1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by hkazemi, Dec 22, 2009.

1. mindmachine

mindmachine Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

Letter and updated maintenance manual arrived yesterday.

Important note though the letter warned that you can use the 5-20w oil but if you do you must use 0-20w the next time and the interval is reduced to 5000 miles and 6 months.

2. web1b

web1b Active Member

Re: Some 2010 Toyota Vehicle Oil Change Intervals Officially Revised To 10000 miles/1 year (verified

Seems like Toyota should be able to notify dealers more quickly than they can notify customers.
    There are much fewer dealers and they could probably do it electronically within one day.
    It isn't making sense that it has been taking this long for the dealerships to learn about this.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I think they have. I ask the service manager here yesterday and he said they were notified quite a while ago, he looked it up again just to be sure. I didn't think to ask him exactly when he was notified but he certainly had the information available to him on his computer.

4. rumpledoll

rumpledoll Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

The dealers not acknowledging the new 10,000 mile oil change interval is best explained by the Upton Sinclair theorem:
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it"

Rumple

1 person likes this.
  5. MrBill

MrBill New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

So, what about us who purchased the Pre-Paid Maintenance contracts? I have gotten the run-around by both my dealer (Putnam in Burlingame, CA) and the folks in "Customer Service" (1-800-228-8559). We should have our contract time-frames extended to accommodate the OCI change. Please advise.

6. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I received my new Warranty and Maintenace Guide in the mail yesterday. I noticed on page 6 of the intro, under replacing the key it says "Upon purchase, each vehicle should have two master keys, one valet key and and aluminum tag with a key-code imprinted on it."... I don't recall receiving a valet key or seeing the aluminum tag, when I got my 2010. I kept all my misc. documents and can't find those items. Is there suppose to be a seperate valet key with the 2010? My 2005 came with a valet instruction pad (never had the opportunity to use it as I always park my own vehicle) Time to contact the dealer if I want one???

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I received two SKS key fobs with the mechanical keys inserted in them. I also received a metal tag with a number that can be used to have another mechanical key cut. No valet key for the 2010 Prius.

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Interesting. My original Warranty & Maintenance Guide mentions a valet key on page 6 too. I'm pretty sure that that mention is in error. I believe the key description on page 41 of the user's manual is accurate. The little key code tag should never have been removed from one of the fobs but after you took delivery, if you need to use both fobs you should remove the tag and keep it in a different and safe place. You should find both fobs and check to see if the tag isn't attached to one of them. If you are missing the tag you really should check to be certain that both fobs work the drivers door and start the car up--'Ready' light. You should remove both mechanical keys to see that they both open up your driver's door too. And you should contact your dealer asap about the missing tag. If the tag cannot be found someone may have it who shouldn't have it? If the tag cannot be found then Toyota may owe you a whole new key system for the car. I would get this resoved asap especially if the basic warranty is still in effect.

P.S. This 'key' dicussion is totally off topic. To nug it on topic a little I could add here that I am still waiting for the new Warranty & Maintenance Guide. :) I would like to ask too if the thread's title is correct? Are there 'some' 2010 Priuses early on that did not ship with 0W-20 oil? Can those owner's elect under the warranty to switch to 0W-20 oil and if so do they qualify for new Warranty & Maintenance Guides, etc?

9. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I apologize once again, I searched the 2010 forums for "valet key" and did not find anything. Did a google search later and found a whole discussion from 07/09 discussing this subject. Now know there are no valet keys for sks equiped cars and why.

10. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

What valet key solution, if any, did those discussions recommend? My guess is that there just is no valet key and no reason to be concerned to need a valet key.

11. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

That is correct, basically treat the sks fob as if it were just a regular key. Give it to the valet, let him park the car and handle the keys as they would any other car. Retrieve your car and fob when you return for it.
    I'm not sure how to copy a link to the thread but it was started by PriusChat Forums - View Profile: swanmanor
    on July 31, 2009 if you care to view it.
    My 2005 came with a pad with instuction to give to a valet as, I pressume, the sks system and prius shifter were non standard.
    But as you stated earlier what doe this discussion have to do with 0-20w synthetic oil and 10000 mile oil changes:rolleyes:

12. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

There actually is a minor connection.:) This oil change upgrade to 10K miles gets the owners a new maintenance guide. Well, apparently Toyota is unwilling to fix other errors in the new guide since it still references the valet key that does not exist on page 6. I don't have the new guide but the guy who started this did--I think. I'll apologize after I get my new guide if wrong.

13. Dillona

Dillona Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I received the new maintenance booklet with the revised oil change interval two days ago but there was no coupon for a free oil change enclosed. Has anyone received one of these coupons? If so, it would be appreciated if a copy could be posted on this forum.

Also, I still have not received any recall notifications to date.

14. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You won't be getting one of those coupons. As stated by the Prius Team earlier in this thread.

15. Priususer10

Priususer10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I live in the Chicago area. Is the oil change for 0W-20 costs any differently from the normal oil change?.

16. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I just got my new maintenance schedule and warranty booklet. There was, of course, no coupon for a free oil change.

The "free oil change" is the one you don't have to do every 5K miles. I'm not sure why Toyota would give you a free oil change as part of doubling the OCI.

17. web1b

web1b Active Member

Yes, most dealers charge about $70 for the Prius oil change. A normal car oil change with popular oil is typically under $30.

1 person likes this.
  18. cclingen

cclingen New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota Extra Care

Has anyone heard how Toyota is going to handle customers who's pre-paid their maintenance with a Toyota Auto Care Prepaid Maintenance agreement given the new Oil change interval?

I just called Toyota Financial customer service number: (800) 228-8559. What I was told was that the agreement is for changing the oil every 5k and it's my choice to either change it at 5k or 10k. According to the representative I spoke to, I have the option to change the oil every 5k or 10k but the contract stands as written.

What are our options given Toyota's changing the rules mid-contract?

19. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My mom got a letter this week saying the oil change interval for her 2010 Prius has changed to 10k or 1 year and they will be using synthetic oil. She just got an oil change last week and wasn't sure if they put in synthetic or not. This is in California.

20. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

Today I received a long detailed letter and a complete new 64 page "Warranty and Maintenance Guide" to replace the one in the new car manual set. The letter talks about the benefits of synthetic 0W-20 oil and its usage and the increase O.C.I. to 10,000 miles IF you use synthetic 0W-20 oil.

The letter was from Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. out of Torrance, CA