1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Solid state battery in 2022 prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by MegaPrius101, Jun 24, 2019.

1. MegaPrius101

MegaPrius101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    EA952E93-927E-4FD2-99DF-4D67B4327832.jpeg D929515A-D17A-4A6D-9D12-38876E744637.jpeg Interesting article on future of electric car batteries I caught in a tech magazine today..

Looks like Toyota has been working on solid state for a while now..

Prius Pete and alanclarkeau like this.
  2. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]
    Only the finest neurotoxins for my car!

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  4. landspeed

landspeed Active Member

Tetraethyllead is interesting as if has hydrocarbon and metallic structure. Lead is still concentrated in hedgerows etc by many roads.

Now, dimethylmercury. Another organic / metal bonded molecule. That is the stuff nightmares are made of

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In defense of tetraethyl lead, it provided the high octane, aviation fuel that helped the Allies defeat the Axis powers. Even today it is found in 100 octane, low-lead aviation gas.

Bob Wilson

alanclarkeau likes this.
  6. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    And if it was only used in limited military and aviation purposes, we'd all have been far better off.

The Nation has an article covering the history of ethyl that is a pretty good read, if a bit long: The Secret History of Lead | The Nation

7. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, it reads like the Baby Boomer generation has a solid class action lawsuit for any number of various ailments.

Unsupervised!
    iPhone ?

#27 drash, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  8. MegaPrius101

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wow .. that went off topic..

What’s next ? AI self-driving vehicles colluding with one another to kill off the human race ?

9. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also some evidence that it was a significant driver of high rates of violent crime.

New evidence that lead exposure increases crime

But you know, lead is so awesome. Now you've got me laughing at you and not with you.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They'd still need us to change tires and coolant.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  11. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    if they make some progress on self-cleaning windshields, we won't even need washer fluid or wipers. Save another 9 or 10 pounds or so to make room for more battery....

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    ZAK-LEE . . . after this is perfected in the lab it will be another decade before it becomes prevalent (lithium ion took even longer) since the large scale manufacturing issues will be enormous. Then, once it's dialed in, (think hydrogen ... every 10 years, another 10yr promise comes up) ... the 1st market would be small applications like phones & tablets. Only then will it go to cars. Doesn't anyone study history? Jeez. If it happens? Sure, the economic payoff will be huge. Even so, don’t expect solid state batteries to be a major technology until 2030. How many other breakthrough promises have been promised for electric storage that ended up being vapor-ware. Just saying.

Trollbait, alanclarkeau and royrose like this.
  13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree - though - we don't know what has been stewing in the cauldrons of laboratories hidden from view. Hydrogen - could it be an intermediate stage? It's all a guess at this stage. There is also UltraCapacitors - who knows, there was talk about graphene being involved in the design, but it got a bit high-tech for me? The gyrobus using a flywheel to store energy short-term?

I wonder if the future might use a combination of many technologies - hybrid by another route?

14. MegaPrius101

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

Funny you bring that up.. I was thinking about incorporating something else recently.. not going to say what it is .. but did some research on the possibility..

Perhaps even modifying my Prius to see..

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the announcements aren’t for the general audience, like us. They are more to scare up investments. But somebody should tell Shigeki Terashi. He seriously believes Toyota will intro a Solid State battery powered car next year.

Toyota accelerates target for EV with solid-state battery to 2020

Unsupervised!

hill likes this.
  16. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thomas Midgley, Jr,, the man who also invented Freon, actually died a horrible death from lead poisoning and polio, having been strangled in a mobility contraption that he designed.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no doubt toyota can demo a car with a solid state battery next summer. The trick is to get a car with it to be better or less expensive than teslas and lgs lithium ion. Allow it to cost $1000/kwh and only need it to last a year, and we are there, but this needs to be better than today's standard

18. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s better but not less expensive. It’s actually quite a leap. Last year at this time they demo’d a SS battery in a car and it barely got across the parking lot. I’m just not sure they can produce these to even compete with the cost of the Mirai let alone Tesla. I wouldn’t be surprised if they put them in a Lexus because of the cost. Still don’t don’t look for mass production to get ahead of their roll out of their e-TNGA.

Unsupervised!

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What I found of side interest is that we have corporate greed pushing ethanol gas blends today, but if not for such back then, our cars would have been using such blends for decades.

20. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually, there aren't a whole lot of super top secret projects.
    First off there are plenty of academic and industry conferences where the students, scientists and engineers go to show off and recruit talent. If you keep it too secret you lose out on recruiting top talent. Unlike TV and movies, this stuff isn't developed by one lone guy in a basement lab -- you need lots of good engineers.
    You also need funding. If you are a small startup you need VC money, angel money or a big industry partner. You don't get this by remaining quiet.

So, sure, there are lots of secret little details...but probably no big secrets that those in the industry don't know about.

Mike