1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solutions to Locking with Winter Gloves

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It takes 3 seconds to take the glove off and lock the car. It's been sub -20C here all week. My heat stays on 20C (68F) with 2 bars on fan. I never play with it except to defog. Some people hate the cold. Doesn't bother me.

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sure, but it may not be safe depending on where you live.

3. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, we are visiting our Daughter in St. Paul, MN and at -8F I have no problem locking our model five thereWITH FUR LINED LEATHER GLOVES ON! No problems unlocking either.

But. you are right: how much problem is it to take one glove off?

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So far no one has posted the obvious solution to locking a Gen III without removing gloves: Use your tongue. On a really cold day it should work just like the flagpole in A Christmas Story. I triple dog dare you.

:p

Tom

5. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What annoys me is the unpredictable delay between pressing the sensor and hearing the beep. Sometimes it seems like 2 seconds before it beeps. Sometimes it doesn't beep at all so I hit it again. Other times I get two beeps after locking. Is that supposed to mean something? I usually lock it again to be sure.

Edit: Now I press the sensor until I hear the beep. That seems to work better than press and release.

6. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^
    1 beep= locked
    2 beeps= unlock

7. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Surprised that no one has mentioned using the button on the hatch to lock the car.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did mention that in my post
    But when the car has been sitting outside all day between -30°C and -20°C, You not want to try holding the steering wheel without gloves.

True but I still have to take my gloves out to reach for the fob in my pocket and if I'm taking my gloves out, then I might as well just touch the lock sensor.

If you hit lock, it will keep the doors locked unless it senses that there's a key inside then it will unlock all the doors the moment the driver's door is closed.

But the Gen 2 has a physical black button which means you can lock with the gloves on. The touch sensor on the Gen 3 makes it harder.

It outweighs the "hassle" (yeah I know it really isn't) of holding the fob in your hand with your thick gloves, then starting the car. SKS means I keep my gloves on (until I need the thicker ones then I use the solution above).

-35°C is a whole different ball game. I can breathe at -20°C. It's a little harder at -35°C and interesting below -40°C.

Yeah. The delay seems longer on the Gen 3 than on the Gen 2. With the Gen 2, I can push the black button and close the door at the same time and it will lock and beep when the door closes if I time it right. With the Gen 3, I have to close, then lock, then wait to see if it locks (if I have my gloves on).

If you were pressing lock a few times, it will lock and beep up to two times. If there's no delay between the two beeps, then you've unlocked it.

Good point! A little smaller than the Gen 2 but works just as well (I do park backed in which is why it never crossed my mine because I walk towards the front of the car towards the building.

9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How about shooter's gloves:

[​IMG]

Meant for hunters/marksmen, but what the hey, a lot
    of what we do here on PC is friendly "shootin' the s#!t." :D
    Good for finding/fishing small things out of pockets/purses too.

Available for right or left handers from:
    Model 462, Gehmann Slim Line Padded Shooter Glove

10. dustoff003

dustoff003 Blizzard Brigade #003

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would say use the lock on the door interior armrest prior to closing the door. Then after the door closes give the handle a tug prior to three seconds elapsing and the SKS activating to ensure the door is locked. Those gloves you posted look cool but if they are not heavy or warm enough you could always get some industrial Glomitts.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, unless you're a woman, in which case the fob is in your purse and it'd be fiddly to get to it.

The suggestion to lock it on the armrest is a good one, although I don't like that if you have passengers, it puts a delay in a middle step in the process and has you facing the wrong way while you wait. (You have to wait for everybody to open the doors before you can lock them).

12. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Or- step out of the car, wait for everyone to get out, hit lock button on inside of door, close door.

13. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Today it happened again. I pinched the lock sensors on the driver's side door handle (above and below) and it locked the car with two beeps. I didn't let go of the sensors until it beeped. It seemed to lock the car twice in a row. Seems like a bug in the software or the sensors.

My car is a model II so the driver's side door is the only one with sensors. Has anyone else had this happen?

14. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    just use the fob and be done with it...

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I get the Fob out less than every 6 months, I use the button on the exterior about once a month. I use the lock on the inside driver's armrest every day, every stop.

16. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe I'll try that technique. I assume you still unlock using the door handle. The door handle lock button is just too inconsistent.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, if this was a vehicle unlocking thread, I would understand all the folks worrying about gloves and Fobs.

18. prj

prj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To lock the doors, I've been trying the "put the back of your hand vertically against the side of the handle next to the sensors" method. It works very well. (It hasn't been cold enough to wear gloves, though.) This is a Gen III car.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Jimbo, 3rd gen uses capacitive sensors at the "front" of the handle (two lines above and below). You can touch it at the top, or pinch top and bottom... but it does require bare skin (or close to it).

Only works if you have a Model Four and above in the US, though that will change with 2012.

20. Duckles McGee

Duckles McGee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Your $2.50 key works the ignition? Is your car 10+ years old? The good old days are advancing to make cars more difficult to steal. I'm guessing your car doesn't require a chip, have an immobilizer and apparently no laser cut keys.

I didn't buy the car for the SKS and don't really see the need for 3-SKS system, but I have to say, being key free is pretty nice. I have it zipped into one of my upper jacket pockets and I haven't touched it since.