1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Solid state battery in 2022 prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by MegaPrius101, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MegaPrius101

MegaPrius101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2022 Toyota electric car to use solid-state batteries: updated report

Older article and not sure if repost (if so, just ignore this)..

I was thinking about the next gen Prius recently as it seems the Prius redesign interval is every 6 years and punched in 2022 Prius on Google and this was first thing that popped up.. very excited to see what they’ll have by then as I should be shopping for a new car by then.

Can’t wait..

Prius Pete likes this.
  2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d be interested to know how they fixed the dynamic response particularly in cold weather. Maybe they’ll slap a NiMH battery pack in like they did with FCEV (Mirai) to fix that dynamic response.

Hopefully they’ll pair it with SiC electronics for a completely air cooled car.

Unsupervised!
    iPhone ?

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to be too much of a damp blanket but
    Its conflating two different things. Toyota is indeed developing solid state batteries both on its own and with panasonic. They hope to demo the battery prototypes in a car next year, but according to panasonic the tech was at least a decade away from being better than lion last year. That means a low production vehicle at least until 2027.

Toyota is building a new platform with daihatsu and subaru, and this has been accelerated in terms of volume according to new toyota/subaru press releases. Its this new platform, likely that they are talking about in 2022.
    Toyota Details 6 New EV Models Launching for 2020–2025

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pie in the sky. although they have been working on it, no one can predict if and when it will pan out, not even engineers.

we'll get higher tech batteries when we get them. wishful thinking won't make them come faster

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah when I saw "new platform", I thought "well it can't be a Prius".

However, the new platform could be the "e-TNGA" that was discussed in the latest report in Post #3. Given that the Prius is built on the same platform as the CH-R and Corolla, it might be ok for the Prius to go on the e-TNGA since Toyota has two other models to share the cost (and the Corolla is available in sedan, hatch and wagon form in both gas and hybrid... annnnd it's a popular model).

I would like to see a Prime with SS or a full Prius BEV with SS batteries. Can one assume with solid state, a faster charger isn't necessary? (i.e. a 6.6kW onboard charger is sufficient... without having to go to 10kW like the Model S/3 LR)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If you want faster charging on AC, then you need the faster charger. The battery chemistry is just going to dictate the maximum rate it can handle.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ohh ok. So either a higher powered charger or a more efficient motor/inverter/battery to get more range with similar or low AC charging times.

Most L2 public chargers are 6.6kW Max so higher charging will have to be done at home.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was something I was reading (Scientific American or New Scientist - maybe?) where manufacturers were considering using a combination of solid state and batteries - to use the strengths of each. Fast charging came into the conversation, but I can't recall the details - plus I didn't have a full understanding of what they were talking about. My understanding is that solid state batteries are likely to still be Lithium based - at least in the early days, just using a solid electrolyte, think Magnesium was being worked with too.

With the e-TNGA, this article says " ...In total, Toyota plans to roll out six models on the e-TNGA platform. The list includes the compact crossover mentioned in the previous paragraph, a medium crossover, medium SUV, medium minivan, medium sedan, and a large SUV. Suzuki and Daihatsu have been confirmed as development partners on the compact crossover ....".

[ New Toyota e-TNGA Platform Detailed, Every Model Will Be Electrified By 2025 - autoevolution ]

9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For handy reference:
    kW Amps Volts AC Comment
    1 0.96 8 120 USA home shared circuit
    2 1.4 12 120 USA home ordinary 15A circuit
    3 1.9 16 120 USA home 20A circuit
    4 6.2 30 208 USA commercial 3 phase
    5 7.2 30 240 USA home split phase
    6 8.3 40 208 USA commercial 3 phase
    7 9.6 40 240 USA home split phase

• Canadians may have other voltages and currents available.
    • I've seen 48A claimed for direct wiring vs NEMA plug.
    • J1772 is rated up to 80A, we have one in Huntsville.
    Bob Wilson

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes.

Public L2* chargers aren't actually chargers, they are just a physically oversized EVSE. It is car's onboard charger doing the charging. The public EVSE might limit that car's charger because of the limits of its electrical supply, or the owner charges by time, and wants to defraud EV owners with faster chargers.

* I'm assuming this is AC. Officially, there is no longer a L3 by the SAE. It is AC L1, AC L2, DC L1, and DC L2.

Solid state just refers to the battery not using a liquid(or gel or goo) electrolyte, not the type chemistry. The solid state batteries under development are Li-ion. So they aren't a solution for those worried about raw material supplies.

alanclarkeau and Tideland Prius like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update. I was wondering what happened to “L3”. Ok DC1, DC2 etc makes more sense as we increase the power delivered by the EVSE.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I think it came about because of the differences in how the charging is handled.
    With AC charging, the job is handled by the charger built into the car, and thus it becomes a limiting factor on charge rate.
    With DC, what people call the charger is truly charger. So the only limiter in the car is the battery itself.

I don't think there is any DC L1 chargers in use within the US. Telsa's local Superchargers might be rated faster than the terms definition. China might have some. It may not be much faster than AC L1, but you get a wider selection of what charger to use when it is outside the car.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Makes sense. Around here, the ChargePoint stations will tell you the kW that’s is is delivering and it’s dynamic. I’ll see mine increase as the neighbouring car decreases because it’s getting close to fully charged. (Or vice versa).

Wait. So what is DC L1 then? I thought that was 50kW.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm still trying to figure out 'regular', 'premium' and 'super hightest'(n)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  15. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where does Ethyl fit in?

alanclarkeau and bisco like this.
  16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think that regular is when your car dumps its exhaust at consistent intervals

Mike

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    [​IMG]
    Electric Vehicle Charging Levels Explained

I guess some of the CHAdeMO and CCS units out in the wild might only be DC Level 1.
    Superchargers now exceed DC Level 2 definitions. The very first ones might have been 70kW. The Urban Superchargers have a 72kW max.
    Tesla Supercharger - Wikipedia
    Is that like whiskey and whisky?

Tideland Prius likes this.
  18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A little history - ethyl is short for
    tetraethyl lead gasoline
    the additive for lead gasoline. Its mostly gone now because of the unhealthy air pollution.
    Probably should just say DC and rate.
    Aren't many the newer DC chargers much faster than the 200A 400V - 90 KW max.

Tesla v3 are 250 kw, I think it peaks around 700A, which only the model 3 can currently take advantage in the tesla stable. The software conditions the battery when it approaches to supercharger so that charges can be as fast as possible. Rumors are the x and s will get maxwell technology batteries next year (300 wh/kg dry electrode) and be able to use them at these high current levels for new cars.

Combo plug now are being built at 800V x 450A, but most will be 400V x 450A or 175 KW, the max standard for that and changedemo is 1000V x 400A or 400 KW.

For these high rates its likely batteries will be charged at the charging stations and discharged into cars to buffer the grid.

Chinese standards are going for 900 kw
    China Is Developing New GB/T Fast Charging Standard At 900 kW

#18 austingreen, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  19. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, remember it well. Was just being silly.

austingreen likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

San_Carlos_Jeff, bisco and Trollbait like this.