1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some initial solar performance numbers in AZ on a HOT day

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Jul 8, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Took some temp readings today w/ an IR thermometer after my car had parked for 3 hours in the AZ sun.

When it's 104°F outside (after 5 minutes of driving), under the direct sun, the temp of the air coming out of the vents can be as high as 125°F due to the solar gain off the intake grill. Coolest point in the car was 116°F pointing at the floor near the driver's seat. OAT showed 109°F when first started. This was with a heat shield, around 1:30pm in Phoenix.

I think this system would perform better if the ventilation system equipment outside was a close to white as possible w/o being unsightly or glare-inducing.

I'd assert that w/o solar or heat shield that the interior would have been MUCH hotter!

On cooler days, the difference between outside and inside is much closer.

On a different note, in the morning, I took temps w/ an IR thermometer of both hoods, the BP hood was 93°F at 9:45am. the Tideland Pearl hood was 116°F in the same level of sunlight. Light colors do have a chance at being cooler!

2. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That's still pretty impressive. Any idea how hot the inside of the car would be without the solar vent turned on just for comparison sake?

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep meaning to test this, but I haven't been able to park in a consistent spot, nor have I been willing to sweat it out lately. The temps will cool off a tad tomorrow and the next day, maybe I'll try it then.