1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold my Prius; the Prius experience through my eyes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Mar 10, 2010.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am not denying that vehicles are a bad investment; but they are a passion of mine. I LOVE to drive and am so frequently in a car that I like to "change it up" every once in a while. I guess you can say they are my bad habbit. I don't drink, smoke, drink coffee or soda, do drugs, or have kids lol. Almost everyone spends money on something that other people would consider wasteful. I am thankful I don't have credit card debt, or student loans weighing me down...

2 people like this.
  2. Politburo

Politburo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    qft.

3. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And it won't. :) At 96K, my '04 had 80% left rear and 60-70% front.

At 101K, I now have ~100% front because the shop (yes it has been around some time and is presumably reliable) that replaced my driver's side wheel bearing (nasty noise!) managed to forget the shim and inside pad when they put it back together. They didn't even manage to see they were missing when I took the car back because it made a nasty noise when I used the brakes. The following weekend I took off the wheel and looked, expecting maybe they forgot the anti-squeal shim. Boy was I surprised (and POed). Fortunately I had no need for emergency, or even hard, braking those 2 weeks. Even though there was no visible damage to the rotor (I never saw the piston) they voluntarily chose to replace both front rotors, the pads and the caliper on the driver side. My brakes will outlive my use of the car. At some point it will be replaced with a PHEV or an EV when there are good, proven choices.

4. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very good points! I concede! :)

Now go buy yourself a new Limited Edition 2011 Prius next year! I'm going to start the rumor that Toyota will make a loaded version (package VI?) with both the Solar Cooling package and the Advanced Technology package. I know there are people out there who will succumb to that temptation!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We have it in Canada (minus the LEDs, 17" alloys or fogs)... AT + SR.

6. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Really? Why not in the U.S. then? Don't say EPA's MPG rating, especially since yours doesn't have the heavier 17" alloys.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    In CA, the HSD is warranted out to 150K miles
    ;)

And that's ignoring the fact that MANY here on pc have over 200K miles with little maintenance. Heck, there are cab companies with over 300K miles logged ... and stilll going. But heck, folks gotta justify doing what ever they do. Good luck!

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So what Toyota dealer charges $1,000,000 for nav? I would suggest other PriusChatters avoid that dealer.

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Remember that's in US dollars. About the same price as a toast & jam breakfast nowadays. :p

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cause our loaded model looks like the base model. At least your V looks more upscale and people know it's the more expensive model b/c of the fogs and 17" alloys.

I think he meant "thousands"

11. 06prius

06prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I have to say that I am very like seaside. It seems that a lot of people on this board think you should drive a car until the wheels fall off and I would agree financially it makes sense but like seaside, I love autos and could get a new one every year if I was rich. I probably keep a car for a couple of years on average. I know it does not make sense to a lot of people but that is the way it is to me. If the value of my Prius did not tank with all this bad news I would probably be getting something new sometime before the winter. I still may but it will depend on if the value goes up a little. Just remember that everyone is different.

12. penbed

penbed New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just traded my Pri for a Camry, never did "fall in love" with the Pri.
    I did like the mpg.
    0% interest, $1,000 Toyota loyalty bonus, two year free service package.
    Dealer even signed a statement all acceleration problems have been fixed.
    My wife drives the car most of the time, if something happens, look out Toyota.
    So long to the friends I made along the way on this forum.

13. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I can't say I keep up with seaside but I have owned a few cars in the 10 yrs I've been driving. I have only bought 2 of them new, and it probably would have stayed as 1 right now had the new Prius not been so darned tempting!

I've had: 1989 Mercury Tracer, 1995 Geo Metro, 1996 Mazda Protege, 1996 Nissan Maxima, 2003 Honda Civic, 2007 Honda Civic Hybrid, (some year) VW Passat, 1998 Chevy S10, and now the 2010 Prius. I also owned a 2009 Honda Motorcycle and now have a 2009 Harley. Of course, not quite as many cars, but most of those were owned less than 2 years. In fact, I think all of them were, except the Geo Metro. The Passat & S10 were 2nd cars at the time.

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP claims to have a fat income stream yet he finances instead of paying cash? If that's true it's stupid; he's just giving away money.

*plonk*

15. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry for my typo; yes, I meant $1,000's.

I don't have a high income stream; property investing brought in sparatic income. I use my money for investing in REAL ESTATE- NOT CARS! Why spend $25k-30k on a car cash when you can put that as a down payment on a rental home? A rental home that will increase in value (eventually) and will have a tenant paying the mortgage?

The HSD warranty in CA in 150k miles- you are correct. BUT, that only covers hybrid components and doesn't get investigated for free. Just to have the dealer diagnose a Prius is costly. And I wasn't directly speaking of the Prius when I said I don't want to worry about repairs including transmission engine etc- I meant for "regular" cars. If I found a non-hybrid car or SUV with 50k miles and only want to keep it for 1 or two years, it mostly is because I don't want to worry about expensive repairs. Speaking of expensive repairs and the Prius; anyone take their '06-'09 Prius in for the faulty headlights? I did. Luckily Toyota had agreed to reimburse me, but the dealer charged just under $500 to replace the FAULTY headlights- headlights that Toyota KNOWS are deffective and won't recall. My mom has an '05 Prius and is now having trouble with her headlights. My step-dad google researched info before he mentioned it to me and told me there are 100's of results when you look up Prius headlight issues. Some people say it is an easy, cheap fix, others say you have to spend $300. Who do you believe? If a headlight is so expensive, what other repairs would I have encountered that were not covered by any warranty? And for those that will tell me to not take it to a dealer- how do I find a repair shop I trust? Take it to "ABC Auto repair" and hope that they do what is needed? I like knowing that if I go to a dealer and they break something or don't fix it right, I have Toyota behind me. John at ABC Auto won't give a s**t lol

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That makes complete sense if the return is better than the cost of the car loan. I will borrow any amount of money if I can guarantee a return greater than the cost of the loan. It's the guarantee part that usually stops me.

Putting this another way, you are using your car loan to finance your real estate business. I would have thought that there would be a cheaper way to borrow money, but with the auto business in the crapper you may be onto something.

Tom

17. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have excellent credit so I usually qualify for the best rates. The Prius was the highest I ever had. When I had purchased the Prius rates had gone up for some reason and Toyota at that time had a long waiting list for a Prius; so they weren't offering anything special. I also pay more than my monthly payment amount, so I pay less interest :)

18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe me :)
    Does the '05 have HIDs? They really ARE easy (especially if you have small hands :) ) and there is NO REASON to remove the bumper to do it. Toyota recently dropped the price of the HID bulbs after people complained how much more expensive they are than those from other manufacturers. I think they are still a lot more than 'equivalent' non OEMs purchased on Ebay (reliable vendor!!)

The HID leveler sensor on the rear axle. I don't know if it extends beyond the '04-'05 years but there was some issue with sealing the potentiometer case. Apparently they fixed it at some point.

There are 3 springs inside. 2 of mine were horribly corroded at just under 100K miles, amazing I didn't get the warning a LOT earlier. The other looked brand spanking new. There was no evidence of moisture in the case. I cleaned it up, made 2 new springs from the core of a coax cable, all better. Cost: nothing more than a little research here on PriusChat.

They charge $390 for the part which includes the bracket the potentiometer and 'arm' are mounted on AND the 4" long 'dogleg' strut with a ball joint on both ends that connects the arm to axle bracket (sold separately for almost nothing) on the axle.

My dogleg strut had a tear in the boot of one of the ball joints and it was impossible to move while the other end rotated in all directions easily. They don't sell that part separately. Talk about a ripoff, it is held on to the 'expensive' part by 1 nut (which they sell separately for about $0.20). I was fortunate in that PriusChat member Kenmce had an entire unit with non working potentiometer and gave me the dog leg. I was considering buying a similar ball joint (sold online for about $5) and either tapping or welding it onto the old strut. I'd have to go some to let Toyota screw me for $390 for a piece that should cost MAYBE $20. OK, you can get them online for maybe $100 less but that is still well over $200 more than one should pay if they only need the strut.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was ogling a GTI at Hayward VW last Saturday. Was on the way home from a motorcycle group ride, dressed in full leathers. The salesman asked several times if I wanted to test drive the car. I did.

I think this one had the 18" wheels and you could feel the road quite a bit, but not too bad. Salesguy said hit the gas, see what it'll do. Pulled a U-turn, got into the throttle ... got off the gas within a few seconds ... it was up to 45 MPH in probably 3 or 4 seconds. It was very quick.

You've definitely got a fun car and there's utility with the hatchback. Seats 4 fairly well too, but not much cargo room back there. You could average about 28 mpgs, but, yes the turbo requires premium gas, about 6 to 7% more than regular.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 buyers guide shows the GTI as worse than average reliability. The dealers try to say that was for the 03 and earlier cars, but the newer ones are much better. VW has been making GTI's since the '80's, so if they haven't got it down by now, don't think they ever will.

But, some people love 'em, reliability issues and all.