1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some HV battery questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jayw13702, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

My 2004 GenII has done about 117000 miles, it is pretty smooth and the HV battery seems to be doing well, it holds charge well and charges quite quickly if needed.

I read on here that there is a battery fan for the HV, we have a bit of a heatwave over here in the UK currently and i have noticed that the battery does discharge slightly quicker whilst hot. I have never heard this fan, should i be able to hear it? where should i be looking for it?

Also i read about inverter coolant change, i believe mine is about due, is this difficult, can a very competent DIY mechanic do it? how much of it will i need and is it a toyota fluid only?
    Whilst on the subject of inverter coolant, the pump, mine makes a fair bit of noise, like a muffled woodpecker!! is this normal?

finally, trans oil, is this a sealed for life unit, if not how hard is it to change the trans oil and does anyone know what type of oil and what quantity.

Thanks

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    On warm days the HV cooling fan will run and can be heard. If the fan runs on high for long periods, it is an indicator that the HV battery is generating more heat than it should.
    There are two independent coolant loops: Inverter and Engine. Both use Toyota type SSL coolant (about a gallon each). Toyota says to drain/refill (do NOT flush) each at 100k miles and each 50k miles thereafter. The job has some DIY issues as it can be difficult to get air out of each cooling system.
    No, there was a recall on the electric inverter coolant pump in the US.
    It has been suggested that the Toyota Type WS ATF Be drained and refilled at 60k mile intervals (The Tranny is NOT sealed. I suggest that the first Exchange be done at 30k miles). It is a reasonable DIY job and you can search this site for directions. You will need 4 quarts of the ATF from a dealer and two sealing washers for the fill and drain bolts. My dealer in Connecticut charges $100 for the job.

JeffD

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is good to clean the battery fan, an easy project:
    Fur and dirt causing major battery problems | PriusChat
    If you can hear the battery fan, the battery is getting too hot and wants to be cooled. Run the AC as that keeps the battery cooler too.

Yes, replace inverter coolant if it looks at all cloudy. It too is a DIY. This link has more than just the change:
    100K maint - 4
    Your pump should not make more than a somewhat faint whine. There may be air your system, or it may be about to go, like so many of the ones in GenII. There should be good turbulence in the reservoir when the pump is on.

Yes, replace the transaxle fluid with 4 qts of Toyota ATF-WS. Easy to do if you can get under the car, just drain and fill. Endless discussion about it here. For ex:
    Transmission Fluid Change? | PriusChat

4. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your help here guys, the info I'm getting is a great help

The first job will be the fan, I have never heard it, it's a one previous owner car and I know she had a few dogs, there were hairs everywhere, I expect the fan to be clogged up with them.
    I'm currently running with the window open my customers don't understand that A/C works best with windows closed
    I find that when its hot and I've been doing a bit of driving round the city it won't switch to EV, I presume that's because the battery is too hot?

I checked with the dealer about any recalls on the inverter pump, there wasn't one done in the uk for that issue, so I will replace and drain/refill, I can hear the pump running but can't see a lot of activity in the coolant bottle, and I'm sure I'm looking at the right one as well.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any time that it's warm and you've driven for 30 min or more then you'll probably be able to hear it. Normally it shouldn't be loud enough to hear from the drivers seat. But if you stop (leaving the car in ready mode) and go around to the rear seat, you can put your ear next to the vent and hear it whispering away.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is a recall on the inverter pump in the UK "even with the pump showing no problems" along with a steering shaft problem so get your dealer to recheck the situation. I had my car done a few months ago.
    Changing the pump also requires them to change the fluid "Toyota instructions with pump change" so you should get the fluid changed FOC along with the pump.

Make it clear to the dealer that you have read the Toyota instructions on line for the pump and fluid change or they will just clamp off the hoses and leave the old fluid in there, selling the fluid that Toyota supply with the pump to make extra profit.

Be careful when changing the transmission fluid as the US quarts are smaller than the UK quarts and are actually much closer to a litre than two pints, so buy 4ltrs. Four quarts would grossly overfill the transmission.

The A/C will discharge the HV battery faster when used as it runs directly from the battery so when in use the windows should be closed to allow the cold air to be drawn in to the battery. Leaving the windows open and using the A/C could actually increase the HV battery temperature as it is working harder to run the A/C and taking in air at around 28 C.

John (Britprius)

Data Daedalus likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you intend changing the engine coolant and if it has not already done you should. Check on the capacity in the hand book if you do not have one let me know and I will check for you.

Again the quantity is much smaller than the US not only for the reasons in my previous post, bout the UK Prius does not have a coolant thermos bottle, valve system, and pump that the US version does. This makes the capacity much smaller, and the system is simpler to bleed air from.

John (Britprius)

8. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info John,
    According to my dealer I have no outstanding recalls on my car, they were doing the steering recall when they checked for me.

My customers are not the sharpest knives in the drawer, you get the car cool with the A/C they then get in and open all the windows, at that point I switch off the A/C and hope that the incoming breeze is having a positive effect on the battery

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Turn the back windows off with the child switch on the front door rest. Then tell them your waiting for repairs.

John (Britprius)

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Your backwards there aren't you?

Trans takes 4 US quarts. Done mine twice.

4 liters would grossly overfill the trans.

US Quart 32 ounces
    UK Liter 35.1

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now I'm not being rude here but maybe they are opening the window because the car smells bad. And they do not want to be rude to you and mention it. Common complaint here on this site about stinky ac.

If the AC e-coil box under the dash is not serviced/cleaned regularly the car will smell moldy. Gym socks is the most quoted smell on this site.

Some people do not notice it others smell it instantly. You may not notice it. Do you smoke also in the car?

If I routinely transported people in my car I would keep up on that service.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Ed. Britprius is referring to the UK quarter gallon, which is about 1.15 litres. Yes 4 litres is a little too much, but 4 UK quarts is even more. OP probably wont have US quarts available in the UK, so next best thing is to buy 4L.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd be tempted to check and double check the 12v battery too.

In my taxi experience I think I heard the HV battery fan about 2 or 3 times. I think it's harder to hear on a RHD car than the LHD because of where the vent is. It sounds like an old fashioned hair dryer. Also, don't be alarmed at the horrific noise from the front when you run the a/c on high on a hot day. Sounds like a buzzing or electrical transformer noise. It's just the compressor. Are you mistaking that for your inverter pump?

And to our American friends - a/c is fairly new in the UK (last 20 years) on lower end cars and many erm how do I say this politely, older or more mature people don't quite 'get' it. It used to drive me nuts on a hot day when you'd have the car nice and cold and some old lady would get it and immediately lower their window!?! I gave up telling them in the end.

14. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the tips, I wasn't aware that there were stinky a/c issues, mine is ok, I have just had the car valeted and the car has never been smoked in by me or the previous owner

I am due to have the a/c regassed as its not as cold as I would like it

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No the UK quart has 20% more volume than a US quart so putting in 4 UK quarts would be a 20% overfill.

US Quart 32 ozs, UK ltr 35.1 ozs, UK Quart 40 ozs

Filling with 4 UK quarts would be an overfill of exactly 1 US quart. The reason I suggested buying 4 ltrs and not
    4 quarts.

John (Britprius)

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Be aware have the regassing done at the dealers or make sure the workshop it is done at uses the correct ND11 oil. Also make sure the equipment used is not used on non hybrid cars.

An electrical ground fault in the compressor can very easily be caused by contaminating the oil in the A/C system with standard PAG oil. Your looking at towards £1000 for a new compressor fitted and will not be covered by guarantee.

John (Britptius)

17. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Grumpy Cabby, I fitted a brand new 12v just after buying the car as I was getting lots of strange messages on the mfd, they have stopped now.

Love your summary of "old folk" and A/C, I have it here in Plymouth except its not an age thing here.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  18. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got to the HV fan without any issues thanks to the threads that were recommended.
    It was very clean, no fluff, hair or anything that would cause it to stop, it spins freely and when I connected it to 12v it span nicely, and boy can it move some air!!!
    I have come to the conclusion that it has not been hot enough for the fan to kick in yet, now I have head it in motion I know what to listen for.
    Total time to strip, clean and reassemble was about an hour

19. Jayw13702

Jayw13702 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The noise I hear last or about 10-15 seconds and sounds like a pump that's building up pressure, if I have the ignition so there is a green light on the power button and I press the brake I can hear it then, I'm beginning to think its some sort of pressure pump for the brakes.

20. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That is indeed the brake pressure pump working.

John (Britprius)