1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold the 2013, got a 2008 Prius!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusRay128, Jun 14, 2020.

1. PriusRay128

PriusRay128 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello Everyone,

I had a 2013 Prius 3 which i loved with 90k miles and got a offer i couldnt refuse and sold it. Many months later, I just bought a fully loaded 2008 Prius from one of my customers with a faulty Transmission to use for work. She had the Hybrid battery replaced last year at the Toyota dealer for $2,800 dollars as the car has 118k miles.

I installed a used transmission with 74k miles off a 09 Prius, since i had it open I also replaced the inverter and regular water pumps, spark plugs, belt with oem toyota parts. Drives great, def a different drive than the generation 3. Only weird part is the bluetooth is only good for phone calls and cant play music from my smart phone????

Data Daedalus and bisco like this.
  2. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Data Daedalus, SFO and PriusRay128 like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you a hybrid mech? can we refer people to you?

SFO likes this.
  4. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Welcome to our generation of Prii. 2008s were not equipped for playing Bluetooth music, only telephone calls.There is a 3.5mm jack located inside the console at the front that is for playing music from a phone or mp3 player.

5. PriusRay128

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I run a body shop and automotive repair shop. Honestly, i hardly get priuses come in since they hardly ever break down. Its usually the hybrid battery that fails when they come in but only 2 or 3 a year and most got 200+k miles!!! Best mechanically built cars IMO. If you ever need suggestions for parts, feel free to ask. The transmission ran me 315 dollars with documenting miles from a vehicle that was hit in the rear and and running condition!!!!

bisco and SFO like this.
  6. PriusRay128

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Awesome info. I was leaning towards that way instead of changing the head unit. Very weird Toyota went that route with their bluetooth haha

srellim234 likes this.
  7. PriusRay128

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Always been a risk taker, i take my chances. No risk no reward. You can find non oem cats for 150-200 dollars

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're happy with what you've got.
    You have some DIY skills that allow you to maintain, cheaper than someone with no skills.

I would put any worries about Catalytic Converter theft in the Porcelain Throne with the magical whirlpool and flush.

The theft does happen, it unfortunately seems to be growing, but IMO you don't live in fear.

If you can replace the transmission, the inverter, and water pump?
    IF and only IF the catalytic converter would be stolen? My bet is you can find a way to fix it.
    But why worry about something that hasn't happened, and may never happen?

9. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What failed in the transmission and any idea why? I have a gen 2 2008 with big miles on it and besides having to change the cat, it runs like a train. I did change the timing chain, but that was a misdiagnosis on my part and the taxi mobs mechanic. I did replace the lead acid starter battery with 4 LFP cells I had from a very tired house battery pack that had been seriously abused and that sorted the failing 12v battery problem. It still goes flat if I forget to disconnect it if it is going to be parked up for more than a week, but it recharges every time and doesn't throw any of those failed battery codes.

T1 Terry

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to remember that this generation was designed prior to and released in 2004 with an update of some features in 2006. This was 3 years and 1 year before the first smartphone (iPhone) was released in 2007. Bluetooth would have been in its infancy too.

Montgomery likes this.
  11. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Not really. Back then streaming music wasn't part of the very first bluetooth capabilities. That would come a couple of years later for most autos. BTDT

You can get a good yet cheap ($20) bluetooth adapter that plugs into the mini-jack in the armrest and use AUX for music streaming.

Montgomery likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 doesn't have Bluetooth for music, just phone calls.

13. Rose02218

Rose02218 New Member

Vehicle:
    1999 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this car has a place to be. I adored my Prius until I had to say goodbye to him. But in any case, I want myself the same in the future. Also had a problem with playback and acquired an adapter for listening to music

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, just run a wire from the phone's headphone jack.

There's another trick, almost an Easter Egg in this day-and-age: the head unit is actually an am/fm radio. I guess the problem though: fm has turned into commercial laden dreck. :(

Montgomery likes this.
  15. Calimobber

Calimobber Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For music this is the coolest little bluetooth adaptor. Its powered off the usb port next to the aux plug and will automatically turn on when you start the car since the usb turns on. then will automaticall shut off with the car so your music or podcast stops immediately after shuting down the car. Buy the ground filter as will since the usb and headphone share the same ground it give you a hum if you dont use the filter.

16. James1964

James1964 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We put a grom into my son's 2005 and it's been great for a long while now. About $149.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.