1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solid Gen III "box beam" mid chassis under brace stiffener cound make a NICE "hide safe"

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In my continuing thoughts of developing new ideas, I'd like to know what PriusChat member would think of a "solid"box beam" mid chassis under brace as a secret "hide safe" for a spare key, additional money as other "goodies."

I already offer a Gen II "solid box beam brace" for those Gen II owners, who are already interested.

I have uploaded a photo of the end.

I haven't made the Gen III solid box beam for a while, but I would like to know, if there is any interest in one.

Attached Files:

2clicker likes this.
  2. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    im interested!

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be working on one. Thanks for your interest.

4. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what kind of latch or lock were you envisioning?

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm thing about regular Phillips or security pin torx screws.

6. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    pin in torx is a good idea. consider a hinge so the lid doesnt come off completely.

7. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Of course, a hidden spare key is different than a hidden spare key fob - let's keep in mind that the fob, centered under the car, is likely to let any passerby open the car because of its RF influence. My Son and I were playing in the driveway just last night walking up to our Ford Fusion and our PiP with the different key fobs, testing the proximity trigger boundaries.

There are RF-proof fabric pouches and RF-shield-coated Mylar envelopes on the market - such a pouch added to the hidden compartment might make a difference.

Mike500 likes this.
  8. 2clicker

2clicker Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    or you could just put a metal cut spare in there. it will still get you into the car.

9. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, and that's of value. However, as I remember the sales pitch details of the GenIII/PiP, the car won't start without its fob-embedded microchip. Memory might be wrong though... or maybe I'm thinking of the GenI I used to have back in 2003 - 06, which had old-style-looking keys.

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This is correct, you need the rfid chip to start a car with SKS. The mechanical key would only allow you to open the door.

You would then need a hidden SKS fob, shielded with foil or a rfid pouch, inside to start the car. Or you could keep the fob without a battery in it, then you could forego the foil/pouch. Then hold the fob up to the Start button for a few seconds to start the car.

SCH-I535

11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hey,

I don't see any problem, if there is no locking mechanism on the compartment.

The viability of not having it found depends on the owner's ability to keep it a secret.

I'd NEVER buy a floor safe from a dealer locally, and much less, have the dealer and their crew install it with their truck with the big sign on the side stating that they sell locks and safes.

30 years, ago, I bought a floor safe; a really cheap one from the local hardware store. I installed it myself one weekend. I has NEVER been compromised after 30 years. I sold the house to my neighbor's son. He tells me that he's still using it.

In 1992, I had a contractor build a house and install a floor safe. That was my biggest mistake. Everyone in the neighborhood knew about it. I'm glad that I stayed in that house for only 2-1/2 years and that I wasn't robbed.

My current floor safe was purchased off of eBay, shipped in a plain box. It was installed by me 10 years, ago. No one except me knows about it; now my wife, not my kids and especially NOT my neighbors. I've been told by law enforcement and security experts that almost nobody looks for or finds a floor safe in a home that I in a working class neighborhood.

Since the solid "box beam brace" is made of about 1/8 inch thick aluminum, it, except the open ends will not emit the RF signal that unlocks the car.

Wrapping the Smart Key in several layers of aluminum foil and then in a black plastic garbage bag and stuffing it in the box beam would be just fine.

Anyone who has my solid box beam installed could immediately do this. If you are a real "worry wart," hide the body of the Smart Key (wrapped in aluminum foil) in a compartment inside the car and the key insert in the brace.

For the extreme "worry warts," just stuff the box beam with a rolled up garbage bag and see when it's gone. It will most likely NEVER happen.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just installed a safe in my Prius and am loving it!.......oops

13. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Hmm, maybe a service tech or tire shop employee would notice the garbage bag stuffed in there and take it out? I think I would... ;)

Might even throw it away without realizing there's something in there. :eek:

So remembering to remove it before getting your car serviced or worked on would be a good idea. :)