1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some 2010 "lighting" details

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

also, unlike NA spec cars, european cars have their low beams as DRL usually... so it will be interesting to see what happens in europe.

reason is that some countries have laws that specifically require "low beams" during day.

2. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Paradox:

Thanks for the photos - since when are white parking lights OK in the US? I thought they had to be amber by law, but probably I've missed something.

@spwolf:

Sorry to correct you, but there's an UN-EC Regulation (# 48, IIRC) on auto lighting, and according to that proper DRL's can and do replace national requirements for "low beams" - and as the EU has adhered to this, this is valid in all Member States.
    Also, recent HID bulbs seem to be less sensible to premature ageing through switch off/on cycles than the older ones - otherwise the European carmakers would not market so many vehicles with auto on/off HID headlights.

Still, I do hope that the EU version of the Prius III will get DRL's - there's some consistent rumors that the all-new Lexus RX doesn't have them, because some ridiculous political lobbying work has pushed the date for mandatory DRL in the EU back - and while the European manufacturers have been installing DRL's on all recent models because they were going to be mandatory, Toyota/Lexus managed to cut that cost away :confused:.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The parking lights this time have been split. The one visible from the side of the car is still amber. That's the one required by law. Given the design of the headlight housing, the side amber one isn't visible from the front so they added the forward-facing white parking light.

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks Tideland, forgot to come back and answer, my mind is preoccupied with constant prius delivery thoughts :confused: :D

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Euro version will certainly get DRL's, dont confuse USA with European versions.
    Many Euro states have their own DRL laws, as well as eastern european markets that get euro specifications and are not in EU.

I can tell you that HID's are not good enough right now. They are changing materials in them to improve life, but it is still not good enough due to cost of the HID's.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    np.

7. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is there any word on what the driving/fog lights are and if they're conventional halogen bulbs, any idea what bulbs they are? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

8. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Fog lights on cars equipped are 55w halogens.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone check if the fog covers are glass? Do we know if it's thicker or more heat resistant so it won't crack?

10. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any idea what model of bulb it will be? For example, something like an 893. Just wanting to know as I want to put 3000deg. HID's in and want to have the kit early so i can put it in right away after the car comes home. Will look great with the LED's, not to mention with as bad as the fog can be here in So. Cal.

11. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Type "H11", 55w bulbs. Same bulb as std halogen low beams in non-LED equipped cars. Unfortunately, there is no bulb number indicated in the owner's manual. Page 559 for those who "have" it.

I want to say I did check and they were @ Detroit. No idea on thickness. Could be wrong though.

12. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Speaking about lighting. How does the 2010 Prius Stanadard Halogens compare to Previous year HIDs? Any reports thus far?

Just curious

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

There was a post about it some time ago and I remember them saying that they seemed quite bright, moreso than the ones in the G2...

14. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've been looking at these for the fog lights... I'm sure they won't light up a whole lot but really, regular fog lamps don't either... They are more for looks, so with these it'll look good and for 3W each you can leave them on all the time with the headlights and feel no real guilt...

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED/DRL-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HID-WHITE-3W-CREE-p6302409-1-2.html

I've already ordered new 3300k bulbs for the parking lights and license plate lights as well as new turn signal bulbs for the front and back. Those will still be incandescent, but they only light up amber, when off they have a silver coating on them so there is no yellow bouncing off the reflector, it'll just look all chrome inside.

I just didnt want that yellowish light from the standard bulbs in the parking lights, as it doesnt go with the LED headlights and I didnt want any yellwo in the reflectors. Now I'm just stuck with that yellow side reflector...

15. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So, it's a H11/9005 or 6:

[​IMG]

- not really too much to be excited about.... This lamp type is not the utmost of performance, if I may judge from the hi-beam bulbs on my Lexus RX400h.

However, fortunately, excellent H11 HID replacement kits abound on the market - and for me the hi-beam HID's currently installed on the RX400h will get a new career opportunity as hi-beams on my coming Prius 3.

THANKS! :cheer2: to HTMLSpinnr for this info!

16. rickyky69

rickyky69 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our current Prius II also has aftermarket Bi-Xenons - so conventional high beams are not really acceptable.[/QUOTE]

I am looking for some UE approved xenon optical set that would fit my Prius 2.
    I understand from this post that you have some on your car.

Could you confirm you own a Prius 2 fitted with Xenon headlights ?
    Have the optical set a E sign drawn inside the headlight ?
    If yes, where did you get your car or those optical sets ?
    If not, are you driving this car in Europe, Luxembourg ?

Thanks !
    Ricky

17. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Ricky,

Yes, our 2007 Prius II has Bi-Xenon headlights.

Yes, the opticals have the "E"-sign (as they're bog standard ones).

Yes, we drive the car every day, all over Europe (40 K kilometers so far), and we have NEVER had any issues with police, customs or other forces of law.

Yes, as a mere precaution, the original H4 bulbs get put back in for the yearly "MOT" visit once the vehicle reaches 3½ years of service. It's a matter of 15 minutes of work, and maybe not even necessary, but just to be sure not to have any trouble from any over-zealous "MOT" person we do this.

Si tu veux des explications plus détaillés en français tu peux me contacter par MP ;-).

18. sueinjuneau

sueinjuneau New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Shift lever illumination -

I really hate this little spot light - it's absurd. Any way to turn it off or shall I just got to my coffee drive-through and get a little sip spout cover sticker and turn it into a happy little sun or something?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They are glass. I just hope they've used more heat resistant glass. The ones on the '05 are cracked on the inside.