1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Water Heating benefits

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by largomike1, Nov 6, 2006.

1. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Nov 8 2006, 06:56 AM) [snapback]345431[/snapback]</div>
    Where I live, we often have green/brown air for 360° along the horizon. To me, there's nothing more beautiful than roofs full of PV panels that help reduce the horrible visual and health blight of bad air.

2. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(largomike1 @ Nov 6 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]344705[/snapback]</div>

Glad it works for you, but your statement about photovoltaics is way off base. I have a 10kw PV system which will pay for itself in just under 4 years!

3. largomike1

largomike1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kirbinster @ Nov 9 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]346412[/snapback]</div>
    I do agree with you now, after reading some of the feedback in this thread.
    Originally I had done my PV pay back calculations based on my utility rate, consumption, $4 per watt costs, etc.

That's fantastic that your payback is so soon. Would you be able to offer some more details, ie
    1- what your cost per watt on the panels was
    2- what kind of panels & where you got them
    3- what your utility rate is
    4- how many kilowatt hours you typically use per year
    5- did you install them yourself
    6- were you able to take advantage of Federal or State rebates
    7- are you using batteries or intertie or both

Thanks - this is valuable information. I'm considering starting off with a smaller (500 watt) PV system to power a DC Pump (to replace my AC pool pump which costs about $30 per month).

4. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(largomike1 @ Nov 9 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]346467[/snapback]</div>
    I think if you search this forum you will find that I have posted a lot of details on the system previously. But to answer your questions the base system price was around $7 per watt including panels, inverters, control system and installation. At the time there was no federal tax credit, but in NJ the rebate on the system was 70% at the time. The system is comprised of 54 sharp 185 watt panels tied to 4 grid-tied sunnyboy inverters. There are no batteries as we are grid-tied with net metering. Batteries make no economic sense for PV systems - it is more cost effective to put a grid-tie system in and buy a big generator unless you are constantly loosing power. The system generates about 12,000 kwh per year which is about 1/2 our total consumption (big house, central air, inground pool, etc...) Beside the savngs on electric NJ has a system in place for selling the SRECs (greentags) for between $200-$250 per megawatt produced..

5. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Nov 7 2006, 06:50 AM) [snapback]344889[/snapback]</div>
    Copper pipes in my system, due to the high pressures/temps. Since there is no way to regulate the temp., I don't know if plastic is recommended.

The only time I've heard of panels being installed on the ground was at a hearing for revocation of license of a solar "plumber" who had a long list of unsatisfied customers. Put the panels on the roof where everyone else does. If they are "unsightly", put them on the back of the house. They can still be anlged toward the sun.

My system will provide sufficient hot water Spring-Fall, but if there's a cloudy day I'm out of luck. It's supposed to provide a lot more hot water than that. Maybe I just take too long showers. I have the elec. on a timer to come on at certain times in case it's not hot enough. I don't like surprises, especially cold ones.