1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some part of Hybrid System not coverd under warranty? Dealer Scare Tactics?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ride43, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 8yr/100k mile warranty isn't one for the hybrid system, but for the emission control one. It is federally mandated for the catalytic converter and other critical emission controls. The hybrid battery and supporting hardware was ruled part of the emission controls. Some hybrids can still run without the battery, but emissions will go up.

The PSD is part of the transmission, and thus should be covered under the drive train warranty.

bisco likes this.
  2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've been fed that line by the dealer since the first car I ever test drove: a 1998 Honda Prelude. The new OBD2 port with the fancy computer diagnostics (ECM) just came out. Replacement on that item alone is thousands of dollars alone. The car has two airbags and ABS brakes that rely on electronics that may fail. Look! A CD player with 6 speakers! Those are expensive

Just because they are electronic tech doesn't mean they are more or less susceptible to failure than mechanical.

3. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tell them "Now you have me worried, I think I should probably get last year's model. I'm going to start shopping for a used one" then head for the door and see what they say.

Many years ago I was in one of those large electronics stores that used to be popular Circuit City and was I going to buy an electronic item I think maybe a portable CD player or something. The salesperson just wouldn't give up on the extended warranty no matter how clear I was that I didn't want it. She eventually started talking about how these items quite often fail after one year. At that point I asked to speak to her manager. He came out and I said I am very concerned about the products that you sell here, this lady is telling me that these often fail after just a year. He looked pretty unhappy and just said something or other to reassure me that they are good products etc. I wasn't really worried, it was a Panasonic or something, I just wanted to make my point. I hope I didn't get her fired but hopefully she was told to lighten up with the scare tactics.

mmmodem likes this.
  4. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The so-called finance manager is paid by commission. If he doesn't sell you something extra, he doesn't get a paycheck. On all types of these extended service contracts the profit is substantial and there is no cost to carry it...no inventory cost, nada. The profit on the service contract can be greater than the profit on the item.

If one does choose to buy the erroneously named extended warranty (these are service contracts and come under contract law, not warranty law) buy only the one from the vehicle maker, and do check on-line pricing from any dealership in the country. Find the best deal and either buy that or ask your local dealership to match it. Third party service contracts leave you with nothing if that underwriter goes bust.

Should you buy one? Think of these as peace-of-mind insurance. They hardly ever pay off; as much as we hate a big repair bill, if we can afford it we are better off without the insurance. If having it helps you sleep better, though, buy it.

5. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Same thing here. I was told that I was not interested in saving money. I told them that I was and that is why I am not buying their extended warranty or prepaid service agreement. Both of which were insanely over priced. The whole interaction was very frustrating. I complained to the dealer and to Toyota. Neither of them seemed to care.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's when they show their true colors eh... Never changes.

Just another example, possible warranty excluisions: there was some component on 3rd gen Prius (regular, hatchback), that is physically inside the inverter case that has been seeing some failures, and Toyota Canada (and Toyota USA?) are saying it is not part of the inverter, not covered. Maybe @Tideland Prius can recall the details?

7. Dennis_MA

Dennis_MA Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not had any problems with stuff not being covered on the last few Toyota’s that I have had. With the other cars I am usually able to argue up the chain and get it fully or reasonably covered.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Believe it or not, if you got her fired, it could have been due to your refusal to buy an extended warranty. I knew a bunch of people that worked there- or similar stores. Their marching orders were pretty simple- sell extended warranties or you'll be fired. They even had a quota, which I believe was a percentage of their sales. It got to a point where certain salespeople would refuse to ring up a purchase if you weren't going to purchase an extended warranty. If they knew you weren't going to purchase one, sometimes they'd simply disappear and let someone else handle the transaction. Crazy.

Since2002 likes this.
  9. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I actually wonder if maybe I got her promoted after her manager realized how aggressive she was.

10. RJ Primw

RJ Primw Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Perfect response.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wish my warranty manual were as succinct as your post. a decent lawyer could probably argue most of it for or against toyota or the owner.:rolleyes:

12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I should add that the Toyota extended warranty is voided if the car is used for ride sharing for profit (Lyft).

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. this one

IPM Extended Warranty (Canada?) | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.