1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Prime Questions

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by chiefofsages, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On the hills question, there is one monster hill here on RT 2 out of Cambridge that eats gas mileage for lunch. I can hit the bottom of the hill at speed in full EV and before I reach the top the ICE will turn on. I even know almost exactly what part of the hill it will happen. I have tried adjusting and doing what I can think of to have it not do this, but every time it has turned on. It then takes a good 3 more miles before it will go back to EV mode. It isn't even a very long hill just steep and mean. I would average 36MPG on my Camry Hybrid which was rated at 34 MPG, but on days I had to drive that hill my mileage for the round trip would be about 28MPG.

Other than this hill I have had no problems staying in EV under normal driving conditions. And on just low rolling hills it isn't an issue.

2. chiefofsages

chiefofsages New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't know about 2-3 years, but I know that it was never my plan to hold on to it until it crapped out. The only reason I didn't get a plug-in at that time was that they didn't have any useful range at the time, or were out of my price range.

I've seen too many family members and friends hold on to their cars and end up needing to drop up to a thousand dollars at a time into the car just to get it to run. Then they've been left with a choice of having to coordinate without a car for a time or having to come up with that cash quickly so they can get their car back on the road.

Even though it's more expensive, I'd prefer a level of reliability and predictable cost. At this point, the only thing left under warranty on my car is the battery. If anything else goes, it's 100% out of my pocket. If I got a new car, the only thing I have to pay for is the fuel and monthly payments, which are predictable.

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The cost of the new car will pay for repairs on your 2014 until you are retired.

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    But they won't have TSS-P. I sold a paid-off Gen-3 because TSS-P is of value to me.

Sure I could have gotten a POS gasser with TSS-P but it would not match 1,200 miles at 55 MPG. When I finally retire, I will have to pay my operational costs and the Prius Prime Plus is affordable.

Bob Wilson

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My car resembles that remark!
    My 2017 Prius Two has TSS-P (as standard), you know!

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah...I have many reasons for buying a 2017 Prime to replace my nearly-perfect 2004 Prius, but I wouldn't be doing that if I were concerned about next month's mortgage payment. My grandma always told me never to buy something I couldn't afford, so I've never bought anything aside from my house using credit.

7. chiefofsages

chiefofsages New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    From a financial point of view, this is a stupid move. Yes, I'd be better off keeping my 14 and driving it into the ground, keeping up with minor repairs until it gets to a point where it's no longer usable or worth salvaging (at which point I'd be pressed to get a new(er) car).

I won't make any money or wind up owning the car if I keep doing this, but at least I'll be getting upgrades every few years with nothing to worry about but car payments. And who knows? Maybe Toyota won't come out with anything in the next five years worth upgrading to. In a couple of years, the tax credits that make the car affordable could be gone, and it will make buying another plug-in not worth it. And what if I get to the end of my car payment and I want to upgrade, but there's no help? I'd rather upgrade while I know I can get the assistance instead of hoping it will be there in a few years.

8. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All good points. And the tax credit may be gone sooner than we think. Strike while the iron is hot.

9. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Sounds like you should consider leasing cars, rather than buying, if that is your main criteria.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It depends upon how you rate TSS-P. Sad to say, you can't really understand it from the usual suspects.

You know your financial situation much better than I. But you also know your requirements. I was lucky as the eddies of time made buying the 2017 Prius to replace our 2010 Prius make sense. This is not anything anyone else can answer as they do not pay your bills or earn your income.

Do what makes sense for you and your family. Do not get wrapped around the axle because others have a different situation.

GOOD LUCK!
    Bob Wilson

#30 bwilson4web, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    joelp, Kramah313 and Prodigyplace like this.