1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hkazemi, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

Cool, thanks for checking and clearing that up.

2. Billnpa

Billnpa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

Just wanted to let everyone know that when I changed the oil myself on my 2010 Prius for the first time (1,350 miles) there was shiny metal fragments throughout the old oil. I have read about this before, and I believe it's best for the engine to remove that "break in" oil. I believe 10,000 miles for the first change is too long for any car. I have always changed the oil on every new car I've owned around 1,000 miles. The 2nd oil change had no fragments that my wife and I could see.

3. Franknca

Franknca New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I searched the net, found and joined this forum. I've leased a 2010 for 1 year and 1 month and I very much like the Prius. I was unaware of the 10,000 mile oil change as I received the first 2 years maintenance free as part of the Prius purchase. I received 5 coupons for use at 5,000 mile intervals. I found it strange that the dealer would still issue these since they could have cut their costs in half. I just used the second coupon last month.

I probably should post this comment elsewhere but I wanted to get a Prius for my wife too as I love the gas mileage. She will not drive the Prius because of what looks like a bar across the back window which she says makes it difficult for her to see what is behind her in the rear view mirror. It looks like I'm going to have to get her a Honda Civic Hybrid and get 6 mpg less for her. I wish a Prius sedan with better rear view was available.

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

She may wish to check out the Prius v. It will be a larger 2012 model without the bar.

Toyota Prius Family

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Is this in the Canadian issue "owners manual supplement"?

What I see on page 25, left hand column, of my 2010 OMS:

EVERY 6 MONTHS / 8,000 KM LUBRICATION
    * Replace engine oil & filter
    (plus various other items)

and:

EVERY 12 MONTHS / 16,000 KM SERVICE
    * Replace engine oil & filter
    (plus various other items, more extensive than the above)

My take on the above is: you change engine oil and filter every 6 months. Other maintenance items vary, but the oil change is a constant, every 8000 km or 6 mo, whichever comes first.

Is the 2011 wording different?

6. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

I was very surprised when I took my car to the dealer when I hit 5000 miles that they only wanted to rotate the tires and top off the fluid.. lol .. this made me feel better..

7. thecardude

thecardude The Car Dude

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the information on this. I actually got a 2010 Toyota Prius as you mentioned so this toyota oil change information is going to be helpful.

I actually change my oil around every 2.5k miles and not every 3K like commercials say.

Thanks

8. web1b

web1b Active Member

I'm surprised nobody commented on this post.
    It is not normal for there to be harmful metal shavings in the oil of a modern new car. Maybe in 1970 that was normal. It probably should have been sent out for lab analysis to determine what it actually was.
    That sounds like a manufacturing defect if it was actually metal shavings and not something that was supposed to be in the oil to help the car properly break in.

9. roth2006

roth2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I hope this isn't a case of here we go again!

[​IMG]

10. Airman74

Airman74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If you guys aren't happy with what toyota dealership charges, why not just take it to your local mechanic,,, my dealer where I bought my car said it doesn't void warranty, and local mechanic is about half the price what a dealer charges. :)

11. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the dealer do the first oil change after 1 year since the mileage was well under 10k (around 6k). They seemed to be operating under the old 5k plan since they put a sticker for the next change at 11k. The average mileage has gone down since that oil change, so I question whether they even used the 0w20 oil. I challenged them and of course they denied using the wrong oil. I'll probably go somewhere else for the next oil change since I don't trust them to use the right oil or even know the right oil change intervals. Even Jiffy Lube has 0w20 now for hybrids.

12. john williams

john williams Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    had my oil changed at shore toyota in mays landing, nj today and they said 5000k miles and did the sticker as such???

13. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    John, the owner's manual page 560 says if you use 0W20 oil it is 10K; if you use 5W20 it has to be changed to 0W20 in 5K miles.

Some dealers will tell you 5K so they can get more business. Almost all of us on this site use 0W20 (either Toyota oil or Mobil 1) and change it at 10K intervals. No problems yet.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or you could say we have had good results with the 10K OCI verified by UOAs. Of course as they say YMMV. :)

Since I don't drive as much and the conditions a bit harsher up here I am doing 7-8K OCIs. Still way better than our Kia van @ 3K!

15. David Duchesne

David Duchesne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    when will the newer models be officially included in this 10000 mile interval for oil change?
    I have a 2012 Prius in Canada, are we following suit?.

16. armoredsaint

armoredsaint Anti-Eco Company Car

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    i'll still keep to the 5k intervals, it's cheap insurance.

BMW recommends 15k, but I still do it at 5k even with synthetics.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  18. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would do the oil change every 10k miles, why waste money on 5k? Even the manufacturer recommends 10k miles. They built the car. The oil they use is 0W-20 synthetic oil, not your regular 5w-30 or 5w-20 regular oil. I'm for one will change it at 10k miles, I will save more money in the long run.

19. TowDawg

TowDawg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you use a quality synthetic oil and filter, there's no need to change it more often than what the manufacturer recommends. Especially with the advancements of todays technology for additives and such.
    UNLESS it is a vehicle that sees extreme use and especially extreme use and then no use. Or if it's a purpose built engine with tighter tolerances than an everyday, regular use engine. For example, my race car and my Viper (if I do a track weekend with it). For these, I'll change the oil after one track weekend, which may only be 200 miles or so. The main reason I do it on these is that I run leaded race fuel and the engine is run at high RPM's and full load basically the only time it's running (other than warmup and cool down), so the oil is under extreme conditions and some of that lead makes it's way into the oil as well. I don't want to leave that sitting in there until the next time the car is run. I also agree with using a heavy oil for the first 200 miles after a new build, and then changing it to a lighter oil after break-in. However, this generally doesn't apply to production bought engines either.
    Anyway, that's just my two cents from experience. If YOU feel better about changing at earlier intervals, that is 100% up to you.

20. gychang

gychang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in Phoenix, Arizona, I just came back from 5K oil change, etc (apparently used synthetic oil). Costed me $70 at 35Kmiles service.

My window sticker says to come back in 5K miles or 6months. Is it all official since I have 2010 Prius, that I should go back in 10Kmiles? (now have to figure out how to reset the dashboard warning light...)