1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Solid state battery in 2022 prius

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by MegaPrius101, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it's corporate greed and to keep the price of corn high to satisfy Iowa, where the first Presidential Primaries are held.
    Prior to the turn of the last century, both Ford and California heavily invested on "Gasohol," blended from gasoline and methanol.

The ethanol corn lobby changed that. Ethanol or fuel produced from high energy expenditure is more expensive than gasoline.

Methanol can be cheaply extracted from garbage dumps, and readily and locally converted from natural gas (methane) and supplied to local fuel blenders.

Making ethanol from food is illegal in China.

Unfortunately, very few methanol fuel compatible vehicles are made available.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toyota is doing a lot of politicking. they have taken gm's role of big talk but no action.

my, how times have changed

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Work also goes on at university and government labs. Honda, Caltech, and NASA are working on fluoride batteries for instance.
    Honda’s New Fl-Ion Battery Chemistry | CleanMPG

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Today in Energy - Daily Prices - Prices - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Code:
    Gasoline-RBOB ($/gallon) - Nymex Jul      1.95 -1.2  34  15
    Heating Oil ($/gallon) - Nymex Jul        1.95 -1.0  23  10
    Natural Gas ($/million Btu) - Nymex Aug   2.32 +2.5 114 373
    Coal ($/ton) - Nymex                        NA   NA  NA  NA
    Ethanol ($/gallon) - CBOT Jul             1.56 -0.4  <1  <1

Perhaps you might want to reflect and revise?

Bob Wilson

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Moving up the timeline to 2025 and having a solid state battery vehicle by the 2020 Olympics draws parallel to the original Prius having an EMS (Energy Management System) prototype st the 1995 Tokyo Motor Show ans then having the Gen 1 Prius completed by Dec 1997 for the signing of the Kyoto Protocol.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely technically doable, but back then there was no competition. I have serious doubts that solid state lithium batteries will be competitive with liquid or gel electrolyte by then. Toyota's partner panasonic has said as much. As I posted previously I do expect they will have a car running prototypes solid state cells but it doesn't to be able to operate well for years or in harsh environments.

My best guess for sound strategy is to build the new e platform to be able to handle liquid conditioned current technology lithium cells then transition to solid state batteries when they are ready. Its not as if toyota needs to reinvent the wheel here, I'm sure they have at least read the reports on the model 3, bolt, kona, i3, and know what competitors are doing.

7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Since Sandy Munro brought it up just so many HOURS ago (july 31) . . . . & having his finger on the pulse of all things auto ... including battery developement ... including solid state - ANY one who thinks THIS company or that WILL have solid state by the year that's just around the corner? Sorry - not ready. Here's what Sandy sees - if you go directly to the 29 minute & 50 seconds - he puts it out there for the next minute & 15 seconds.
    Enjoy !!

8. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Solid-state batteries won't be available until 2025 earliest, probably more likely not until 2030.

hill likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  10. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt