1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some insider notes on the 2017 Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Danny, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Li-ion batteries have been steadily improving in cost and performance since the Volt and Leaf first came to market. The gen1 Volt actually improved its range a little mid-cycle, and the gen2 has a larger capacity battery, that is smaller, while greatly cutting the model's price with the help of other improvements. So the Prime might get a couple more miles of EV on the refresh.

Doubling the density in the next few years though. Ain't going to happen. The yearly cost improvements have been better than the predicted 7% when the federal tax credit was written into law. So the technology is progressing faster than expected.

Other chemistries and battery types have shown promise in the lab, but are still in the lab. Phinergy has an Al-air battery running on a demo BEV as a range extender to the Li-ion. With ALcoa's backing that is likely the next non-lithium battery we'll see in a plug in.

Ursamajor likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. I wasn't there when that journalist asked the question. Remember that Toyota is still a conservative company. They preferred not to release something unless they're absolutely sure it's reliable and functional. You don't want a battery issue to surface 3-5 years down the road and the associated media frenzy.

Koji Toyoshima is the chief engineer of the 4th Gen Prius.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you!

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And the associated cost of a plug-battery recall could be astronomical if all battery packs had to be replaced.

As consumers, we're too used to thinking in terms of computer industry schedules, but the computer industry builds to vastly lower quality and reliability standards than automobiles. I'm not knocking the computer industry, it's just that we don't expect our computers to have the kind of durability that a car has.

#104 Rebound, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  5. UserError

UserError Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder how much that 11" screen and other options will cost. I already have 1k reserved with the dealer for a non plugin.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too. wondering. on pip 1, the goodies were big dollars.

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Don't expect to get the "self charging" PIP from Canada! We -usually- get less options than the US. And we get the cars a few months after you do. Or more.

Welcome to the third world. ;)

BUT, we DO have the PIP for sale here.

Being in the "cold white north" I had pretty much figured no "electric car" or "partial electric car" would ever be practical. We need heat man!! Lots of heat! For 6-7 months of the year. But somewhere I read (can't find it now of course) this car is fine at -10 deg. So it might actually be very practical for someone like me. I drive a maximum of 30 km most of the time before putting the car back in the garage, where it could be recharging. No more short trip mileage hits!
    The only problems I see is I may forget where the gas station is and the fuel in the car might go stale before I get to burn it. ;)

#107 David Beale, Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on TCI's press release, it looks like we get the same options minus Entune. Europe doesn't get the 11.6" screen for example (but their base screen size is larger at 8" vs. 7" for North America).

Yes the heater will work to -10°C before the engine comes on to heat the car. I was also told pre-heating is available but neither the US nor Canadian press release mention it (they just mention pre-cooling).

I agree. I trust Toyota with my dollar more than a competitor. I'm willing to opt for bigger ticket items on a Toyota but if I were purchasing another, I will be hesitant to add expensive options and stick to the basics (like audio or heated seats upgrades). People were asking me me "what happens if the radar fails?" or "what happens if the solar panel fails" on my Gen 3. I simply said, "If it fails, it'll be an expensive repair but given that it's a Toyota, the likelihood of that is low".

john1701a likes this.
  9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Oh! I totally forgot about the pre-heat benefit of having a heat-pump available.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that would be great.

11. Mark Monroe

Mark Monroe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am liking most of what I am reading so far. I just hope it has a spare tire. Putting the spare on the Gen3 and being back on the road is literally a less-than-10-minute job - at night, in the dark or rain, whenever. Please have a spare.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Sorry, no spare.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No spare. Tire repair kit on the left side, under the floor.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hey, as long as you can get up and running in 15 or 20 minutes, no biggie.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @Tideland Prius, any info about Prime with emergency power connection-ready for North America.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No but I suspect it won't be available since the last PiP and current Mirai have it as options and they never made it across the Pacific. I can certainly ask. I'm still waiting for the first batch of responses that I sent out. I think they're pretty busy after the long weekend.

Sergiospl likes this.
  18. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    @Tideland Prius

Do you think that the visibility out the back of the Prime would be any better or worse than the gen4?

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Huh, I forgot to look out the rear window of the Prime while in the driver's seat! :oops:.

I was told that their biggest challenge was making that double wave rear glass without any visual distortion when you looked out the rear window. They somehow managed to do that.

KrPtNk likes this.
  20. KrPtNk

KrPtNk Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Thanks

I thought that the rear glass area might be larger.

How long do you think it will be before they have some cars and invite the the press for test drives?