1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Rather Unusual Information About the Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by javawizard, Sep 16, 2006.

1. BobZ

BobZ New Member

Prius in Latin means to go before, not first. The Latin word for first is Primoris

2. iaowings

iaowings New Member

“Perhaps the most worrisome of all pollutants has turned out to be carbon dioxide. There is 28% more carbon dioxide in the air than there was in 1906, and that is likely to cause continuing global warming. So, by driving a Prius instead of a car that gets half the gas mileage, you are releasing half as much CO2, and other pollutants, and that's a good thing!â€

The Prius uses I believe a three stage catalyt (?spelling? anyone) converter.
    With your logic I can say that an old 60’s VW bug that can get 30- 40 mpg creates almost equal amounts of pollution as the Prius. The technology in the prius’s exhaust system helps to drastically reduce pollutants. Using the same logic a diesel releases the same amount of co2 as a prius maybe even less when it gets better mpg.
    I am no expert in cars and engine design/performance. please use some form of scientific evidence to back up your claims.

3. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Sep 16 2006, 07:23 PM) [snapback]320716[/snapback]</div>
    I have the chip embedded in my chest drawing power from my pace-maker. It works pretty good except sometimes I get a big jolt and my eyes cross when I push the door-lock button.

I got the mod from Coastal with a bag of jelly beans.

4. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Sep 19 2006, 06:02 AM) [snapback]321585[/snapback]</div>
    Not quite. "Prius" means "at first" as in "previously." It's an adverb. "Primus" is the usual word for first. (Secundus-second, tertius-third, etc.) "Ire" means "to go." "Pre + ire" could be kludged together to make a word "preire" that means "to go before" but that isn't the source of Prius, at least among Latin students. "Primoris" implies the genitive and means "first" in the context of "first among." "Primoris hominorum": "first among men."

But it's been a long time and I'm not certain of my memory on this.