1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Australian c photos

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Rob.au, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 6.1" doesn't have a DVD player either; it's only on the Denso unit.

I believe Europe's 6.1DA is also different. Toyota calls it "Touch & Go" for those with navigation.

Just took a look at your link and yes, the interface is different from ours. Here's the US/Canada version.

[​IMG]

For those following along, here's the Australian version in comparison.

[​IMG]

2. koipond

koipond Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    any chance that the LED light housings and/or the extended spoiler/wing could be imported to the states? Are these items available at dealers or just installed from the factory? Thanks!

3. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    These items are not available as accessories or even options. Both exist on the i-Tech trim level as standard equipment installed at the factory. We actually have no options at all other than choosing the base or i-Tech trim levels and colour, beyond that it's just the accessories at Toyota Prius C accessories

4. vernon birdman

vernon birdman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting. All Canadians have available as options are the hood deflector, a cargo net and a rear bumper protector.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We really are limited to the accessories we have for most Toyotas. I guess Canadians are as apt to accessorize their cars.

6. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yes, while our C is quite well equipped. they are not as well integrated as some german cars I know.
    here's mine with a wrapped bumper
    [​IMG]

7. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I went away for the weekend, which presented an opportunity to capture a different angle.

birdseye.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

8. ThirdRonnie

ThirdRonnie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    All great photos, Rob. The C looks totally unfamiliar from above.

Also unfamiliar is the rain on it - we don't get that here in Hobart.

9. Blu-ray

Blu-ray Blizzard Brigade #215

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    EGADS! They put the steering wheel on the wrong side!!!!!! How can you drive it like that! :eek:

:ROFLMAO:

Yes I know why the steering wheel is on the right. Nice looking ride though!

10. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I think you'll find it's on the right side. :p

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    So, uh, after I picked up my car from its 6 month service, I remembered I leave the Trip Monitor function on in the GPS, because, well, why not? Kinda fun to see they took it on a little 2km road test after servicing it like they are supposed to. Wasn't quite expecting to see it pick up a 72.7 km/h peak in a 50 km/h area though... oops. :cautious:

carservice_gpslog_20130213.JPG

I guess he didn't get 5 bars on the ECO Score display, but at least the friction brakes work. :LOL::rolleyes:

AutoMo likes this.
  12. AutoMo

AutoMo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ha, I guess they wanted to see that they torqued up all of the wheels, closed the hood correctly, and that they had remembered top off the oil - AT SPEED. Sadly, it sounds like "Stealerships" are the same world wide. Years ago I took my brand new truck to the dealer from which I purchased, for some follow-up work that was agreed to prior to purchase. Anyway when I went back to retrieve my truck it had a door ding! I brought it to the attention of the service manager, and he stated it was like that when I dropped it off! 1 overnight in my garage, 10 miles since pick-up, and I caused the damage. It must have been the chipmunks having a gang-land fight in my garage over night, dirty little buggers..:eek:

13. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I drove down to Australia's capital city Canberra on the weekend and also on the way back I came via the coast and took my c onto unsealed roads for the first time, so I think a couple of photos are in order.

Click on the thumbnails to view full size.

While in Canberra I paid a visit to the Canberra Deep Space Communications Complex, run for NASA and JPL by our CSIRO. The facility is nestled amongst the hills behind Canberra and as you approach, a sign requests you to turn off all transmitting devices, which I duly pulled over to do.

penny-canberra-3.jpg

Along the road and adjacent to the visitor car park stands the preserved DSS-46 antenna. DSS-46 is a 26 metre antenna that was originally located nearby at the Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station where it supported the Apollo missions amongst others, claiming the limelight when it was used to relay live images of Armstrong's first steps on the moon.

penny-canberra-5.jpg

Why did they use this antenna? The problem was that the image being sent to Houston via the Goldstone facility in California was upside-down. It had something to do with the design of the cameras making it easier for the astronauts to use the cameras upside-down, which then had to be corrected through the use of a reversing switch at the tracking station. Goldstone had not set their switch correctly, but Ed von Renouard had set it correctly at Honeysuckle Creek, meaning the pictures were corrected leading Houston to use that feed. Here's the actual switch on display in the visitor's centre. :)

penny-canberra-4.jpg

Admittedly the tribute page to Honeysuckle Creek tells the story slightly differently, but we get the point.

Honeysuckle Creek was decommissioned in the early 80s and the antenna was moved to its current position in Tidbinbilla where it remained in service until late 2009. DSS-46 has been designated a National Engineering Heritage Landmark by Engineers Australia and has been preserved as an engineering monument.

Meanwhile, to the other side of me stood DSS-43:

penny-canberra-6.jpg

At 70 metres diameter, DSS-43 is the largest steerable parabolic antenna in the Southern Hemisphere.

Leaving Canberra via the coast, I had to pause to drive around my favourite national park and state forests which meant I had to leave the sealed roads for the first time. They were roads I am familiar with and I must say for the most part were in fairly good condition, though there were certainly some sections that were tricky, particularly steeper sections where rainwater has carved deep channels in the road and they clearly had not been regraded recently. I was relearning very rapidly the importance of picking your line very carefully on such roads and judging the best location and trajectory for veering across those channels where necessary.

The c performed admirably. I had a couple of bottom scrapes which can be attributed to driver error. I took a few photos, but none of the worst of road sections because I don't like stopping there and obviously full concentration was on driving.

Leaving the bitumen for the first time:

penny-canberra-7.jpg

All alone at the summit:

penny-canberra-8.jpg

A favourite spot all my cars get pictured at:

penny-canberra-10.jpg

And some of the roads:

penny-canberra-9.jpg penny-canberra-11.jpg

Tideland Prius, ftl and TC400 like this.
  14. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Great writeup and photos! My wife and I visited the Complex with a bunch of science fiction fans in 1985 as part of a four-week tour of Australia and New Zealand. Looks like the visitor facilities have been upgraded quite a bit since then.

Rob.au likes this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't have a chance to visit Canberra when I was in Sydney; maybe next time when I'm down under!

16. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Rob.Au, my GPS occasionally cautions me that I have exceeded the speed limit but when I checked, the map shows a different speed limit (which is correct for that section of road) and I'm travelling at that speed.

I've reported this to my dealer who says they cannot do anything about it as it's the program in the GPS unit. Incidentally, anyone has any idea what language the map data is written in? Its not windows OS.

17. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Are you sure it's not just a badly located change between speed limit zones? On mine the overspeed indication is purely visual based on changing colours of the speed limit designation, ie. first the numbers turn from black to red, but if it thinks the difference is greater then the whole disc turns red and the numbers turn white. Is yours different? Mine only shows these states if I am travelling faster than it thinks the speed limit is, typically due to bad map data.

Other than that, the map data is just offensively old and newer maps that will work with our devices is not available. The GPS system in our c is based on and old version of iGO primo. The whole unit is made by Fujitsu Ten... it has a lot of similarities (though also many differences) to their AVN827GA, but ours is a modified version for Toyota. Although the maps are on the SD card, there is no way to get updated maps to work (and people have tried), nor any way to update the system itself. Toyota would have to provide updated maps and they do not.

18. cyeremian

cyeremian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Nice pictures. Nice color too.

19. Mr Gee

Mr Gee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    The overspeed verbal warning can be set. Mine is for 15% over. The visual bits are same as yours.
    the wrong speed post can be on roads where there are no side roads. and these roads have the higher spped limits for as long as I remember

20. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, but a local security company has chosen the c for their night patrol vehicles. They plan to have 150 of them before the end of the year.

Southern Cross Protection secures Toyota for their fleet

[​IMG]

I quite like their decal design (not to mention their vehicle colour choice). It is evidently an Australian base model, which is no surprise. This will definitely make the c a visible addition to our streets!

minkus and PriusC-illa like this.