1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[SOLVED for $0] -- 2010 misfire, stumbling, stuttering, coolant loss, head gasket, etc. symptoms

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Atari, Mar 16, 2019.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The only problem with this solution is that the coolant may boil. A 50/50 solution of antifreeze will not boil until 223F, but only if it is pressurized to 15 psi. By removing pressure from the system you are effectively lowering the boiling point to 212F.

The Prius normally runs at about 190F - 195F and the temp creeps up under certain conditions. 212F does not provide you with a very large margin.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    LOL. He "invented" nothing.

Ever since the week after pressurized cooling systems were invented........about 100 years ago......mechanics quickly figured out that not allowing the system to come up to pressure would eliminate or minimize a coolant leak and allow you to still drive.......for a while.

3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You have the right idea but I think your numbers are off a bit.
    I think 223 is the boiling point at one atmosphere (no added pressure) and with 15 PSI it goes up to about 240.

The Critic likes this.
  4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You’re right. That number should be a bit higher under 15 psi. I googled and 223F was the number I found, but it seemed a bit low for 50/50.

5. Kambo

Kambo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Four
    I would love to know if there was any side effects to this fix, I have 2012 PriusV I been notcing my coolant level has been dropping the car seems to struggle unless its in power mode can someone give definant answer to this problem everyone is facing it cant be just as simple as removing the orgin from the coolant resevoir

6. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are right. It isn't that simple.
    Leaving the pressure cap ajar so that no pressure builds up is only an EMERGENCY measure to let you limp off of the highway and into a shop.
    Doing that often results in a violent boil-over if you drive fairly hard and then slow down or stop.

There is no magic. If you have a coolant leak you need to find the leak and fix it right.
    If coolant is leaking into your crankcase oil, and you continue to drive it like that........your engine eventually is likely to be damaged, beyond an inexpensive repair.

P.S. And not everybody has that kind of a problem. Far from it.

7. Drew Michael

Drew Michael New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just did that today using 1/2 of a 38 oz bottle of Bar’s Leaks Sealer with carbon fibers. Worked as described. No more engine shake or cylinder #1 misfires or radiator coolant disapearibg

8. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base

drew, how is your bars leak seal holding up after a year and how many miles on it so far with the fix?

9. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    how did it go long term after removing the coolant o ring?
    how often do you need to top off the coolant?
    how did it perform in the summer?

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What happens with one person's car has little to do with someone else's. There are lots of variables: ambient temperature, car use (flat or hills, traffic or highway, A/C or not, EGR condition, how "bad" the H/G leakage is, etc). So the short form is, it will last until it doesn't.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Tommy West

Tommy West Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    How long did this car last?