1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solio

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mystery Squid, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I wonder if I could attach it directly to the outside of the Prius, maybe right next to my satellite antenna....

http://www.solio.com/v2/index.htm

Anyone have one who can make comments on it?

Apparently, it's only $100...

2. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 2 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]369640[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have one, but I saw it on TV a lot last month. Amazon has the black for $80 and the white for $88. Give it a shot, Squid, and let us know how it works out.

3. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 2 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]369640[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting gadget. The Solio batteries can be charged with a wall plug or the built-in .9W solar panels. But attaching it to your Prius kind of takes away the portability factor, doesn't it? Most things you could charge with it you could also charge from the cigarette lighter or whatever it is they call them these days. Any gain you get from using solar power instead of Prius gas power would be offset by increased wind resistance.

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Jan 2 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]369670[/snapback]</div>
    ...actually, the more I thought about it, it may be able to be mounted on the inside somewhere, maybe even on the front dash somewhere. For me, it's more a matter of convenience, as I spend a ton of time in my Prius, plus, I live in FL, so sunshine won't be a problem. I could use that to charge phones/Ipod, whatever, plus, free up an outlet on the Prius.

...and last but not least, seems damn cool just to have around! :)

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This info was only in the FAQs...

6. Mystery Squid

You know, the more I'm looking into this, the more I'm starting to find...

Just from about a 5 minute cursory romp through ebay simply entering a search term of "solar panel", you get all sorts of stuff that seem to be far better deals... Apparently (and I could be wrong on this, again, it's based on all of 5 minutes of research), all you need is a panel, controller of sorts, and a battery.... My IDEAL might be something like having a huge solar panel atop the Prius to power and/or recharge all sorts of stuff. Who knows, maybe even an installation upon the front dash (it's sure big enough), or some contraption in the cargo area that can be covered with that roll-thing.... Maybe even take off on the concept, and start putting solar panels on the roof of the house to power various things... The possibilities seem endless with this...

Like check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/24W-12W-x-2pcs-Monocry...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm getting all excited here! :)

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although not quite as sexy as the 'solio', it's a lot cheaper and has most or all of the adapters you'd need that cost extra w/ the solio. Only thing is this won't store a charge...no internal battery or capcitor...but you could certainly use it to charge some batteries....

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...15904_200315904

I have one, but honestly have never used it....they're trying to get about $20 more than this for the same thing on Ebay. I think I got mine for about $10 less than this with a discount code or something.