1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some n00b questions on my "new" used Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Mattokun, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I’m new to this forum, and recently purchased my 2013 Prius Two. I have never driven a Prius before, so I am probably asking stupid questions, and ask for your understanding (and, hopefully, answers). If any of these question have been discussed elsewhere already, please reference those discussions. So:
    1) Why does the engine always start after a (longer) break (i.e., in the morning when I leave for my commute, and same in the evening on the way back; but also after shopping for half an hour)? The battery is still half full (or more) and still, the engine starts up (although I go at very low speeds) and keeps running for a minute or two. It’s not temperature, I think, b/c the weather was pleasant in some of those instances. The whole idea was to use electric to do the first couple of slow miles?
    2) I have some warranty left on the power train and battery. For the battery, it’s warrantied that the capacity stays at or above 70% (or 80%? I’d have to check). But I wonder how I can find out what the actual capacity is, and also what it should be (i.e., how do I know where I stand, so to speak)?
    3) Why does my battery never get completely loaded, even if I drive highway for longer times and the electric motor is not used? The battery level meter is always 1 or 2 bars below full.
    4) The tires I got with my purchase are about the cheapest they could possibly put their hands on. So, if I need new ones, what would be good ones with respect to low rolling resistance? Probably there has been ample discussion about this already, so if someone could post links to those discussions, it would be appreciated.
    5) Is there a way to switch off the beep-beep when going reverse?
    6) and this is only a side-question: It would be kinda nice if the Prius could be charged plug-in. Has anyone ever developed something like this? Why was this not part of the car from the get-go?

bisco likes this.
  2. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The engine runs early to warm up, it's a smog control issue.
    Unless you drive down a long steep downgrade your battery will never indicate full, it is designed not to. You do not need to tend to the battery, that's the computers job and in normal driving the battery is full to the computer with 2 bars remaining.
    Tires, seems Michelin and Continental make good Lrr tires, I've got Michelins on my Avalon Hybrid, I had a 2011 Prius 2 before that, still had the original Bridgestone ep 20's on it when I sold it. Never really had a complaint about those tires..
    The Beep-Beep, can be changed at the dealership usually for a fee or you can do it yourself with some special equipment (You can use the search function on this site for more info.)
    Prius made and still make a plug in Hybrid a Gen 1 fro 2012 to 2015 and a Gen 2 from 2016-17. I don't think you can convert your Prius or if you can, it would probably be better to trade your car in on a new or used Pip (plug in Prius). Hope I was able to help

RCO likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) the engine has to come up to a certain minimum temp for pollution reasons. the prius was designed to be the lowest polluting car first, and best mpg's second.

2) the battery warranty is for years/miles, not percent. the car will light up the dash if it fails, and if you are under the years/miles, whichever comes first, they will replace it for free.

3) the gauge you see is only a percent of the total battery capacity. toyota reserves charge at the top and bottom to extend the life of the battery. under the right conditions, the gauge will show 8 full green bars, or 2 low purple bars, but fairly infrequently.

4) michelin energy save a/s.

5) dealer

6) 2012 through 2015 plug in prius, available at many used car lots, crags list, car max and dealers. 2017 prius prime, available at some toyota dealers currently, for as low as $17,500.

7) all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  4. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great replies, thanks to you guys Munpot42 and bisco!!

bisco likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    3) Why does my battery never get completely loaded, even if I drive highway for longer times and the electric motor is not used? The battery level meter is always 1 or 2 bars below full.

You want a fair amount of battery charge as it offers the computers an alternative to running the gas engine when that would be inefficient, so it tries for 6 bars.

You do not want the battery 'full'* or you have no place to put more power, so your regenerative brakes don't work. (there are other brakes, but they waste 100% of the energy, regen only wastes 70%) So the computers try to save room for braking. A long steep downhill will 'fill' the the battery and you will hear the engine braking, it can get quite busy!

BTW, you will find the electric motors are actually very busy at highway speeds.

* The computers never let the battery get fully charged or discharged, for longevity. 'Full' is just the limit the computers will charge by choice. They do not want to shorten it's life.

RCO likes this.
  6. Mattokun

Mattokun Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, JimboPalmer. I kinda get the idea about not draining the battery completely, I was just not sure about why not topping it off when possible. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad that this seems to be normal, I was afraid sth wrong with my battery and/or electronics already. Thanks!