1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hkazemi, Dec 22, 2009.

1. jthomas2010

jthomas2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

I have a questions about the move from the 5k miles to 10k miles oil change interval. Today I brought my 2010 Prius in for its 5k mile service and was told that my car doesn't need an oil change until 10k miles. When purchasing the car, my dealer differentiated themselves from other dealers by offering free lube, oil, and filter changes every 5k miles for as long as I owned the vehicle. I asked them if the free every 5k mile interval included cars delivered with synthetic oil and they said yes. They even calculated out the future savings based upon the 5k mile interval.

I just checked the Maintenance Guide and it shows a 10k mile interval for normal driving conditions and 5k mile interval for special conditions. I picked up the car today after hours and was not able to discuss this point with the service department but I live 4 miles away from work. My car is primarily used for short trips and I live in New England making morning commutes when the temperature is below 32F common for at least 5 months out of the year. Since my oil changes are free, I'd feel more comfortable getting my oil changed at the more frequent interval, especially considering this forum is filled with folks who won't even let their new cars go 5k miles before changing the oil that they car was delivered with. In addition, I consider this car an investment. I hope to have it at least 200k miles. A 10k mile oil change interval may not matter when the car is brand new but I'm scared that it might limit the lifetime of my car.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting my dealership's service department to abide by their advertised free oil change offer and change my oil every 5k miles? Thanks!

2. web1b

web1b Active Member

Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

Yes, using the car primarily for a 4 mile daily commute as well as winter driving in New England should qualify for the severe maintenance schedule.
    However, you must learn not to believe what dealership salespeople tell you verbally. What does the paperwork regarding free maintenance actually say? That is the only thing that can be enforced.
    You may have been scammed by another lying dealership.

1 person likes this.
  3. jthomas2010

jthomas2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have multiple brochures from the dealer that all say:

"Lifetime Oil Change (Each new or used vehicle purchase comes with complimentary lube, oil, & filter changes at our service facility every 5,000 miles for as long as you own your vehicle (with appointment only.) No paid services are required to receive this benefit."

4. web1b

web1b Active Member

What does a contract say (not sales brochure)?

5. naudurivsm

naudurivsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Well Well Well....

I bought mine 2010 Prius package IV on 10/23/2010. The dealer has offered me service 4live or something like that as long as I do all the factory recommended service at the same dealer.

BUT

Toyota also offered ( now offers to every one I guess) 2 years or 25K miles (whichever is earlier) of FREE maintenance.

Now I am getting it - it is because you need to show up 2 to 5 times in two years time ( with 10K / 1 yr - criteria ) and which would cost Toyota peanuts. that is why they are offering this free service. not sure if it is for other Toyotas as well.

I drive almost 600 miles a week and at this rate, I will only get the FREE maintenance upto 25K and that too within 1 year it will be over. :(

6. lukkas2

lukkas2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Bought a 2010 Prius III yesterday. I was told 10K by the salesman and 5K when signing up with the financial manager. I'll keep an eye out for that coupon. Thanks!

7. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Sounds like you might have visited a DARCARs dealership like me. I bought the lifetime maintenance package but will be going back to the dealer to cancel it.

8. naudurivsm

naudurivsm New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

No it is a Toyota dealership with some good reviews on them. NOT kidding.
    they have something called Auto 4 Life program and you are covered with that as long as you own the car and Factory recommended service is done.

9. BlizzP10

BlizzP10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I bought my 2010 Prius at the end of August and have just over 3000 miles on it. At this rate I won't have 10,000 miles until October or November of 2011. I'll get my tires rotated at 5,000 sometime this spring. Should I go ahead and get my oil changed then as well? I live in the land of winter (and it has been pretty cold but not terribly snowy where I live). I'm guessing a 5,000-mile oil change would be at my expense (and not Toyota's).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

10. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Personally at your rate I wouldn't exceed 5K for your first change. Perhaps after that 10K will be OK. The only way to really tell for sure is a UOA.

1 person likes this.
  11. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Just make sure that the synthetic, 0-20 oil is included. This is the oil that is required by Toyota for the 10K OCI. If it is, you have a great deal, since some dealers charge up to $65 for the service. Remember that Toyota also suggests (requires?) tire rotation every 5K.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

It's not a requirement, as OEM tires have no warranty. You can rotate every 10K if you only take it to the dealer every other 5K.

13. blur510

blur510 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I was also told that my interval is every 10k.. yet my display is telling me that I will be needing an oil change soon, I have 4500 miles, what should I do? thanks

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

In the US, 10,000 miles is the normal oil change interval, you can reset the indicator or have the dealer do it. If you are doing extreme duty, then 5,000 is correct.

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It will continue to come on every 5,000 miles. There are threads about it. It cannot be reprogrammed, but the interval is now 10,000 miles under normal driving conditions. You can reset it and when it comes on again then it'll be time for your change as long as you are driving under normal conditions.

16. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I wonder if they modified the reminder in the 2011s?

17. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I checked with my dealer where I just got a 2011, and the service dept there says EVERY 8000km or 6 months.
    Can't see why there would be a difference between the US Prius and the Canadian Prius, are they not the same vehicle with a few minor changes like DRL's and metric/imperial differences?

18. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

That may be for the northern parts of Canada that are cold, but what about warmer areas that rarely get below 32F in the winter?
    There are many places in the USA that are far colder and get more severe weather than in parts of Canada, so I don't think that's the problem.
    The difference is between Toyota USA and Toyota Canada I'm thinking. It's not a climate issue when both countries have the same hot and cold climates in various provinces and states.

19. mkyang

mkyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I am wondering if it's because where Toyota USA offers service package where Toyota Canada does not. Thus, by lengthing the service interval, they can save money in that front and by not changing it for Canada, is potential for more service business for the dealer.

20. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two

After taking a closer look at the 2011 service manual, it says, first oil change after 8000km's, then every one after that at 16,000km's intervals, so that works out to be about the same as the americans, every 10,000miles.
    That seems to make more sense to me anyways.:)