1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some people say snake oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Piro133a, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Piro133a

Piro133a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I see a few posts on here about seafoam...people asking about where a suitable vacuum line is....and many people replying that it's snake oil. I'm planning on using some, along with Lucas oil stabilizer, on mine because I have some rough starts and stops of the engine....not horribly rough, but not ideal. I will be running the seafoam through the throttle body intake/plate.

I think we should look at documented evidence. There is a guy who does some great test videos of various products (additives and other stuff like duct tapes, epoxies etc) on YouTube. His channel is called projectfarm. Check out this video on seafoam (he has a few others with before and after piston comparisons) youtu.be/agAWXnT4-EQ

My own anecdotal past experience:
    I once had a 1993 jeep Cherokee (inline six) which was having a problem where it wouldn't start sometimes. I brought it into the dealer for a 60$ diagnosis. They told me it was the neutral safety switch and that I could always start it if I jiggled the gear shift just right (and they showed me this, which was a great help). They had also, however!, emptied the oil for some reason and gave me the car back with no oil --I guess just enough residue to keep it running for 30ish miles. I ran that car for 3 days without oil wondering why it was running rough. I decided to check why it was running rough.... checked the oil and screamed out loud. I put in oil and put in New transmission fluid because it had been pretty dark. The car ran better, but was still pretty rough in starting and idle. So! I got Lucas oil stabilizer and seafoam. I ran the seafoam half through the gas tank and half through a vacuum line....let it get a big enough gulp at the end through the vacuum line that the engine died. I let it sit for 20 minutes and then started it.

There was a VERY distinct difference between before (before being after I had put new oil in and driven a bit) and after smoothness and engine power--the engine now started and idled smoothly....driving the engine it was more responsive (this part could be in my head, I suppose). I learned to love seafoam and Lucas products and I know, after having 3 jeeps, that jeep inline six engines are really bulletproof (but everything else...pumps, radiators, and electronics on jeeps are kinda shitty compared to Toyota parts)

2. Piro133a

Piro133a Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know a lot of people also quote data on contents of products. This a great thing to consider, but it says nothing of purity or production. I have used cheap engine oil that was clearly recycled and contained sediment at the bottom of the bottle....i was broke, so it was all I could afford.....yet I'm sure the data sheets probably showed similar contents to other oils which were higher quality and formulation. Same goes with plant products: some hemp oil, even organic hemp oil, is produced in China in fields which are polluted by heavy metals. The Chinese know that the hemp readily absorbs the heavy metals making the land usable for farming again. You buy some expensive organic hemp oil for pain and get deadly contents.

#2 Piro133a, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  3. KevininFl

KevininFl Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Watch his review of Lucas then watch his review of Motorkote.I would not recomend Lucas oil stabilizer, the regular or the sythetic.Also watch test of Motorkote on youtube, it is great stuff.