1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nersciple, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I once saw a Prius, not sure what year or package, that sported a solar panel on the top of the car near the antenna, I believe it was from Australia but again not sure.

Were solar panels ever an option for the Prius? From my recent searching I've come to the conclusion that the option was either never implemented in North America or wasn't very popular. Still would be cool to have more options in charging the battery to get even better gas mileage.

Two questions. One, did Toyota ever release a solar kit for the Prius? And two, with the new lithium battery pack now an option, would there be a way to incorporate solar charging to the charge station that is installed at the house?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes their is an optional solar package in N. America. It includes a solar panel and sunroof. The cars are easy to spot as the entire roof line is black. OK, one with black paint is kinda hard to spot. <grin>. This option began with the 3rd gen in 2010.

The panel only generators a few watts (22?) so it is not enough to charge the main traction battery. Rather, it provides electricity to the cabin vent system. In the heat of the day, it will vent cooler outside air inside to keep it at ambient temperature as opposed to the 30-40 degrees hotter that it can get.

Living in the far south, I find this to be one of the best inventions since sliced bread. I even leave it on during our "winter" here. Basically, it's like being able to leave your windows down without all the bad side effects.

A lithium battery pack is not a factory "option" on any prius currently for sale.

4. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I guy can dream I guess. Would be nice to know that when not driven the solar panel gave some charge to the battery, maybe not enough to fully charge it but still some. And I live in Georgia, so I'm sure I'd love the option to have it but don't like the set up of the new interior design of the newer models.

And the lithium battery pack that I was talking about before isn't a Toyota package option, I was speaking of the (maybe?) aftermarket battery pack that replaces the spare tire compartment...I was thinking you could hook the system up to some form of solar kit, to basically lower the electricity bill. I know nothing about solar power but could there be a way to have a system that allows the solar panels to charge a high capacity battery and then have the Prius draw from that battery?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can't fit enough solar panels on a car to charge the little 12 volt battery, let alone the big HV battery. And they weigh a lot.

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yes you could buy and install an aftermarket plug-in battery pack and numerous solar panels on your home. You will recoup your investment and start saving money over driving a current prius by the year 2087 or so. <wink, wink>

Or you could buy a Leaf or Volt and spend about $1 to $2 a night to recharge one of those.

7. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not speaking of on the car itself. I'm talking about the unit that has to be installed with the lithium battery kit, a wall unit that I would assume is installed along the garage wall. I was thinking you could use solar panels to draw enough power from the sun, having it placed in a separate storage battery and then when you go to hook the Prius up to the station that the energy stored would be what the Prius would draw from. Doing two things, lowering the electricity bill while also not having to keep the car hooked up all day just to charge the battery. I'm sure what I speak of can't be done but it would be nice if it could.

8. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Everything I speak of is just ideas, nothing I could ever afford without knowing I could get back whatever money I dropped into it. I just like to know there are options that steer away from gas.

I keep seeing the Leaf, Volt and every other electric vehicle but I'm not ready to get on that bandwagon yet...same reason I opted out of getting a hybrid ten years ago. The first few years are always the experimental phase of any product.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are much smaller solar panels sold for use with 12V batteries, not to charge them per se, but to keep them from discharging. It would be nice if the built-in panel could do the same thing.

10. D53

D53 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I know that soalr panel doesn't put out much electricity, but its a shame to just let it sit there in the sun and do nothing while the car is parked! Might as well contribute what little charging it can to a battery.

11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    But it is doing something, keeping the interior cool. :rockon:

Having sat in the car for an extended period of time and monitored the process, I can tell you that even a thin cloud will cut fan speed to about half. IOW, even a full day of sun would probably only put enough charge in the traction battery to move the car a few feet. That's just a WAQ so I'll let one of our resident EE's punch the numbers.

From a pure efficiency point of view though, I agree with you. If the venting system isn't activated, it might as well be routed somewhere but I think the 12v battery would be the better place.