1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

[Solved] Front Washer Fluid Not Spraying

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Michael H, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The front fluid sprayer has never worked (owned my 2nd gen for about 3 months now @ 85k miles).

You can hear the motor attempting to work, thus I figured it was a clogged tube. But I have now taken an air compressor and sprayed in the tube (disconnected it from the reservoir) and you could hear/see/feel the air coming out. I reconnected the tube and it is still not spraying out.

Now I noticed that if I turn the knob on the wiper column clockwise or counterclockwise, the fluid works for the back (before I thought only one way made it work). But still nothing for the front.

Maybe the motor is too weak or? Not sure what else to test, and I hate to replace the whole tubing if unnecessary.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On a friend's Ford the tops were clogged because after a heavy snow all the car grime melted into the tiny spray holes blocking them. Nothing came out of the holes.

3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the pump itself could be clogged since you hear it running and the hose isn't blocked.

4. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But I would assume that if the pressurized air could come through the holes, shouldn't that mean they are not/[un]clogged?

That's what I was assuming. Would it be better/easier to just buy a new motor or attempt to unclog it myself?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    start troubleshooting at the pump. if it doesn't spray from the hose connection, is getting proper voltage, and you can't clean it, replace it. otherwise, work your way toward the nozzles. or perhaps you have to start at the reservoir?

6. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I never had to unclog a prius washer pump, but some cars are easy to do it on. give it a good visual; there may just be crud in the tank.

sam sami and bisco like this.
  7. Michael H

Michael H Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the ideas. I am not sure why I didn't think about it when initially working on it, but I switched the hoses to the opposite motors and it worked for the front. This obviously limited the issue to be the pump. I fully removed the pump and did not see anything wrong with it nor did it appear to be clogged. For now, I just switched the motors (so the back one does not work) and have a pump already ordered on its way.

Incase anyone else needs it, part numbers (for my 2nd gen 2008) were:
    Toyota 85330-60180
    Denso 060210-4621

Without the part numbers, the cheapest I found on ebay was ~$20, after searching the part numbers, I found some (even domestic) for <$10.

Thanks for the help.

sam sami likes this.
  8. sam sami

sam sami New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  9. sam sami

sam sami New Member

Vehicle:
    2000 Prius