1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some interesting Recall happenings. Need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Bennett, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after about 20 days...
    ...and written complaint to Toyota Ireland head office, I have received schedule to complete the recall (by adjusting the wheel alignment on Wednesday 29th. I am also getting the both lock nuts replaced for brand new ones at the same time.

Question: the uneven wear on the front tyres at 2mm and 3mm , would this affect the wheel alignment? Should I swap these wheels to the rear of the car for the wheel alignment procedure? (The rear tires are nearly new)

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The wheel alignment is not affected by the condition of the tyres, but bad wheel alignment will ware the tyres rapidly and unevenly across the tyres.

John (Britprius)

3. Agape

Agape Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has completed the recall, prior to the commencement of the works the tire pressure has been corrected and the newer tires were moved to the front.

- alignment results attached.

Finally after weeks the issue has been corrected, two new locknuts on the track rod ends were replaced.

My total loss for this recall:
    Two lengthy letters to Toyota head office
    Three mornings at the dealership's
    4EUR (cost of two locknuts)
    Some petrol
    Time...!

Achieved: The steering part has been replaced (I hope), the wheel alignment is same/ similar as before the recall, two brand new locknuts replaced the old ones.

Can someone help to interpret whether discrepancy in left/right Camber would have significant effect on the tire wear?

Attached Files:

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The camber at those figures will not cause any problems with tyre ware. To much camber can cause the tyres to ware on the inside edges.

John (Britprius)

Agape likes this.