fan operation is temperature controlled, would make sense that it was. The inside of the car was slightly cooler, I think, than if the fan was not running.

bisco likes this.
  3. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Adding to the problem of troubleshooting is the fact that after you turn the car off with the switch in (which enables the system) it will take about 10 minutes or so before the fan runs for the first time. After that it will cycle on and off, lower and higher as enabled by the amount of sunlight and as needed based on the air temperature (inside and outside the car).

fuzzy1 likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Mine comes on after 10 minutes of locking car with fob. And no need to press the AC button, that’s manually turning on the AC with the HV bat so that’s isolated to the solar panel. Doesn’t matter the in or outside temp, it’s just the sun’s angle and intensity of the rays that will provide power. Mine runs during winter even when it’s colder than 50F no matter thermostat temp set during mid days.

Ed Beaty likes this.
  5. maurices

maurices Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With the solar package the primary fan is a higher capacity and there is an extra fan. You can leave the button depressed all year long in warmer US states. Doesn't do anything in Minnesota winters. Once activated, in about 10 minutes or so on a warm day you can hear the fan(s) running at different speeds as Walterm stated previously.

6. cww180

cww180 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can hear mine from outside of the car, if you find out what it is let me know I’m parting out my 2010 IV so I have some parts available.

Xjmyway likes this.