1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some maintenance questions from new owner

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Legogo, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Legogo

Legogo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    it's about 3000 miles since I have changed my engine oil (0-20)
    How often do you change your engine oil and which is better 0-20 or 5-30?
    And my EV coolant is on minimum level. I don't know what is the label of current coolant, may I add other label and mix them?
    Mine is Prius C 2014 (233000 miles)

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I only know US specs, your oil may not meet US specs, or it might meet EU specs, I don't know)

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM52D73U/pdf/OM52D73U.pdf US owners manual

You change engine oil every 10,000 miles 0W-20, unless you have special usage, which you might in Azerbaijan.
    Virtually all 0W-20 will be synthetic, which you want.

Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil
    Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20

If you have 233,000 miles you want all new coolant

U.S.A.: “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” is a mixture of 50% coolant and 50% deionized water. (Minimum temperature: -31F [-35C])
    Canada: “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” is a mixture of 55% coolant and 45% deionized water. (Minimum temperature: -44F [-42C])

Use either of the following:• “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” • A similar high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology. Do not use plain water alone.

3. Legogo

Legogo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you very much.
    What about idemitsu zepro 0-20? russians has a good opinion about it (using for aqua) on their forums
    I'm not sure if the coolant is old because visually it seems well. Hope prev. owner changed it. Is it okay to add other label coolant to existing or the only way is to change whole fluid?

4. dig4dirt

dig4dirt MoonGlow

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you are still on original coolant, you will want to change it. Any doubts, change it so you know it is good.

However, the min mark on the coolant reserve will fluctuate a bit, so may not need to top it off.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    https://www.idemitsulubricants.com/dA/00174e021c/tds-zepro-eco-medalist-advanced-moly-0w-20.pdf
    I see no reason not to use it.

So long as it is "high-quality ethylene glycol-based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite, and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology" I think you are fine.

6. Legogo

Legogo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    our petrol is too bad quality therefore I think 5000 miles are enough for oil change
    and is it good to use 0-20 even if odometer shows 230000 miles?
    I'm asking, because local servicemen suggest to use 5-30.
    They often cheat so i do not know what is better/

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    5W30 was the second generation Prius oil specification, and if I'm not mistaken the Prius c engine is similar to second generation, perhaps even the same.

If 5W30 is readily available and preferred by servicemen, I'd have no worries about using it. It's slightly thicker, so maybe better for an older engine.

dig4dirt likes this.
  8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It’s harder to cheat with 0W-20 because it’s harder to make. It can only come from a synthetic production process.

5W-30 can come from both conventional and synthetic sources. That means they can use cheap conventional oil and charge you for good synthetic oil, which is a dirty cheat. Either way, the engine will probably be adequately protected, but your fuel efficiency will drop slightly.