1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some new information on the non-US bound solar roof

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I think the Japanese government is pushing for self-sustainability for emergency situations after the Fukushima disaster as well as the 2011 earthquake. This is probably why the Japanese manufacturers are offering the DC-Out plug on their PHEVs/BEVs/FCEVs to use in emergencies. The solar panel on the Prime is probably an extension of it. I guess they figured in the U.S., we can walk into Home Depot and buy a diesel generator if we really need backup power.

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...if you left the car parked in the sun all week or more, could it totally charge the 8 kwhr? or is it limited to the a certain amount?

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the thing. We don't know the capacity of the small NiMH battery. The solar panel is rated at 180W (I assume that's peak), assuming ideal conditions (No shading from clouds or buildings or trees on an annually averaged length of day and solar insolation), I think someone said it'll take about 10 days to top up the HV battery (or however large the capacity that Toyota is using to get 22 miles)

4. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Tideland Prius - My understanding is the current Toyota solar panel is not even connected to the HV battery. If true, it cannot charge it at all. Now, do we believe the G4's solar panel will be connected?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, we do. it's not a matter of belief, but facts. the gen 3 solar roof was to power a fan to remove hot air from the car.
    prime solar roof is to charge the battery. you can find all the tech details on priuschat.

Felt likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well we don't know that but we do know there's a separate NiMH battery that's used as "temporary storage" according to translation.

7. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What you charge when the car is parked is used later for driving. Such a separate storage in the NiMH battery makes that you can charge it in addition to a fully charged HV battery. So you can have more charge with you to start with than only in the HV battery, and therefore an extended EV range. If the solar panels simply would charge the HV battery, then you would not have such an extension of the EV range.

Tideland Prius and drash like this.
  8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have this sneaking suspicion that Toyota will limit it somehow to prevent a full battery at rest (storage/extended parking). The NiMH can be seen as a buffer and not a very large one. I'd be surprised if the NiMH battery was able to store more than twice the max output of the solar panel, which is about 570 W/h. My best guess is the NiMH is about 280 Wh or less.

Unsupervised!

9. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is 1.3 kWh. Who else?

But the usable part can be less, maybe 60% (from 20% to 80%), so what remains would be 780 Wh. This probably is 10-15% of the usable part of the 8.8 kWh HV battery, which explains the claim that 10% extra EV range can be achieved by the solar roof.

#49 Jan Treur, Jun 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    drash likes this.
  10. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey...why did the Gen3 solar roof pass USA roof strength test? while the Prime solar roof does not? That might be a good question.

11. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the articles I read specifically mentions the non-US bound Prime solar roof used reinforced glass as the base for the solar cells. To meet US automotive safety requirements, the solar roof needs to be on laminated safety glass.

Unsupervised!

wjtracy likes this.
  12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    From the translations, it sounds like the NiMH acts as a charging buffer, but the details exactly how it works, and why are light. Perhaps it could charge the main pack once that small one is full; don't know either way yet.
    Perhaps the electric generation rate of the panels is too low, or simply too variable, for efficient charging of the main pack directly.
    As Jan Treur states, it could be to allow the benefit of a solar charge with a full main pack. I'll add more in that it might be needed in order to solar charge and grid charge at the same time.
    Which will likely increase cost. That wasn't a big deal for the small panel to run the gen3 fan, or the panel was small enough to not need to meet said requirement, or it is a newer requirement.

My guess is that US regulations is treating the Prime panel as a glass roof because of its size.

drash, Tideland Prius and Felt like this.
  13. mozdzen

mozdzen Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Tesla Model S
    If the solar option cost $1 more, I'd decline it. In fact, I'd decline it if were free. It just seems like too much of a liability for too little benefit if any.

Felt likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think i would take it for free, but i would want more info first.

edit: and not from a dealer.

15. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd probably have to test drive one with the solar roof and one without. Of course I might end up with a Prime long before it showed up as a U.S. option.

iPad ?

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my only problem is, i park in the shade whenever possible.

17. I will claim ignorance, and pardon my curiosity...
    In this day and age, why did they make a car that needs to use THREE batteries, instead of the one (or two of traditional hybrids), just to go 20-something miles on electric? Why not just have ONE battery to do it all...? This just seems so clunky and complex.

Felt likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't charge the battery, and deplete it at the same time. apparently.

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    We have open lots closest to my work building, but prefer to walk a bit to keep the car in a parking structure rain or shine. No UV exposure, no hot car, no rain, no bird droppings = priceless.

Tideland Prius, mozdzen and bisco like this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 12V is a curiosity especially since Hyundai will not be equipping the Ioniq with a 12V battery. I can understand why it's there - it's used to boot up the computers, and a live 12V (to run the radio and lights when the car is off, as well as boot up the computers) is safer than a live 288V hybrid battery. Hyundai is using Li-polymer for their battery chemistry vs. li-ion or NiMH for everyone else so maybe Li-polymer allows for that trickle drain.

As for the 3rd battery for the solar roof, I don't have a definite answer (they never mentioned it and I never thought to asked because like everyone else here, I assumed it charged the Li-Ion battery directly) but my guess is that this allows the car to take advantage of the solar roof while parked in the sun AND hooked up to the charging station. This means there isn't two sources charging the same battery.