1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some CO2 gets trapped on land

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Apr 1, 2015.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I suppose it is general knowledge that only half of fossil C burn stays in the atmosphere. The other half is (about) equally split between land and ocean uptake.

For the former, it has been unclear where this is happening. Now it is a bit clearer.

Yi Y. Liu et al (in press) Recent reversal in loss of global terrestrial biomass
    Nature Climate Change
    DOI: 10.1038/NCLIMATE2581

I show their Fig. 1C. How this land uptake varies across vegetation types. These are changes (teragrams per year) from 1993-2012. ABC - aboveground carbon.

The tropical 'carbon sink' is decreasing because of clearing. Undisturbed forests there are mostly doing well (there are some drought issues). High latitude forests are bulking up.

We should have little doubt that if tropical forests were spared, they could sequester more carbon. But this intrudes into 'policy'.
    Liu et al 2015 Fig 1C.jpg

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The graph is of the change per year. Unfortunately, I don't know what the change means in terms of percentage capacity. What are the starting numbers per type of forest/land?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I hope you would not take ill a suggestion to read the paper, Or Pan et al. 2011 from which it drew heavily. You may be asking how much of the (about) 1.8 petagrams of carbon per year is sequestered in each broad vegetation type. The answer is not quite as clear as we'd like. High-latitude forests are certainly important. And by this new work, becoming more so. Perhaps it seems odd to say so, but the rates of change appear easier to figure out than the absolutes.

One aspect that could be surprising is that we don't have a really accurate picture of how much biomass is where. Less so, carbon that is present in soils and dead plant material. Satellites and Asner's LIDAR are really advancing the 'visible' parts. Boots on the ground, measuring things, perhaps less so. The (UN) FAO asks every country to self-report on their forests. I''d rather not be drawn into a discussion about the validity of such estimates :rolleyes:

The OCO-2 satellite is supposed to help a lot.