1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solution to a problem you might not know you have

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dabard051, Sep 10, 2022.

1. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Long title. But if you're the owner of a Gen 1 Prius that mostly is in only-the-driver use, read on.

When the A/C runs to cool the cabin or as the defroster, the air gets chilled, which condenses moisture out.
    The moisture gets collected under the cooling coils, and is SUPPOSED to drain out of a short hose through the floor of the vehicle.

SOMETIMES that hose gets clogged. The result is water in the front passenger foot well and a subsequent "musty" smell in the cabin. Only gets noticed when the passenger gets in, and notes that the rug is wet.

The solution is to unclog the hose. How?
    It's about a 10 minute procedure. Requires a 10mm socket or nutdriver, and a stick.
    (1) open the passenger door, and remove the kick panels. Use 10mm nutdriver for the black plastic nut.
    (2) roll back the rug in the passenger foot well as far as you can.
    (3) remove the 3 bolts (10mm nutdriver) that hold the cover to the HV computer.
    (4) remove the cover.
    (5) visible behind the radio/CDplayer/center console should be a black plastic hose, about 20cm long.
    (6) wiggle the hose loose from the A/C drain pan and from its hole in the floorboard.
    (7) use whatever you can (stick, etc) to make sure the hose is clear of mould, debris, etc.
    (8) restore things by following the steps in reverse order. Make sure the hose drains outside the car...

History: This Gen I Prius is my daily driver, and most of the time, it's just me. So ithis problem can hide undetected unless you check the passenger side rugs, which is not a top-of-my-list item. Wet rug? Oh, it rained, and maybe the window was open a bit... nope.
    I had this happen 3 years ago when I took the wife to hot, humid Pennsylvania in July. I cleared the clog with a long pipe cleaner from under the car, then forgot about it... until we made the same drive to PA with the wife, except I was in the passenger seat and the passenger side foot well turned into a swimming pool. So I was well motivated to find a better solution... and here it is.

Once you've done it, the procedure is pretty straightforward. For me, it's now a do-it-every-spring activity because when the A/C condensate catch basin overflows, you get hot water on your feet and the rugs take FOREVER to dry out.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Very common and Corollas and Camrys too regular gas cars You've got to keep the drain hose clear if you take your miniature hose kit for your Shop-Vac that you bought to clean your computer keyboard and whatnot and probably never used you can use that little hose and put it up against the drain hose and suck the stuff right out of there with your five horsepower shop vac just takes a second I do it at the beginning of air conditioning season and at the end going into winter to always keep that tube clear and if I have a sunroof I do the same with the sunroof drains

3. Bill Cossaboom

Bill Cossaboom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a similar issue on a 1995 Range Rover Classic where the AC drain gets clogged then drains into the cabin. In that one it's a rubber cap up under the car, reaching over the transmission, I think. Simple but a little dirtier. And seems to make sense going to the final step to work up for a clog.