1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some help installing a usb/audio port

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Bigboi, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Prius Brothers! I know there are threads covering the usb port install, just want to run some things by you so i don't fudge things up since I can't read the instructions they're all in Japaneses! Curse those squiggly characters that I cant use roman alphabet to translate argh

1.) The red wire has a crimp terminal thingy at the end of it. Should i get some sort of add-a-fuse and connect the crimp end of the add-a-fuse to the crimp end of the red wire of the usb port, or should i strip the red wire crimp and plug the exposed wire into an existing fuse slot?

2.) It has a usb audio plug with usb A at the end. I have a usb hub. Can i plug this usb wire into the usb hub and also unplug the usb wire from the stock headunit and plug that wire into the hub and plug the usb hub into the headunit for dual usb audio options?

3.) There's a black ground wire. Can i unscrew the screw attached to the seat railing and put the ground wire there? Is there a better ground wire screw somewhere else? Want to minimize the wires.

4.) I want to install the port itself in one of the 2 blank spots where the fog light switch should be, or the other blank near it (no idea what that other blank is for). Do i just pry that area with my fingernails to gain access to the blanks, no screwed or special tools needed?

Any advices greatly appreciated, thank you so much Prius Bros!

Attached Files:

2. Masterloc

Masterloc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    4. the whole panel, not just the blank ports can be pull out. it's very easy, you can it with just your fingers. the top part, you would need to pop out the dash just a little bit, the panel sits behind it, so that why you need to pull the dash out just a little, then pull the whole panel out, then pop out those ports from the back.

3. there's lots of grounding spot behind that panel. just pick one of your choosing. loosen one of the screw that attached to any metal frame. and use it to ground the wire.

2. No. a usb hub is not just a splitter. the head unit would need to recognize the hub and have drivers for it. I really doubt it does.

1. Just get any 12v line for the red is fine. might as well get it by the fuse box since the panel is literally above it.

Bigboi likes this.
  3. Bigboi

Bigboi Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey oh thank you so much for the advices I'm ready to doing this very soon!! So excite!!!